The Student Room Group

Are women unfairly labelled in today's society?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the mezzil
The advert went full retard.

In reference to your OP, no women are not labelled. That YouTube clip was completely absurd and nobody is labelled like that anymore.

Oh, I see and yes, i agree. Defo past stereotypes.

Also, "retard" is not PC term :erm:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 21
Strange way to brand themselves and expect the reverse psychology. I seriously hope they sell more men hair care products than they do women's, if not they should make an effort to cater to the demand of the misogynist crowd and discontinue several products for women should they oppose to boycott unless the feminists choose to see this as empowering satire. Its overall temperament was too lethargic for a provocative ad.

The part about man dedicated vs woman selfish was vague as it would depend if either of them were disturbing the baby's sleep by staying up with the nightlight on and the tapping away at their computer. Neither of them would be neglecting their duty should the baby be asleep and wish to be left alone. I would label the male counterpart the same things as the woman was tbh.
(edited 10 years ago)
The ad is pointless and pretty incendiary, but I did chuckle at its feeble attempt to portray the woman looking at herself in the mirror as 'vain' and the man as 'neat'. In reality any dude who gets caught checking himself out too much in the mirror is himself in for some witty 'labelling' from the lads.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Punishmen
Strange way to brand themselves and expect the reverse psychology. I seriously hope they sell more men hair care products than they do women's, if not they should make an effort to cater to the demand of the misogynist crowd and discontinue several products for women should they oppose to boycott unless the feminists choose to see this as empowering satire. Its overall temperament was too lethargic for a provocative ad.

The part about man dedicated vs woman selfish was vague as it would depend if either of them were disturbing the baby's sleep by staying up with the nightlight on and the tapping away at their computer. Neither of them would be neglecting their duty should the baby be asleep and wish to be left alone. I would label the male counterpart the same things as the woman was tbh.

No, sorry: I think its trying to highlight the fact women are being labelled, not showing support for the labels. If you get what I mean. Read the description of the video to understand what I mean :tongue:

Thanks for the rep, it meant a lot to me! :') :h:

Original post by ClickItBack
The ad is pointless and pretty incendiary, but I did chuckle at its feeble attempt to portray the woman looking at herself in the mirror as 'vain' and the man as 'neat'. In reality any dude who gets caught checking himself out too much in the mirror is himself in for some witty 'labelling' from the lads.

Ok, I understand that one was a bit 'iffy'
(edited 10 years ago)
I don't understand all this modern feminism talk?? Feminism is just another version of seeking equality?
Original post by geoking
Absolute feminist bull****. Men don't care. Really, we don't. It's women who give women labels. That's the irony with feminism.

So true. I hear more women calling other women sluts/whores ect than I do men.
Reply 26
I believe no one has had it as tough in the history of mankind as the modern western woman, its just so impossible for them... And yes my tongue is firmly in my cheek.
Reply 27
Original post by Viva Emptiness
I think adverts like that just exacerbate and give life to the minority of people who may hold such opinions/views. Women aren't nearly as victimised in real life, and if people think they are bossy bosses, or pushy, then they probably just ARE.

This is a great point.
Original post by Punishmen
Yay, good to hear. :jumphug: :rave:

Ah I don't know! I find it contradictory that you would label one person more obscenely than the other and later advise them (mainly the woman here) don't let labels hold you back: be strong and shine. So inevitably, both man and woman are expected to be boxed in to this unreasonable stereotype? It does look bleak, and almost mocking at how futile their efforts have made them out to be, destined to their fate and their hair was nothing out of the ordinary either.

:love:

I dunno either, it's basically saying women ARE being labelled more negatively and showing how they are being labelled through the video.

Not sure if you've read this yet:

Does gender bias still exist? If the answer is no, then why is it that women who take charge tend to be called bossy, whereas men who do the same is just doing his job as a boss? Or why is it that when mothers are passionate about their career, they tend to be seen as selfish, while working dads are dedicated? It is also quite startling that a recent study said 70% of men feel that women need to downplay their personality in order to be accepted.

According to the 2013 Global Gender Gap Report, the Philippines ranks number 5 in gender equality. But a survey by the social news network, Rappler, revealed that gender bias is still very much prevalent. One thought-provoking statistic showed that 77% of males and 66% of females believe that men deserve employment more than women -- clearly reinforcing that bias exists in the workplace. Research findings show that both genders have prejudices and are prejudiced against.

Pantene, a brand that stands for empowering women to shine boldly, highlighted the issue of double standards and the culture of inequality that people have come to accept as the norm. Although initially approached from a local standpoint, the campaign resonated to the global market, recognizing an idea that was inspired by a hard-hitting reality that every woman faces.

Thus, #WhipIt was created. Urging women to leave labels behind, and be strong and shine.

Learn more about the movement and join the conversation here: http://www.rappler.com/brandrap/whipit

To be honest, im not sure about the others, but the point about the woman being called selfish because she wasn't looking after the baby and was working definitely rings true. I do not know how many times Ive heard people call women that wanted to get back to work as soon as possible after giving birth, selfish and ALL of these people are men.

Original post by Starrydog
I don't understand all this modern feminism talk?? Feminism is just another version of seeking equality?

Yep, basically the idea is women have more oppression, so we are striving to make things equal. But, to be honest, after recent events of TSR, I think women and men have had different oppression, so we really need to tackle both sides.

Original post by victoriajackson
So true. I hear more women calling other women sluts/whores ect than I do men.

Yes, I agree! BUT, some points to think about maybe?:

a) women only started calling other women sluts and whores because men ultimately started it

b) from an evolutionary aspect, a woman calling a women a slut/whore is simply trying to kick her out of the competition for the male, as the male will choose the one that is not a slut/whore

c) to be honest, what importance does that have? just because women are calling women sluts and whores, its STILL wrong. Kinda like saying: "Gay rape? A man raping another man. Lets not tackle this issues." (obviously far more serious than name calling though)

Original post by Huskaris
I believe no one has had it as tough in the history of mankind as the modern western woman, its just so impossible for them... And yes my tongue is firmly in my cheek.

Oh, how funny!

Where's your evidence to suggest they've led such easy lives?

Why have Pantene, a global company supported a movement against labels if it doesn't exist?

But, I do agree, labels is a fairly trivial thing and there are far more concerning things happening in the East.
(edited 10 years ago)
Women say a lot of bs to other women sometimes. Like calling each other sluts and whores when a girl either dresses a certain way or has realtions with someone. But omg, why shouldn't people have governance over their own body? Why should we say bs like this that acts to limit people and make them feel guilty for being themselves.
Of course its not just women who say this but growing I heard this a lotttttt. Or calling other women fat etc or saying they're not pretty enough.
And finding a new fad e.g. thigh gaps tl obsess over.
Reply 30
Original post by nivvy21
:love:

I dunno either, it's basically saying women ARE being labelled more negatively and showing how they are being labelled through the video.

Not sure if you've read this yet:

To be honest, im not sure about the others, but the point about the woman being called selfish because she wasn't looking after the baby and was working definitely rings true. I do not know how many times Ive heard people call women that wanted to get back to work as soon as possible after giving birth, selfish and ALL of these people are men.

Yep, basically the idea is women have more oppression, so we are striving to make things equal. But, to be honest, after recent events of TSR, I think women and men have had different oppression, so we really need to tackle both sides.

a) women only started calling other women sluts and whores because men ultimately started it

b) from an evolutionary aspect, a woman calling a women a slut/whore is simply trying to kick her out of the competition for the male, as the male will choose the one that is not a slut/whore

c) to be honest, what importance does that have? just because women are calling women sluts and whores, its STILL wrong. Kinda like saying: "Gay rape? A man raping another man. Lets not tackle this issues." (obviously far more serious than name calling though)

Oh, how funny!

Where's your evidence to suggest they've led such easy lives?

Why have Pantene, a global company supported a movement against labels if it doesn't exist?

But, I do agree, labels is a fairly trivial thing and there are far more concerning things happening in the East.

Because they know that if they back a load of womens nonsense that more women will buy their product.

