The Student Room Group

maths mechanics

A particle P is moving with constant velocity. The position vector of P at time t seconds (t 0) is r metres, relative to a fixed origin O, and is given by
r = (2t 3)i + (4 5t)j

(a) Find the initial position vector of P. =-3i+4j

The particle P passes through the point with position vector (3.4i 12j)m at time T seconds.

(b) Find the value of T. =3.2 seconds
(c) Find the speed of P.

im not sure how to work out c
any help?
answer=v =2i + 5j
Reply 1
Speed is the modulus/magnitude of the velocity vector. Do you know how to find it?
Reply 2
You need to use the information above from parts (a) and (b).

Then you know velocity = displacement / time
v = s/t
Then you can use the 2 points given:
so when t = 0, r = -3i + 4j
when t = 3.2, r = 3.4i -12j
Then fine the difference between these points and use those in the formula v=s/t
So v= ((3.4 - - 3)i + (-12-4)j) / 3.2
So v = (6.4)i + (-16)j / 3.2
= 2i -5j

Are u sure It’s not -5j? I might have a sign error somewhere but that’s the gist of it.

Hope that helps
Reply 3
Original post by user493
A particle P is moving with constant velocity. The position vector of P at time t seconds (t 0) is r metres, relative to a fixed origin O, and is given by
r = (2t 3)i + (4 5t)j

(a) Find the initial position vector of P. =-3i+4j

The particle P passes through the point with position vector (3.4i 12j)m at time T seconds.

(b) Find the value of T. =3.2 seconds
(c) Find the speed of P.

im not sure how to work out c
any help?
answer=v =2i + 5j

A few things not right there...2i + 5j is a vector, so it would have to be velocity, not speed as asked for in the question. Also if your formula for r is correct then the velocity would have to be 2i - 5j as the previous poster said :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by davros
A few things not right there...2i + 5j is a vector, so it would have to be velocity, not speed as asked for in the question. Also if your formula for r is correct then the velocity would have to be 2i - 5j as the previous poster said :smile:

Oh I didn’t see it asked for “speed” - speed would be the magnitude right? So sqaure root of (2^2 + 5^2)? = root 29 = around 5.39 ms^-1 (3s.f.)
Reply 5
Original post by xmadmikli
Oh I didn’t see it asked for “speed” -

Please read the Maths forum rules - we don't do questions for people we just give hints.

The OP should also have posted what they tried.
Reply 6
The position vector r of the particle P can be thought of as a vector in a 2-dimensional real vector space, and the function r(t) that describes the motion of the particle as a linear transformation from the real line (which we can consider as a 1-dimensional real vector space) to this 2-dimensional space.

(a) The initial position vector of P is found by applying the linear transformation r at time t = 0. By plugging t = 0 into the function, we obtain ****, which is indeed the initial position vector of P.

(b) Next, we want to find the time T at which the particle P passes through the point with position vector (*****j). This is equivalent to solving the equation r(T) = *****for T. By setting the components equal, we can derive two equations:******. Solving this system of linear equations, we find T = ******

(c) Lastly, we aim to find the speed of the particle P. In the language of differential geometry, the velocity vector of the particle is given by the derivative of the position vector with respect to time, v = dr/dt. The magnitude of the velocity vector is then the speed of the particle, which can be calculated by the Pythagorean theorem as *******
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by kek6969
The position vector r of the particle P can be thought of as a vector in a 2-dimensional real vector space, and the function r(t) that describes the motion of the particle as a linear transformation from the real line (which we can consider as a 1-dimensional real vector space) to this 2-dimensional space.

Please remove the details from your post and note the posting guidelines here - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4919248

We do not post solutions for people in the Maths forum. Thanks :smile:
Reply 8
thnx
Original post by kek6969

(a) The initial position vector of P is found by applying the linear transformation r at time t = 0. By plugging t = 0 into the function, we obtain r(0) = -3i + 4j, which is indeed the initial position vector of P.

(b) Next, we want to find the time T at which the particle P passes through the point with position vector (3.4i - 12j). This is equivalent to solving the equation r(T) = 3.4i - 12j for T. By setting the components equal, we can derive two equations: 2T - 3 = 3.4 and 4 - 5T = -12. Solving this system of linear equations, we find T = 3.2 seconds.

(c) Lastly, we aim to find the speed of the particle P. In the language of differential geometry, the velocity vector of the particle is given by the derivative of the position vector with respect to time, v = dr/dt. The magnitude of the velocity vector is then the speed of the particle, which can be calculated by the Pythagorean theorem as sqrt[(2)^2 + (-5)^2] = sqrt[29] m/s.
Reply 9
Original post by davros
Please remove the details from your post and note the posting guidelines here - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4919248

We do not post solutions for people in the Maths forum. Thanks :smile:

apologies now censored.
Reply 10
Original post by kek6969
apologies now censored.

Thanks. Note that derivatives are a bit overkill for part (c) - we're told that velocity is constant, and the expression given for r just depends linearly on t so it's easy to work out velocity v without calculus :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest