The Student Room Group

The World and Cultural Diversity, Edexcel, Geography Unit 4

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Cob
Original post by alindp
Ok I know this is going to sound kind of worrying, but what do they actually mean with contrasting? Is it in terms of contrasting levels of cultural diversity (monocultural, multicultural...)? I mean, could they ask, for example, about contrasting locations in terms of development? Sorry for this question, it's just that I'm starting to freak out :frown:

Contrasting means different places in terms of cultural diversity/ differing climate change impacts influencing diversity levels\contrasting governmental policies influencing cultural diversity levels
Sorry didn't understand second section of your q
Original post by M-Dog
what sources have you used for research of case studies and theories?

Textbooks like Dunn et al, website like migrationpolicy.org and bhutan DVD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 182
Original post by xxxcatxxx
I was just wondering, since they've asked for an exploration of both physical and human factors in the pre-release, do you think they'd be cruel enough to just ask us to explore just one set in the actual exam?

So, examine the effects of physical factors on cultural diversity?

I think I'd just about die if they asked that... I'd compare them to human factors anyway I'd guess?! They did ask us to explore both in the pre-release statement!!

Even if they state one you discuss both such as 'to what extent do physical factors influence the degree b of cultural diversity'
Reply 183
I don't like the methodology....

What themes\theories\ models is every one using?

I'm using the cultural dynamics model and colonialism\ social darwanism
Reply 184
Original post by mollyx
Textbooks like Dunn et al, website like migrationpolicy.org and bhutan DVD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those are your references, apply them
Original post by M-Dog
Those are your references, apply them

I know I have applied them lol!! But I needed to give other websites to say how they could become more reliable

Posted from TSR Mobile
What is a good tribe to use for the Sahara. Like how they have adapted because of the extreme environments?
Original post by mollyx
How would you structure it if it was just physical or vice versa? Like interms of your main analysis, like 3.1 3.2 etc..

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dont do my headings like that.
I'd just do:
physical factors
then human
I was just wondering, since they've asked for an exploration of both physical and human factors in the pre-release, do you think they'd be cruel enough to just ask us to explore just one set in the actual exam?

So, examine the effects of physical factors on cultural diversity?

I think I'd just about die if they asked that... I'd compare them to human factors anyway I'd guess?! They did ask us to explore both in the pre-release statement!!

Even if they do ask for one factor I would definitely talk about both the physical and human factors, you'll need both to be able to evaluate :smile:
Original post by LucyR96
What is a good tribe to use for the Sahara. Like how they have adapted because of the extreme environments?

The bedouin tribe
Reply 190
Original post by M-Dog
Cob

Contrasting means different places in terms of cultural diversity/ differing climate change impacts influencing diversity levels\contrasting governmental policies influencing cultural diversity levels
Sorry didn't understand second section of your q

Thanks so much! That was basically my question! :biggrin:
I don't have any theories or models in mine, will this hinder me from reaching top marks?

I do have a spider diagram and a map of a country.
I don't have any theories or models in mine, will this hinder me from reaching top marks?

I do have a spider diagram and a map of a country.

They can't as diagrams! I'm got spider diagram aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile
could someone please explain social Darwinism theory to me please i'm finding internet definitions hard to understand! and the cultural dynamics model please!
Reply 194
Original post by tasha472
could someone please explain social Darwinism theory to me please i'm finding internet definitions hard to understand! and the cultural dynamics model please!

It's basically Darwinism and survival of the first in people- the belief of a inferior and superior race. This can be detected in colonialism alongside economic exploitation and the work of missionaries
In my globalisation section, is Cultural imperialism and News Corporation okay to use? Also what theories/models can I apply to this? Xx
Original post by mollyx
They can't as diagrams! I'm got spider diagram aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you mean to say "count"? I hope you did haha!
just so you all know, diagrams aren't vital for your report and so if you dont think you can put one in, it wont hinder your mark.
Also, theories are great but are also not vital to achieve the best marks. There is no point putting content in your report just for the sake of it. you wont get marks for something that doesnt support what you're saying.

this is advice from examiners.
Did you mean to say "count"? I hope you did haha!

yeah haha I meant count :smile:
Just found what looks to be a pretty useful web page for those of us planning on doing globalisation

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/1357503/cultural-globalization

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending