The Student Room Group

Describing vectors

Hi guys

I haven't done maths in six years and have had to miss a week of lectures since I've been sick which doesn't help so I was wondering if someone could help me out with these questions?

Describe all vectors in R^4 orthogonal to both u= (1,0,1,0) and v=(1,1,0,0)

There are two more questions below regarding vectors and matrices and I've put them in image form. sedrwde.PNG dde.PNG

Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Never mind the first question. I got it :smile:
Describing all vectors in R4\mathbb{R}^4 satisfying those conditions probably means 'give the form of the vectors', which is to use variables for the entries, giving the information needed.

What does it mean for vectors to be orthogonal? It would be helpful to note the vectors both have 1 as their first component and 0 as their last.

Original post by IndianDancer
Never mind the first question. I got it :smile:

Oh! what did you get?
Reply 3
Original post by FireGarden
Describing all vectors in R4\mathbb{R}^4 satisfying those conditions probably means 'give the form of the vectors', which is to use variables for the entries, giving the information needed.

What does it mean for vectors to be orthogonal? It would be helpful to note the vectors both have 1 as their first component and 0 as their last.

Oh! what did you get?

Hi

This is what I got
jj.PNG

Do u know the answers to the other questions by any chance?
I think there's a typo in that. Did you mean x(2)=x(3), and x(1) is their negative? 'Cause that's right.. but you've written x(1)=x(3).

I know how to answer them.. but unfortunately I'm not sure how to help without simply giving it away!
Reply 5
Original post by FireGarden
I think there's a typo in that. Did you mean x(2)=x(3), and x(1) is their negative? 'Cause that's right.. but you've written x(1)=x(3).

I know how to answer them.. but unfortunately I'm not sure how to help without simply giving it away!

Yes that is what I meant :smile: Thanks so much for your help

Oh ok. Would you be able to give me a hint? I have absolutely no idea how to start :frown:
Original post by IndianDancer
Hi guys

I haven't done maths in six years and have had to miss a week of lectures since I've been sick which doesn't help so I was wondering if someone could help me out with these questions?

Describe all vectors in R^4 orthogonal to both u= (1,0,1,0) and v=(1,1,0,0)

There are two more questions below regarding vectors and matrices and I've put them in image form. sedrwde.PNG dde.PNG

Thanks

For first one
(a) equation of a line is r = a + t(b-a)
(b) equation of plane is r.n=p where r=CD X CE
(c) Solve simultaneously

Quick Reply

Latest