The Student Room Group

Moving from a Corporate role into teaching

Hi all

I was wanting to get feedback off anyone who has been in a senior corporate job role and moved into a teacher role and how they found it and if they have any advice.

I currently just left my corporate job earning 55k-60k. Teaching is something i have been looking into for years now but until just recently never took the steps to apply. I have now since applied and have an interview with one course provider but i suppose the fear of the unknown of moving industries is still playing on my mind, as I don’t have nothing to compare it to.

I haven’t yet been in any schools and looking into doing this, however i also potentially have job opportunities on the table that i need to consider from my current sector of work.
I know this choice is solely mine to make but just looking for any advice from people who have been in a similar position.

Thank you
Original post by LEBL
Hi all

I was wanting to get feedback off anyone who has been in a senior corporate job role and moved into a teacher role and how they found it and if they have any advice.

I currently just left my corporate job earning 55k-60k. Teaching is something i have been looking into for years now but until just recently never took the steps to apply. I have now since applied and have an interview with one course provider but i suppose the fear of the unknown of moving industries is still playing on my mind, as I don’t have nothing to compare it to.

I haven’t yet been in any schools and looking into doing this, however i also potentially have job opportunities on the table that i need to consider from my current sector of work.
I know this choice is solely mine to make but just looking for any advice from people who have been in a similar position.

Thank you
Hi @LEBL

I went into teaching a year after university but I worked with a number of teachers who went into the profession as a second, or even a third, career. One thing that really struck me was how they took elements of their previous career into teaching but also adapted incredibly well.

The best advice is to get some experience in a school. Even a day or a few days can really help you make your mind up. Personally, I went into a school and it made me certain that teaching was right for me and the experience also made me realise what age-range was right for me. The corporate world can pay extremely well but so does teaching, as explained here. More importantly, it is such a rewarding career.

Our service would be delighted to help you in any way we can. It is completely free and we give bespoke, 1-2-1 support. We can help you look into gaining school experience and also explore some of the rewards of teaching, as well as helping you delve into some of the ‘unknowns’ you are feeling at this stage.

I hope that you get some really helpful responses on this thread. Your adviser whether it is me or one of my fabulous colleagues would be delighted to give their own perspective and experience of this and if you would like to sign up for our service, get started here.

Best wishes,
Richard
Get Into Teaching

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending