The Student Room Group

GCSE english speech?

I have to do a speech for GCSE english language to my class (im in year 10), and I’m not sure what to do it on. My teacher is super unhelpful and just told us to do a ‘serious topic’ and people in my class are doing feminism, religion vs medicine, inflation, student debt etc. It’s probably bad but I don’t really know anything about any of these sort of topics, and I’m not necessarily ‘passionate’ about any causes or world issues (?). What should i do?
My GCSE is about two years ago but I did my speech in yr9. My topic is on insomnia and I got a merit for it. I don’t think it has to be a serious topic but it may change after two years
my classmates did a speech on boxing, dyslexia etc which made them a distinction too. My teacher mentioned it can be anything but better to be personal as you can talk more in confidence. In your case, if you really did struggle on those topics, you can think of few ideas and ask your teacher if that’s appropriate?
Reply 2
some people in my class did the finland education system u could do that
Reply 3
Original post by imcr1122
some people in my class did the finland education system u could do that

This is so off topic but what seems to be the discussion around Finland’s education system? My interest is piqued. (Not a GCSE student btw)
Reply 4
Original post by B_____
I have to do a speech for GCSE english language to my class (im in year 10), and I’m not sure what to do it on. My teacher is super unhelpful and just told us to do a ‘serious topic’ and people in my class are doing feminism, religion vs medicine, inflation, student debt etc. It’s probably bad but I don’t really know anything about any of these sort of topics, and I’m not necessarily ‘passionate’ about any causes or world issues (?). What should i do?

Well, it is always a good idea to talk about what you’re passionate about. I once told my younger brother,my brother who was a GCSE student search up ‘GCSE Speech examples’ and there was a model of someone talking about zodiac signs and it was cool to know about how that person was passionate about astrology. But if you have nothing that you’re passionate about, I suggest you find a topic from the news! There is honestly so much! My best advice is to RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH!!! That is the only way you will sound passionate if you have a lot of understanding about something just by researching 👍 this can be in forms of YouTube videos too…
I would suggest you do something that you have some knowledge on because you will have to answer some questions from the teacher or the class about that topic.
Reply 6
Original post by bts_army.1717
I would suggest you do something that you have some knowledge on because you will have to answer some questions from the teacher or the class about that topic.

Yeah it doesn't have to be something topical. My teacher made us do it on stuff related to the texts we were studying for English literature, someone else I know just gave a talk about the battle of Carrhae.
Reply 7
Original post by Jihoooo
This is so off topic but what seems to be the discussion around Finland’s education system? My interest is piqued. (Not a GCSE student btw)

Its like drastically different to the uk system bcs they dont have any kind of exam until 18 or smth i think and they dont have set classes or very many rules in school either and they let u study what u want from when ur a kid until 16/18 and its been very successful i forgot the exact number but it was like 97% of finland students did something idk what the something was and they beat the uk in those like reading and maths tests so they were saying if this worked so well for finland surely it can work for the uk too
Reply 8
Original post by imcr1122
Its like drastically different to the uk system bcs they dont have any kind of exam until 18 or smth i think and they dont have set classes or very many rules in school either and they let u study what u want from when ur a kid until 16/18 and its been very successful i forgot the exact number but it was like 97% of finland students did something idk what the something was and they beat the uk in those like reading and maths tests so they were saying if this worked so well for finland surely it can work for the uk too

Suddenly, I wish I was in Finland😟 thank you for the insight!

Quick Reply

Latest