The Student Room Group

Mechanics Question Help

Hi guys, when a particle is moving north-east for example, do you set the i and j components of the displacement vector to be equal or the i and j components of the velocity vector to be equal. In the book, it says displacement but in a youtube video, it was the velocity vector so I'm slightly confused. Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Nithu05
Hi guys, when a particle is moving north-east for example, do you set the i and j components of the displacement vector to be equal or the i and j components of the velocity vector to be equal. In the book, it says displacement but in a youtube video, it was the velocity vector so I'm slightly confused. Thanks!

Moving in a north easterly direction would mean the velocity vector had equal i and j components. The position of the object could be anywhere, but the local direction of movement/velocity vector/tangent to the displacement curve would be ki+kj. Similarly you could say the object was located at a point north east of the origin. Then it would be the displacement vector.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
Moving in a north easterly direction would mean the velocity vector had equal i and j components. The position of the object could be anywhere, but the local movement (tangent to the position curve) would be ki+kj. Similarly you could say the object was located at a point north east of the origin. Then it would be the displacement vector.

Ok I see. So if it's 'moving' in a particular direction, it would be the velocity vector. However, if a question said, for example, the time at which the particle is directly north east of O, it would be the displacement vector? (got this from the book).
Reply 3
Original post by Nithu05
Ok I see. So if it's 'moving' in a particular direction, it would be the velocity vector. However, if a question said, for example, the time at which the particle is directly north east of O, it would be the displacement vector? (got this from the book).

Sounds good. If it says the particle is directly north east, then thats obviously a displacement. It could be moving in any direction at that point, including south west where it would be heading back to O.

Quick Reply

Latest