I forgot how easy life is being a man.
Reply 31
Even if many people did see me badly for being such a way, I couldn't give a semblance of a s*** because in about 80 years we will all be dead so I'm clearly going to live out my tiny existence exactly as I please and I'm considerate of others who wish to do so too. The fact that this advert reinforces how we should be aware of/concerned about how others see us is insulting and actually quite boring so it puts me off Pantene even more than I already was. I know they're trying to give a message that you should ignore others' views of you but it comes across in the wrong way. It's not just women prone to this. Their products smell funny, too.
(edited 10 years ago)
Because they know that if they back a load of womens nonsense that more women will buy their product.

I forgot how easy life is being a man.

On the contrary, for two reasons

first reason: see the below quote, ie people may mistake the point of the ad or it may make them dislike Pantene even more!
second reason: some extreme feminists may be like, women use these beauty products (Pantene), we are no longer conforming to society's label if we boycott it.

You also seem to conveniently forgot to reply to the rest of my post.

Original post by Per
Even if many people did see me badly for being such a way, I couldn't give a semblance of a s*** because in about 80 years we will all be dead so I'm clearly going to live out my tiny existence exactly as I please and I'm considerate of others who wish to do so too. The fact that this advert reinforces how we should be aware of/concerned about how others see us is insulting and actually quite boring so it puts me off Pantene even more than I already was. I know they're trying to give a message that you should ignore others' views of you but it comes across in the wrong way. It's not just women prone to this. Their products smell funny, too.

Aah, admirable position!

I can understand how the ad may be taken the wrong way and I love the smell of Pantene!
Reply 33
Original post by nivvy21
On the contrary, for two reasons

first reason: see the below quote, ie people may mistake the point of the ad or it may make them dislike Pantene even more!
second reason: some extreme feminists may be like, women use these beauty products (Pantene), we are no longer conforming to society's label if we boycott it.

You also seem to conveniently forgot to reply to the rest of my post.

Aah, admirable position!

I can understand how the ad may be taken the wrong way and I love the smell of Pantene!

I just think you're making a completely invalid point to be honest. Get the chip off your shoulder and just live your life, men and women side by side like the vast majority of people do.
I just think you're making a completely invalid point to be honest. Get the chip off your shoulder and just live your life, men and women side by side like the vast majority of people do.

I don't have a "chip" on my shoulder and I also don't have a problem with men and women living side by side :confused:
Original post by nivvy21

Did they? I think women have always been more judgemental about other women than men have.
Yes but who is a guy more likely to pursue if he just wants to get laid? The girl he knows will put out or the girl he'll have to date for how ever many months first?
I think the importance is the suggestion from that video (well the impression I got) was that it is men giving women these labels and in fact I think it's more likely to be women giving other women these labels.
Reply 36
One spoon of oil destroys the whole barrel of honey. The true meaning behind these words, as in my country we use, is that some women do behave bossy or pushy and in that way label all women as the same. I disagree with this commercial because men can equally be bossy or pushy!
Original post by victoriajackson
Did they? I think women have always been more judgemental about other women than men have.
Yes but who is a guy more likely to pursue if he just wants to get laid? The girl he knows will put out or the girl he'll have to date for how ever many months first?
I think the importance is the suggestion from that video (well the impression I got) was that it is men giving women these labels and in fact I think it's more likely to be women giving other women these labels.

Maybe so.

Yeah, but who's he ultimately going to get married to? Also, would you rather be a ONS or a wife?

I don't think the vid gave that impression at all.
No, imho we live in a ongoing equality-conscious state, male/female equality in particular.
Original post by nivvy21
Ok, I understand that one was a bit 'iffy'

They're all iffy. The problem is that women will watch this and think 'wow that's actually true, I got called pushy once! Women always get called vain/bossy etc!'. And they internalise that this must be due to gender, rather than because well, y'know, they actually fit these adjectives?

This is why I think the ad is incendiary. Lots of somewhat aggrieved and unconfident young ladies will watch it and it'll substantiate in their minds that there exists some mass conspiracy in society against women, and probably hypersensitise them to future criticism.

Quick Reply

Latest