The Student Room Group

The Ultimate TV Show and Miniseries Recommendations Thread

Scroll to see replies

Fargo's first 3 episodes have been great.
Reply 81
I've just started 'Sons of Anarchy' - Has anyone watched this and what do you think of it?
Reply 82
Original post by Ronhaar
I've just started 'Sons of Anarchy' - Has anyone watched this and what do you think of it?

It is really good, but like with most US shows it has gone on for too long, but the earlier seasons are very enjoyable.
Something like True Detectives please?

Was recommended Fargo, but that show is just terrible. The acting is so off putting, hate the awkwardness portrayed. I just can't take the show seriously, and its so slow moving.
Original post by itsmyname

Was recommended Fargo, but that show is just terrible. The acting is so off putting, hate the awkwardness portrayed. I just can't take the show seriously, and its so slow moving.

It's meant to portray awkwardness, a bit like the film did.
Reply 85

Twin Peaks
The Bridge?
The Killing?

Fargo is positively rapidly paced compared to True Detective.

And the awkwardness is all a part of the world that the Coens created in the movie Fargo - the shallow 'niceness' of people from Minnesota. And how, when you dig slightly below this exterior of pleasantness and a boring rural setting, you get some really intense, gruesome acts happening - it's awesome.

My recommendation = Fargo!
I'd definitely recommend Chuck to anyone who hasn't seen it. Its a very funny show with great characters and really good action scenes
Recs for tv shows on Netflix Uk
tbh ive seen most of the tv series on there so I need smth ive been missing as the way to get around on netflix is terrible
I like anything tbh just not British tv as ive seen most of the tv shows

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89
Original post by midnight phoenix
Recs for tv shows on Netflix Uk
tbh ive seen most of the tv series on there so I need smth ive been missing as the way to get around on netflix is terrible
I like anything tbh just not British tv as ive seen most of the tv shows

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well there's
The Office USA
House of Cards
Justified
I've just started Orange Is the New Black on Netflix, it's amazing :smile:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply 91
Has anyone watched "The Killing" ? It's on Netflix. Just wanted to know if it was any good?
Reply 92
Original post by Ronhaar
Has anyone watched "The Killing" ? It's on Netflix. Just wanted to know if it was any good?

Didn't watch past Season 1 personally, it just wasn't compelling and interesting enough for me but a lot of people do like it and it did pretty well critically, you might as well give it a go.
Anyone know any series which are like constant twists and turns? Unpredictable plot?

NOT Sherlock, preferably drama and character development which is actually substantial please!
Reply 94
Original post by NikolaT
Anyone know any series which are like constant twists and turns? Unpredictable plot?

NOT Sherlock, preferably drama and character development which is actually substantial please!

From that description Lost is probably your best bet. Also try True Detective, it;s a lot more heavy on character development rather then twists and turns but it;s great.

To a lesser extent you could try Under the Dome, 24, Harper's Island (A mini-series but it's entertaining) and Life (Damian Lewis).
Reply 95
my top shows are (random order) ;

Game of thrones
Breaking bad
The Sopranos
The Wire
True Detective
House of Cards
Reply 96
Original post by ELBOYZ
my top shows are (random order) ;

Game of thrones
Breaking bad
The Sopranos
The Wire
True Detective
House of Cards

Have a rep from me
Justified.
Deadwood.
Hell on Wheels.
Breaking Bad.
The Walking Dead.
Prison Break.
Could anyone suggest anything on Netflix, UK? I don't mind the genre.. here is what I have watched so far:
Breaking Bad
Suits
Orange is the new Black
Breakout Kings
Two and a Half Men
Friends
Dexter
Prison Break
Reply 99
Original post by Toxic_Legends
Could anyone suggest anything on Netflix, UK? I don't mind the genre.. here is what I have watched so far:
Breaking Bad
Suits
Orange is the new Black
Breakout Kings
Two and a Half Men
Friends
Dexter
Prison Break

Misfits
Office USA
Justified
All I can think of right now