The Student Room Group

The education system: what would you do to change it?

Children would start school at the age of 7 (finland does this). I would scrap all homework and advise revision. I'd make students at the ages of 10 and over take mini weekly tests on what they had learnt that week. No child would truly fail the test, teachers would work with and help them improve their ability.

Exams would be introduced to sixteen year olds. I can't think of much more. What would you change? What do you think of this 45 week ****?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Children to be removed from their parents at age of 4 (until 18) and sent to boarding schools around the country. They would sit daily tests in the major subject areas (Science, Math and English) and they'd be awarded three grades a day. These grades are converted into points.
A=5
B=3
C=1
D= 0

The points are accumulated starting on a Monday and expire on a Sunday. They are exchanged for basic necessities.
Hot breakfast/dinner = 3 points.
Bed for a night = 3 points.
Lunch = 2 points.
Loo visit = 1 point per visit outside of class. 5 for a weekly pass.
15 minute break* = 1 point
Medical Attention = 6 points
Urgent Medical Attention = 0 points, but will cost 1 point per day thereafter for next 30 days.
Phone call = 1 point per 5 minutes.
*up to a max of one hour per day. Can play chess, read classic literature or watch the news.

Penalties-
Not observing mandatory prep work in library between 7pm to 9pm = -3 points.
Lights not out by 9.30pm = -3 points.
Late to lesson = -3 points.
Homework not done well = -1 or -2 points.
Homework not done at all = -3 points.
Not observing Saturday morning prep work = -5 points.
Crying = -1 point per minute of crying
Complaining = -5 points
Caught with alcohol or cigarettes = -10 points
Talking to member of opposite sex = -15 points
Reply 2
Original post by Hippysnake
Children to be removed from their parents at age of 4 (until 18) and sent to boarding schools around the country. They would sit daily tests in the major subject areas (Science, Math and English) and they'd be awarded three grades a day. These grades are converted into points.
A=5
B=3
C=1
D= 0

The points are accumulated starting on a Monday and expire on a Sunday. They are exchanged for basic necessities.
Lunch = 2 points.
Urgent Medical Attention = 0 points, but will cost 1 point per day thereafter for next 30 days.
*up to a max of one hour per day. Can play chess, read classic literature or watch the news.

Penalties-
Complaining = -5 points

Omg lmao

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
In a very genuine sense, I would put more emphasis on PE as a means of developing teamwork as well as improving fitness; but I'd diversify it - it's not all about football for boys and netball for girls, which is mostly what the secondary schools in my area 'taught'. Other subjects I'd develop would be computing (whilst retaining IT as a separate and distinct subject) and look at making some of what used to be called 'citizenship' subjects in their own right - law, politics, sociology etc can be just as interesting to children as A-Level students, parts of them were to be even without teaching in schools.

I'd start listening to teachers about their experiences and work with them, pupils, universities, and employers to develop policy changes to the curriculum and qualifications. I don't want to go on an anti-Gove rant, but he has more than once put out consultations then ignored the responses in favour of his ideological agenda. That's not the way to do it.

I would try and ease some of the workload on teachers. This might mean having more teachers to cover roughly the same number of classes so that there is more time to mark, write focused feedback, and reduce the out-of-hours workload involved in teaching, or it might mean bringing in teaching support to aid with some of the tasks whilst not taking control, understanding of pupils' performance, and authority away from the teachers themselves.

To encourage improvement in teaching, as opposed to simply standards-meeting as ensured by Ofsted inspections, I'd want to set up a network for best practice, where those who innovate in teaching can share what's worked, what hasn't, and how pupil support can be developed positively rather than simply not-negatively.

I don't think we actually have as bad an education system as is often made out, but what does do damage and prevents progress is the continuous tinkering that goes on with it. There's not enough time for policy ideas to be evaluated medium-term before another initiative is brought it which throws it off kilter. GCSE reforms are a prime example of this, with announcements of reforms in 2010, 2011, 2013, and a timeline of various changes taking place between 2013-16, and even then it's a lot of changes which individually are then made incredibly difficult to measure the impact of.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
A=5
B=3
C=1
D= 0

Lunch = 2 points.

Penalties-
Complaining = -5 points

That could work.
Reply 5
Why such a big penalty for talking to the opposite sex?
Reply 6
Original post by us3481jd
Why such a big penalty for talking to the opposite sex?

Adam and Steve not Adam and Eve.
A=5
B=3
C=1
D= 0

Lunch = 2 points.

Penalties-
Complaining = -5 points

you should become the physics teacher:wink:
Reply 8
I'd try to encourage a better culture of learning.

Kids that misbehave should not be given more attention and focus than kids that actually want to do their work and achieve something. Schools often have a problem of not being able to 'get rid of' difficult pupils - I think there should be more facilities within schools to ensure that it is possible to remove someone from a class is they are disrupting it and holding others back.

