The Student Room Group

really struggling at uni

i'm in first year and i'm really starting to struggle at uni. i feel alone, my weeks feel aimless and have no structure. this sounds daft but i honestly feel like a kid again. i feel vulnerable and scared, i had a panic attack last night over nothing in particular, i think it's because of how i'm feeling. i attend counselling on campus but the appointments are quite far apart. i'm worried about my mental and physical health and i feel trapped, i don't want to go home but also being here is really tough right now and i don't feel like i have a friend to open up to.
Original post by Anonymous
i'm in first year and i'm really starting to struggle at uni. i feel alone, my weeks feel aimless and have no structure. this sounds daft but i honestly feel like a kid again. i feel vulnerable and scared, i had a panic attack last night over nothing in particular, i think it's because of how i'm feeling. i attend counselling on campus but the appointments are quite far apart. i'm worried about my mental and physical health and i feel trapped, i don't want to go home but also being here is really tough right now and i don't feel like i have a friend to open up to.

Anon,

Thanks for sharing. It's good you are being honest about how you feel.

Have you spoken to your family about how you are feeling? Have you had panic attacks before?

I think you do need to talk to your family. It would also be good for you to go home as soon as possible to just share with people you feel comfortable with about how you've been feeling. You can then think about what you might like to do going forward. Perhaps that's attending counselling sessions outside of campus as well as sessions on campus, it might be going to see the GP, or taking a break from studies, or switching to a university closer to home.

You should also talk to your university tutor so that they can direct you to more support services that you might not be aware of at the university. They might also be able to suggest some ways to help you with some of the issues you are dealing with, whether that's homesickness, time management, independent working, forming friendships or a combination of some or all of them.

Even if you don't want to go home, do call home and send an email to your tutor so they know how you are doing.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Hey, I'm so sorry to hear this. It can be so hard to make friends, I know I found it really difficult too. Have you tried to join any clubs or societies? I'd also recommend looking into student ambassador or volunteering work as ways of meeting new people. Do you have any friends from home who you can open up to in the meantime, as well as family member? It's great that you attend counselling on campus, but like Oluwatosin said below perhaps you could speak to your GP about counselling outside of uni as well so it's more regular.

Do you have any hobbies that can help bring some structure to your week? Any activities you can get involved in? Just getting back a bit of a routine can really help.

Please do reach out to loved ones and keep in contact with the support services at your uni, you are not alone in this.

Becky

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling with university life at the moment. I had a very similar problem when I started in 1st year as I had anxiety about all the change that was going on in my life. It's normal to have some anxiety but it sounds like it's starting to take over for you and I'd advise you to seek some advice and support to get you through this tough period.

I would recommend contacting your GP and asking if they could refer you for some counselling outside the university as this should help you talk through some of the worries and concerns you seem to be having. I would also advise that you speak to your family and be honest with them about how you are feeling. Maybe you could arrange a visit home for some comfort or a member of your family could come and visit you to help with some of the anxiety.

I know in my first year speaking regularly with my family and friends back home helped me feel a little less homesick but having some regular counselling also helped ease the anxiety I had. I found that setting myself a timetable for my days really helped me structure my week and feel like I was achieving my goals and settling in. I'd also advise to speak to your course lead to let them know that you are struggling as they can sometimes offer some advice and support to help you support yourself through your studies.

I hope that things start to become a little easier for you soon and that some of these tips can be of some assistance,

Mary
London South Bank University (3rd-year Children's Nursing)

Hi there

I am sorry to hear that you are struggling with University. I understand the feeling of having no structure or feeling aimless, and at times throughout University I do feel like this too. For myself, I think this is mainly because you are given freedom and responsibility over what you need to do. Whilst it may feel overwhelming, having to make many decisions independently, it is a really good step that you have made. You should be proud of yourself for getting into University, and stepping out of your comfort zone.

To overcome this feeling, I would recommend setting yourself a timetable of tasks to do. When you would study, exercise, rest, go to lessons, etc. (Exercise is something I found really helpful in easing my stress and helping me feel more energetic at University.)
It is good that you have reached out to counselling services on campus, and I would recommend to keep going. It is good to have someone to talk about your feelings to. At the same time, ensure you have a healthy routine at University: a good diet, sleep schedule, adequate exercise and rest.

I understand that it is difficult to make close friends at University, especially since it is only the first term. Take your time, attend societies and speak to those in the same lessons as you. Stay positive and try to create a structured routine which you can follow. I am sure things will improve for you. Good luck! :smile:

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Hiya

First off, I'm really glad that you've realized these issues and have had the courage to share your feelings. You've successfully taken the first step towards addressing them. The thing about uni is, you're thrown into this adult life where you have so much independence compared to college that sometimes things are all over the place and you don't know how or where to start fixing them. I believe this is what you're feeling right now and trust me, there are other people in the same boat so you're not alone.

As you've pointed out, presence of people you can rely on and seek support from is very essential in such a situation. If the people you need for this are at home, you should absolutely go. The only thing that staying at uni is doing right now is probably making the situation worse. Go home, talk to people you trust, tell them how you're feeling. I'm sure counselling sessions can still go forward online. If you go for the weekend and think you need more time at home, it's best to let your tutors know so they can understand what you're going through. And if you can't go physically, your family are always just a phone call away!

Once you feel comfortable enough to come back to uni, the best thing to do would be to meet people and make friends. I totally understand that this is easier said than done but it's certainly not impossible. There's plenty of ways to do this- through your course, by joining societies, getting involved in extracurriculars like sports, drama, music or basically anything else that you can think of. Of course this can be difficult so starting with one avenue at a time might make things easier- you don't wanna overwhelm yourself.

I hope this makes things better for you. If you need someone to talk to, you can always send me a PM and I'd be happy to chat 🙂 Good luck

-Himieka
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hello there,
I'm really sorry to hear that you're experiencing such a difficult period. I want you to know that you're not alone in your troubles, even though it takes a lot of guts to be so candid. It's normal to feel overwhelmed during your first year of school because many pupils experience issues.
Although it's great that you're going to therapy on campus, I recognize that the sessions might not be happening frequently enough. If you haven't already, think about getting in touch with your counselor and sharing how you're feeling. They might be in a position to offer more resources or assistance. In addition, mental health services are frequently available at universities, providing more prompt support during emergencies.
Have you considered joining clubs or groups on campus if you are feeling lonely? This could be an excellent way to meet new people with similar interests and possibly become friends. Creating a support network can make a big difference in navigating the challenges of university life.
It is also critical to prioritize your mental and physical health. Are there any activities or hobbies that you enjoy or find relaxing? Incorporating these into your routine can sometimes help add structure and purpose to your days.
Remember that it is acceptable to seek assistance and rely on those around you. You might be surprised by the amount of help available within your university community. Please contact me if you ever need someone to talk to. You are not alone on this journey, and others are concerned about your well-being.
Take care of yourself.
I hope this is helpful.
Kind regards,
Mrunali Kalbhor,
University of Sunderland Student ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending