The Student Room Group

In running, what age does ability go downhill?

I like to push myself and improve my fitness particularly in track events like 200, 400 and middle distance. Also 5k in winter.

Im wondering though, at a very amateur level, if my age will start to hold me back any time soon. Im nearly 29 (still act 18 lol) and although I feel fit Im wondering is my potential declining yet? Obviously if I train harder than I did before I going to be better but what age would you say someone starts to go downhill?
i played intense sports in high school and a bit in college. the sports i played, you will be considered extremely old at the age of 30.

i would say generally speaking in the last 20s, your abilities go downhill no matter how hard you try. at 35, even more, go down significantly. at 45, you simply cant.

players over the age of 25 need to have skills specific to that sports. there are guys who play the sports i played after 35, they cant run as fast as other players 10 years younger than them, but they are still in the game because of specific skills they have acquired over the years.

you are talking about running, so might be slightly different.
Reply 2
Original post by KICHMYARSE
i played intense sports in high school and a bit in college. the sports i played, you will be considered extremely old at the age of 30.

i would say generally speaking in the last 20s, your abilities go downhill no matter how hard you try. at 35, even more, go down significantly. at 45, you simply cant.

players over the age of 25 need to have skills specific to that sports. there are guys who play the sports i played after 35, they cant run as fast as other players 10 years younger than them, but they are still in the game because of specific skills they have acquired over the years.

you are talking about running, so might be slightly different.

what intense sports did you play lol?
Original post by inthedark1
what sports did you play lol?

football. not european.
Reply 4
Original post by KICHMYARSE
football. not european.

oh when you said intense I was imagining all sorts
Most long distance athletes are in their 30's even 40's.

To the above poster who said 'in your 20's your abilities go downhill' What utter rubbish. It depends what sport.

Mo Farah says he's too young to consider pro marathon running, and he's 30.

It's not just running, the top cyclists tend to be late 20's early 30's

Of course in sports like rugby and yank football the players peak in their mid to late 20's usually but even then some of the best are in their 30's

Quick Reply

Latest