Greater extracurricular opportunities would also be worthwhile. In universities especially, it is striking that it is usually privately educated or international students that are most prolific in a number of societies because they are used to that kind of thing and their experience makes them more confident. If it were 'normal' for everyone to participate in team sports or similar group activities, I think a lot of skills would be improved.

I would also ensure better careers advice so every student is directed on the path which suits them best. Those that want to go into jobs should be helped to get the correct training or experience and those that want to go to university should get the same. We need to scrap the current approach for something more holistic. In this economy, real skills are essential and there are a lot of opportunities which people are just not aware of.

Above all, we need more money to be put into education so that everyone reaches the age of 16 with a good grounding in literacy, numeracy and personal abilities which will allow them to thrive.
we need a cultural shift to education, so i'd bribe the media into pushing intellectual agenda and making smart people the new cool.
Was going to say that 'scrapping homework and advising revision' would not be a good idea until I went on to the part about weekly tests, which could potentially work since students wouldn't want to fail the tests and might actually end up revising for them. As much as I am not a fan of homework, I'm unsure about getting rid of it altogether though. It can be useful sometimes, but that is entirely dependent on what homework is set.
Reply 11
A=5
B=3
C=1
D= 0

Lunch = 2 points.

Penalties-
Complaining = -5 points

Your worse than Michael gove !!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I would make wholesale changes to education system as it is currently not fit for purpose..

1) A levels

- I would cap the number of resits at 1 and cap that grade at a C
- I would scrap the D and E grade boundaries such that receiving less than 50% resulted in failure
- It would be mandatory to take either a language or Maths/Science in addition to your other choices

2) GCSE

- I would make the English Bac compulsory
- I would replace D/E/F/G grades with a simple pass set at 49% or less
- I would cap the number of resits at 1 and cap the grade at a C

3) Grammar Schools

- I would allow free schools to apply for a grammar school license such that 20% of the student cohort would attend grammar schools
- 10% of the grammar school cohort must be entitled to free school meals
- In addition to selection tests at age 11, an additional test would be available at age 13 for those students who achieved above 50% at age 11. These children would replace the children in grammar schools who scored in the lowest 10% at age 13.

4) Education voucher system

- The government will take the average cost of education provision from age 11 and each year provide parents with a voucher redeemable of that amount allowing parents to have their children educated in private schools subject to passing the entrance exams.

5) Primary and Nursery Education

- I would launch a broad review aimed at suggesting improvements to nursery and primary education
Original post by Rakas21
I would make wholesale changes to education system as it is currently not fit for purpose..

1) A levels

- I would scrap the D and E grade boundaries such that receiving less than 50% resulted in failure
- It would be mandatory to take either a language or Maths/Science in addition to your other choices

2) GCSE

3) Grammar Schools

- I would allow free schools to apply for a grammar school license such that 20% of the student cohort would attend grammar schools
- In addition to selection tests at age 11, an additional test would be available at age 13 for those students who achieved above 50% at age 11. These children would replace the children in grammar schools who scored in the lowest 10% at age 13.

- The government will take the average cost of education provision from age 11 and each year provide parents with a voucher redeemable of that amount allowing parents to have their children educated in private schools subject to passing the entrance exams.

- I would launch a broad review aimed at suggesting improvements to nursery and primary education

No, this is terrible. This focus on only traditional subjects and culture of top grades being the only important thing fails the majority of the populace who cannot reach such levels. We need a system which caters for everyone. That's why removing resits (which do nothing but fail students, as students are not perfect beings unable to make mistakes. One mistake should not penalise there entire academic career) and creating a greater focus on grammar schools will just result in a disillusioned 80-90% of students, furthering the anti-education culture we have today.
Original post by Rakas21

1) A levels

2) GCSE

3) Grammar Schools

Do you know how hard a language is at a level? I do Spanish currently at A2 and if you get lower than B you'll find it very difficult
Original post by SharminaSyeda
Do you know how hard a language is at a level? I do Spanish currently at A2 and if you get lower than B you'll find it very difficult

He's probably suggesting that because of how few Brits are bilingual compared to other countries.
I could list things about the curriculum as others have done, but instead will add some different thoughts.

School holidays being staggered as happens in Germany- you could vary by county for example.
Have some schools start and finish later, especially secondary schools.
Somehow find a way to prevent the dishonest thing of parents who suddenly 'find' their faith that they have in no way shown any visible sign of, when their children are just pre-school, and then stop once children are a certain age.
Original post by desdemonata
He's probably suggesting that because of how few Brits are bilingual compared to other countries.

I get why though, learning a language is so difficult especially if you don't live in that country as you're not surrounded by their speech
I get why though, learning a language is so difficult especially if you don't live in that country as you're not surrounded by their speech

I know, I'm studying 2 at university, and have learned 2 through total immersion.

Languages is like anything else though. Some people find it easier than others and some find it more interesting and are more motivated to learn it. Language in particular is just make sure you regularly self-study.

I'd say Languages are one of the hardest a levels but they're easy tbh!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending