The Student Room Group

my friend stopped talking to me to become a strict muslim

i am atheist and a girl, my male friend (i would say we are like best friends because we talk for hours everyday) told me randomly 5 minutes ago he is never speaking to me again because he is becoming a strict muslim. he does drugs, swear so much and like girls a lot, he also has a girlfriend but he said he is breaking up with her rn. i understand if thats what he wants to do but im struggling with how to cope with it because ill miss talking, even though he is kinda horrible a lot…

Scroll to see replies

Speaking to girls for fun is discouraged in Islam if the male has no intention of marriage. If he likes you, the proper way is for him to approach your father and ask for his consent for you both to talk - this is only in the real intention of marriage.

This is because when (us) males do speak randomly to girls it has consequences down the line as it may lead to pre marital sex - babies - abortion and all of that craziness!
Original post by alevelstudentx8
Speaking to girls for fun is discouraged in Islam if the male has no intention of marriage. If he likes you, the proper way is for him to approach your father and ask for his consent for you both to talk - this is only in the real intention of marriage.

This is because when (us) males do speak randomly to girls it has consequences down the line as it may lead to pre marital sex - babies - abortion and all of that craziness!

i am not interested in men 😭😭😭 he could have handled it nicer he just said he was blocking me and he didnt care
Sounds like you and his gf have dodged a bullet. :smile:
Lucky you.
There are plenty of more reasonably behaved guys in the world who have never been involved with illegal drugs, plenty of whom are looking for female friends.

Calmly end all contact with him and positively move forward with your life.
If he ever contacts you again in the future trying to insult you or preach religion- don't respond.
Good luck!
Original post by londonmyst
Sounds like you and his gf have dodged a bullet. :smile:
Lucky you.
There are plenty of more reasonably behaved guys in the world who have never been involved with illegal drugs, plenty of whom are looking for female friends.

Calmly end all contact with him and positively move forward with your life.
If he ever contacts you again in the future trying to insult you or preach religion- don't respond.
Good luck!

thank you i have decided to never reach out to a boy again tbh its too difficult
Islam has made men feel like there's no point in engaging with a woman if he has no intention of dating which really shows how insignificant they feel women are when all they're good for is attraction.
Original post by Riotriot
Islam has made men feel like there's no point in engaging with a woman if he has no intention of dating which really shows how insignificant they feel women are when all they're good for is attraction.

tbh i am trying to ignore it but im kind of heartbroken we were best friends and talked so much
Original post by Riotriot

Well thats dumb. If it is necessary, a Muslim male will talk to a female.
It goes the same way for females, why didn't you write:

Islam has made women feel like there's no point in engaging with a man if she has no intention of dating which really shows how insignificant they feel men are when all they're good for is attraction.

Interesting how you attack the man first.
I wouldn't blame religion here, he's probably under some new pressure or just a very strange / vulnerable individual.

As for advice, maybe dm him asking what the blank and if that fails cut him, become closer with others - friends or family.
It sounds harsh but honestly why not, if he's lost respect for you then why waste your time?
As a Muslim (female), the way your friend broke off the friendship is unfortunate and could've been handled a lot better and with more tact and you are valid in feeling hurt and confused. However, in Islam, interacting with the opposite sex is disliked, if not forbidden due to attraction that could arise as a result of it. My best advice is to move on from him and not reach out again because he has set a clear boundary and breaking it would only be harmful to both of you. Becoming a strict Muslim isn't a decision to be made lightly, so I don't think it would've been "random", but if he has a history of being horrible, maybe you did dodge a bullet.

Wishing you well.
Original post by Anonymous
i am atheist and a girl, my male friend (i would say we are like best friends because we talk for hours everyday) told me randomly 5 minutes ago he is never speaking to me again because he is becoming a strict muslim. he does drugs, swear so much and like girls a lot, he also has a girlfriend but he said he is breaking up with her rn. i understand if thats what he wants to do but im struggling with how to cope with it because ill miss talking, even though he is kinda horrible a lot…
Don't take it personally.
Believe me, he wanted to keep talking to you. but he chose not to because he chose to obey his God over his desires.
I'd advise you to look into Islam too, sister. It's a beautiful religion and you will be able to understand your creator.
Happy reading :smile:
Believe me, he wanted to keep talking to you. but he chose not to because he chose to obey his God over his desires.
I'd advise you to look into Islam too, sister. It's a beautiful religion and you will be able to understand your creator.

Don’t be ridiculous. It is a religion that undermines women’s rights.
Doesn't sound much like a friend tbh and even you're admitting he's horrible a lot of the time. So maybe it's for the best that his toxic character is out of your video game.

Caged
Original post by Dschingis_1

Wow, real mature. Do you know anything about Islam? Read about any scripture, and real scripture, not faked and out of context ones. Being aware of the Iranian protests doesn't count. The "Islamic Regime" is NOT Islamic. The Taliban and Iranian government are morally corrupt and I don't even view them as Muslim. Real Muslims don't hurt others. There's a trusted narration saying "If a Muslim kills another soul, it is as if they have killed all of mankind." Murder is a horrible sin. Notice how it doesn't even consider whether the victim is Muslim or not. I hope you read this and actually rethink your worldview. Discriminating and being prejudiced against anyone due to religion is illegal and won't get you anywhere in life. Maybe practice some tolerance and critical thinking in future :smile:
Wow, real mature. Do you know anything about Islam? Read about any scripture, and real scripture, not faked and out of context ones. Being aware of the Iranian protests doesn't count. The "Islamic Regime" is NOT Islamic. The Taliban and Iranian government are morally corrupt and I don't even view them as Muslim. Real Muslims don't hurt others. There's a trusted narration saying "If a Muslim kills another soul, it is as if they have killed all of mankind." Murder is a horrible sin. Notice how it doesn't even consider whether the victim is Muslim or not. I hope you read this and actually rethink your worldview. Discriminating and being prejudiced against anyone due to religion is illegal and won't get you anywhere in life. Maybe practice some tolerance and critical thinking in future :smile:

You can accuse me of all sorts, all I did was express my opinion. There is not a single Islamic country with a good human rights record, and I’m not talking about the Taliban or Iran. Women are oppressed in every single Islamic country around the world. One of the posters here even mentioned that a man must ask the women’s father for consent instead of her. There’s nothing sacred about that, it is simply oppression. And I say that as a religious person myself.
You can accuse me of all sorts, all I did was express my opinion. There is not a single Islamic country with a good human rights record, and I’m not talking about the Taliban or Iran. Women are oppressed in every single Islamic country around the world. One of the posters here even mentioned that a man must ask the women’s father for consent instead of her. There’s nothing sacred about that, it is simply oppression. And I say that as a religious person myself.

Ah, I see. Islamic countries that oppress women (and people, if we are talking human rights in general) are do not embody Islam. Islam is a religion of peace. The name Islam comes from the Arabic word "salam" meaning peace. Also, sing one poster to justify something doesn't suffice. In that example, the consent being taken from the father is to prevent things like elopement and even kidnapping, however the the woman must also be asked. Getting parental consent without the bride's consent results in the marriage being null and void. I highly recommend taking a read of this article https://islam.ru/en/content/story/does-islam-give-father-right-force-his-daughter-marry which has many references that can give you a better idea of the concept of marriage in Islam.

(Also, sorry for sounding overly sarcastic in my previous message. I was awake for over 24 hours and had a 7 and 1/2 hour flight. I hope this reply is better.)
Ah, I see. Islamic countries that oppress women (and people, if we are talking human rights in general) are do not embody Islam. Islam is a religion of peace. The name Islam comes from the Arabic word "salam" meaning peace. Also, sing one poster to justify something doesn't suffice. In that example, the consent being taken from the father is to prevent things like elopement and even kidnapping, however the the woman must also be asked. Getting parental consent without the bride's consent results in the marriage being null and void. I highly recommend taking a read of this article https://islam.ru/en/content/story/does-islam-give-father-right-force-his-daughter-marry which has many references that can give you a better idea of the concept of marriage in Islam.

(Also, sorry for sounding overly sarcastic in my previous message. I was awake for over 24 hours and had a 7 and 1/2 hour flight. I hope this reply is better.)

That’s all very well saying that Islam is all about peace, yet the reality in islamic societies around the world is totally different. That is simply my opinion.

if you dont mind me asking, how exactly does the religion "undermine women's rights"
if you dont mind me asking, how exactly does the religion "undermine women's rights"

There are passages in the Quran and in Sharia Law that state that wives are the property of their husbands, that men exercise dominion over women, and what a women’s place in society should be. Obviously that also exists in the Old Testament in the Bible and the Torah, as it reflects the society of the time. However many influential Imams, Islamic scholars, Islamist politicians and public figures still preach these values today, and have a massive following and influence in their respective countries. It is admittedly improving for women in some countries that have Islam as the state religion, but they still have the worst women’s rights record of any countries.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending