The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I'd never hit a woman. If worst comes to worst i'd grab her and maybe put her on the ground to restrain her.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
I think what RLove was trying to say is "reasonable force" is key. If a petite woman is coming at you with her feeble little twig-fists, and you could stop her just by holding your arm out and pushing her by the forehead, there's no need to punch her lights out. The same would apply to a massive woman and a weedy little bloke.

So it's less wrong to hit a woman who's stronger than you? (and they do exist)
So it's not about gender, it's about force?

What if you give her one back at the same force?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous Coward
So it's less wrong to hit a woman who's stronger than you? (and they do exist)
So it's not about gender, it's about force?

What if you give her one at back the same force?

If she's the instigator, and you use reasonable force i.e restraining her where possible, or incapacitate where otherwise applicable, I don't really see anything wrong with that.

I think the reason that hitting women who start the violence is seen to be more wrong is that men are GENERALLY stronger and therefore probably more able to just stop the woman (mentioned above) rather than having to deck her to get her to stop. Obviously if a woman was able to restrain a man who was assaulting her, then that is what she should do also. Whether any of these things can be proved in a court of law is another matter.

Just my two cents.
Reply 43
How many women are 4ft for starters?
And where do we draw the line?

Is it just as bad to hit a 5'5 weedy 19 male?
Is it okay if the woman is heavier than you?
Is it less bad if she's a bodybuilder?

Hitting is wrong regardless. It's not worse on a woman.

Quite a few actually, I know a lot of women who are around 4ft 10 (and I did say slight exaggeration) I'm 5ft 2 and I can imagine a 6ft guy would be able to do a lot more damage to me than I to him. If I was a big guy, I wouldn't ever hit a small girl back, maybe a slight shove at most if she takes it too far but that's about it, only because I would know that I'd be able to hurt the girl a lot more than she would be able to hurt me.
Obviously if the woman is heavier than you and you're quite small then it's understandable, I did say that I think it is fair for a guy to hit a female back if he feels that she's causing significant harm to him. I didn't say hitting wasn't wrong, I did say the girl would be an idiot for hitting you but we're talking about whether a guy would hit the girl back not whether hitting is wrong. It's just like how you wouldn't punch a small child just because that small child was kicking you since those kicks probably would be more annoying than harmful therefore you wouldn't react by potentially seriously hurting them just because they are annoying you if that makes sense. When a woman starts attacking you to the point where she is harming you, then yeah do what you need to do to stop the attack but I don't think guys should hit women back just for retaliation when they know they would hurt the woman more than she hurt them.
Reply 44
Not only that, but a man who alerts the police that he's being abused gets looked down upon. As if he's weak for not being able to control his girlfriend/wife.

A man is expected to take the abuse 'like a man'.

This isn't fact, it is a stereotype and a lie. To break it, more men who are victims of domestic violence need to come forward. This may be seen as an unpopular opinion, but you cannot help people who do not help themselves. The media is full of reports about domestic violence and how awful it is no matter who the perpetrator may be. If some men are too proud and/or ashamed to come forward then their situation will continue and they are responsible for allowing it to do so. Just as much as any woman is. By trying to segregate this problem by gender, all we're doing is widening the divide. Domestic violence is the same crime whether a man or woman is the victim. That is the message we need to be portraying, that it is one and the same. Not further supporting that there are two kinds based on the sex of the victim.
Original post by Secretnerd123
Only weak cowards hit women..

I agree- to a certain extent. If a woman chooses to hit a man (knowing full well his strength is greater than her own) she's only got herself to blame. The man is permitted to hit her back using all his force. If you hit another person, prepare to be hit back. Regardless of their sex.
Original post by Rlove95
Quite a few actually, I know a lot of women who are around 4ft 10 (and I did say slight exaggeration) I'm 5ft 2 and I can imagine a 6ft guy would be able to do a lot more damage to me than I to him. If I was a big guy, I wouldn't ever hit a small girl back, maybe a slight shove at most if she takes it too far but that's about it, only because I would know that I'd be able to hurt the girl a lot more than she would be able to hurt me.
Obviously if the woman is heavier than you and you're quite small then it's understandable, I did say that I think it is fair for a guy to hit a female back if he feels that she's causing significant harm to him. I didn't say hitting wasn't wrong, I did say the girl would be an idiot for hitting you but we're talking about whether a guy would hit the girl back not whether hitting is wrong. It's just like how you wouldn't punch a small child just because that small child was kicking you since those kicks probably would be more annoying than harmful therefore you wouldn't react by potentially seriously hurting them just because they are annoying you if that makes sense. When a woman starts attacking you to the point where she is harming you, then yeah do what you need to do to stop the attack but I don't think guys should hit women back just for retaliation when they know they would hurt the woman more than she hurt them.

The child alternative doesn't compare.
A child doesn't have years of life experience to know the consequences of their actions.
An adult woman should know what they're doing, and the potential consequences.

A child, for example, will continue to follow and chase a dog until the dog gets annoyed and tries to bite them. By the time you're an adult you've experienced it enough to know not to do it.

Someone who slaps/punches you isn't giving regard for you at that moment, yet a man is supposed to analyse the situation and actually put the lady first?

Where was her restraint?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Voltozonic
Really ?

I've probably seen 100 women hit a man in my lifetime whether it's a slap or w/e, i've probably seen the vice versa about 5 times.

Im the exact opposite.
Reply 48
The child alternative doesn't compare.
A child doesn't have years of life experience to know the consequences of their actions.
An adult woman should know what they're doing, and the potential consequences.

A child, for example, will continue to follow and chase a dog until the dog gets annoyed and tries to bite them. By the time you're an adult you've experienced it enough to know not to do it.

Someone who slaps/punches you isn't giving regard for you at that moment, yet a man is supposed to analyse the situation and actually put the lady first?

Where was her restraint?

A child usually does know the consequences of their actions. They'll push your limits and see how far they can test you just like some adults do later on. Most children will know they aren't supposed to kick you and that if they keep kicking you, theres a possibility you will kick back, that doesn't mean you should. I'm just saying don't stoop down to her level. If she hits you and you hit her back, what are you achieving, you end up just looking like a douche who fights with girls (even if you aren't). I just think guys should try their best to take the moral high ground. I also don't think women should put them in these situations, I'm in no way saying that it's okay for women to go around hitting guys not expecting anything back, I'm just saying that decent guys in those situations should try turn the other cheek and leave the psycho alone (unless the girl is attacking them, then they should obviously defend themselves). Hitting a girl for defence = understandable,
hitting a girl just because 'she started it' = not so much. It's childish to resort to violence in the first place, and it's childish to retaliate when you could just walk away. It shows a lot more strength and discipline if you can control your anger and walk away - whether you are a woman or a man.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by Rlove95
A child usually does know the consequences of their actions. They'll push your limits and see how far they can test you just like some adults do later on. Most children will know they aren't supposed to kick you and that if they keep kicking you, theres a possibility you will kick back, that doesn't mean you should. I'm just saying don't stoop down to her level. If she hits you and you hit her back, what are you achieving, you end up just looking like a douche who fights with girls (even if you aren't). I just think guys should try their best to take the moral high ground. I also don't think women should put them in these situations, I'm in no way saying that it's okay for women to go around hitting guys not expecting anything back, I'm just saying that decent guys in those situations should try turn the other cheek and leave the psycho alone (unless the girl is attacking them, then they should obviously defend themselves). Hitting a girl for defence = understandable,
hitting a girl just because 'she started it' = not so much. It's childish to resort to violence in the first place, and it's childish to retaliate when you could just walk away. It shows a lot more strength and discipline if you can control your anger and walk away - whether you are a woman or a man.

If you're in a relationship with somebody you shouldn't hit them, regardless of gender.
No response to anything else I wrote? I wonder why...

I still think men shouldn't hit women and that view will never change so that post of yours was little pointless tbf..
Reply 51
Original post by Secretnerd123
I still think men shouldn't hit women and that view will never change so that post of yours was little pointless tbf..

Women also should not hit men. I know you mean well but you are discriminating as though women are always the 'weaker' sex and therefore part of the problem whereby violence against men is seen as less serious.

Violence is violence regardless of who is the perpetrator and who is the victim.
Jesus, it's like talking to a brick wall. Because I was saying men should hit women right ?

I'm assuming you are like 15 ? Hopefully you'll acquire more open-minded views when you grow up.

I'm actually 18 lol :innocent:. I'm open-minded but my experiences have shaped my views when it comes to this issue. I've grown up seeing many of my female relatives and family friends getting abused my their partners and have always thought the males were more accountable.

Obviously, violence is violence though and nobody deserves to get hit.
Reply 53
Original post by Reallen
If you're in a relationship with somebody you shouldn't hit them, regardless of gender.

I'm not saying you should...
If everyone would just stop hitting each other, then it'd be all good. I just said, just because someone hits you doesn't mean you should hit them back especially in cases where you hitting them would hurt them more than them hitting you.

Latest