The Student Room Group

Can Some help me?

Hi, i'm stack at this question if someone could please help me on it? Explain to me how to work it out.

4. An optical storage disk can store 10 PB of data, the disk is 1 mm in thickness. For every moment since you have been born, a High Definition (HD) video (1,280×720 pixels with the colour information encoded as 24 bits per pixel and a frame rate of 24 fps of your life has been recorded. How high is the stack of optical storage disks used to store the video of your life to date?

thanks
Original post by lucaasz19
Hi, i'm stack at this question if someone could please help me on it? Explain to me how to work it out.

4. An optical storage disk can store 10 PB of data, the disk is 1 mm in thickness. For every moment since you have been born, a High Definition (HD) video (1,280×720 pixels with the colour information encoded as 24 bits per pixel and a frame rate of 24 fps of your life has been recorded. How high is the stack of optical storage disks used to store the video of your life to date?
thanks

Alright, let me give you some help.

What is 1280x720? In essence it is a grid of pixels that form what is known as a resolution. Now you are given that this video is encoded as 24 bits per pixel hence to calculate the total amount of pixels in a single frame of this resolution do 1280x720x24. Now a movie is a continuous sequence of these frames of pixels, so you must then multiply this result by 24 (the number of frames in a single second) and by the amount of seconds you have been living for (which is changing every second so give an approximation) you will then get the total number of bits that is to be saved to this disk. Hence convert 10 PB to bits (this will be a lucrative number, standard form may help) and divide your number of bits for the video by 10 PB converted to bits and the answer will give you the height of the stack in mm.

I suggest using Google to help with these calculations. I hope I helped.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending