The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk XII

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Oh my goddd I've missed the coursework deadline yet again. This isn't even funny anymore :frown:
Reply 781
Original post by superwolf
I'm feeling surprisingly good today. :smile: Which is convenient, cos I have to do something mildly scary (go to a train station I've not been to before and meet a woman I don't know to pick up a mouse cage). But I am feeling positive, caffeinated and happy. :excited:

Also my new knitting books came today!

Ooh exciting! Hope it went well and you have a lovely new mouse cage. Now you can knit the mice clothes! :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 782
Haven't posted as regularly as I normally do. Thought I'd give you all some breathing space and not clog up the thread every time I'm on.

Just wanted to say I hope you're all doing okay.
Reply 783
Original post by Meaty_man
Therapy can be quite tiring too, at least from my experience :0 I feel restless a lot...i almost always need to fidget or have a nervous leg, and i don't always sleep that well :|

I assume its over now and you're either running around or sleeping :tongue: Hope the therapy session was good!

If i'm sitting down for a long time I almost always need to fidget so my legs don't hurt or go numb. Sometimes just having them up is enough though. I always feel a bit mean telling little kids to stay still cos I know how frustrating it can be. :colondollar:

Had a lay down and a bit of a pace between sessions. I was okay in the later one (thanks partially to really odd sitting positions :P)

Back home now and going to have a nap after a nice relaxing bath and quick call to my bf. And suprise suprise my cat is curled up on my bed again so I get to cuddle him too. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by senz72
Haven't posted as regularly as I normally do. Thought I'd give you all some breathing space and not clog up the thread every time I'm on.

Just wanted to say I hope you're all doing okay.

I personally like it when the thread is more busy, it feels more homely :tongue: I'm doing pretty good and i hope you're doing alright yourself ^^

Original post by Kindred
If i'm sitting down for a long time I almost always need to fidget so my legs don't hurt or go numb. Sometimes just having them up is enough though. I always feel a bit mean telling little kids to stay still cos I know how frustrating it can be. :colondollar:

Had a lay down and a bit of a pace between sessions. I was okay in the later one (thanks partially to really odd sitting positions :P)

Back home now and going to have a nap after a nice relaxing bath and quick call to my bf. And suprise suprise my cat is curled up on my bed again so I get to cuddle him too. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah its funny, we know how bad it is to do certain stuff, and we even tell others not to do it, yet we can do it ourselves some times :d One of my bad habits is crossing my legs and sitting on them, im pretty sure i have real bad circulation to my feet now >_> I have to make a conscious effort to not cross my legs, and even then sometimes i'll just realise i've done it without thinking xD

Its the simple things that can be the most enjoyable :smile: I often notice my mood is lifted a lot when i have a good cuppa or a nice chat to someone.
its stupid how little my doctor knows about depression, or any mental illness for that matter. these appointments are really doing no good for me. I leave feeling absolutely emotionally charged and it nearly always ends in me spending ages crying at home and having some sort of weird breakdown. I cant regulate all these emotions
Had stress-workshop - only three people turned up :tongue: But was helpful I think!
Helped point out bad habits I have with approaching work/situations, and another pointer to do some exercise. So might look into that more...! One person said he'd found starting squash this year had helped him lots with stress/work.

Some good mindfulness/stress management exercises, which were really calming, and also a bit on sleep hygiene (I think...)

Overall helpful :smile: Though also reminded me/made me think back to the counselling session/difficult-er questions near the end of that. Probably need to question them more myself, and maybe be more honest next time/just say what I'm thinking.

Managed to get a fair amount of work done this morning, too! Plus spoke to tutor, and he thought I was doing okay, so I think that that's encouraging :smile: Think I *manage*, but struggle a lot when feeling down. I don't know :s-smilie: I'm not sure if he knows about my most recent assignments! :eek: But yes, encouraging :yep: (Think positive, duck!)

Overall feeling really pretty good the last few days - in terms of feeling *down*. Been upset/worrying an ish amount, but not felt particularly down that much, which is good :smile:

Might not post so often this weekend, not sure yet - might try and get lots of work done, and just focus on making progress while I'm still not feeling rubbish :smile:

Long rambl-y post again :colondollar:

OH! And also fed the ducks after the workshop :biggrin: Was good :yep: Some of them fight though :unimpressed: There was the same one there though that ate from my hand :yep: :love: Feels odd though feeding them in the day time :tongue: People walking past/judging, though generally just try to ignore!

Hope everyone's doing okay :hugs:

OH AND ONE MORE THING (Sorry :tongue:) I'm trying to decide whether to message an acquaintance/friend, saw her quite a few weeks ago looking quite sad/down - smiled to say hello, and then went back to a sadface, and it's been playing on my mind whether to check if she's okay/not. But maybe it's too late now to ask :colondollar: :s-smilie: Example:

Spoiler

Not sure :s-smilie:

Thank you lots guys :grouphugs:
Reply 787
Original post by purple-duck
Had stress-workshop - only three people turned up :tongue: But was helpful I think!
Helped point out bad habits I have with approaching work/situations, and another pointer to do some exercise. So might look into that more...! One person said he'd found starting squash this year had helped him lots with stress/work.

Sports help me hugely with stress. Where did you do this workshop?
Original post by james1211
Sports help me hugely with stress. Where did you do this workshop?

Was at the Uni's counselling thingy-ma-bob, they run a workshop each week, might sign up to a few more - was nice and therapeutic, though it also meant I had to miss a lecture/lie to friends about missing it :s-smilie:
Will look into a good sport :yep: Maybe start badminton/squash next term or something :dontknow:
Original post by james1211
Good idea :smile:

Yeah i'm alright today! Was a bit shaky this morning but Poncho sorted me out :tongue:

Awesome (just like Poncho :h:). :yy:

Original post by Meaty_man
Glad to hear that despite the spookyness, you're still feeling good :biggrin: At least it's a public place so you're not in any danger, lame people don't tend to get up to nasty stuff when there's lots of people around :smile: What kinda stuff is in the knitting book? :0

I've been drinking a lot of herbal tea recently :ninja: tastes delicious but unlike most tasty beverages, they aren't bad for you :tongue: I've even got like 5 different flavours too (lemon balm and liquorice, pomegranate, Echinea, nettle and mate, and green tea with something). I can drink quite a lot of it in a day but they're caffeine free, so no worries xD Also have a ceramic burning thing for aromatherapy stuff which is also nice, my room spells quite good :biggrin: Eucalyptus and orange are my fave smells atm ^^

I found out the other day that the eucalyptus oil i have smells a lot like cough sweets, this plant is supposed to have decongestant properties, btw. So upon reading ingredients, yup, the same stuff is in these cough sweets!(that's why they can work). The nerve that some people have claiming its all placebo rubbish, when the very same plants are used in other things, just hidden! :shakecane:

I got the cage, it's in really good condition for being second hand, and will make a nice holiday home for my mice. :smile:

I got two knitting books - one's about techniques for knitting multiple colours at once, and the other's a book of patterns for baby blankets (so I can steal approximate sizes and know how much yarn to buy, as well as for ideas).

Herbal tea is good. Although I resent the insinuation that coffee might be bad for you! :angry: :tongue:

Original post by PonchoKid
Baby blankets are uber cute, infact babies in general are cute :smile: :tongue:

Youll have to ask her, this poncho however is ok, triggeriffic last night but managed to sleep, so feeling a bit better today :smile: and done so e washing :smile:

Hows the wonderful resident wolf? Other than having to go pick up the mousie cage?

Posted from TSR Mobile

:hand: Babies are yick. :yucky:

Wolfie is good, feeling a little restless (too many ideas + absolutely not too much caffeine + indecisiveness = jitter jitter jitter wolf). :tongue: Might come on skype to pester you for knitting entertainment in a bit.

Original post by Kindred
Ooh exciting! Hope it went well and you have a lovely new mouse cage. Now you can knit the mice clothes! :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do indeed have a lovely new cage. :cute: Unfortunately mice are a bit too wriggly for dressing up though. :tongue:

Original post by Tilly-Elizabeth
So I started MoodGym. How good are their quizzes for testing for depression and anxiety? It gave me moderate/high for both Are those reliable do you think or untrustworthy? Finished the first module on feeling and found it to be quite good. I don't think my thoughts have changed much, but it's made me see how I think and how I can change that so I guess it's progress.

It's a while since I've done moodgym, but I think their quizzes were decent enough, although not nearly so reliable as a trip to the doctor's.

I wouldn't expect to see overnight changes in your mood or thoughts, but if you keep at it then like you say you'll learn more about how to change your thought processes, and identify when things are going wrong. :smile:

Original post by ScaryScience
its stupid how little my doctor knows about depression, or any mental illness for that matter. these appointments are really doing no good for me. I leave feeling absolutely emotionally charged and it nearly always ends in me spending ages crying at home and having some sort of weird breakdown. I cant regulate all these emotions

:hugs: You could really do with some *proper* medical help - is there really no-one else you can see?

Some good mindfulness/stress management exercises, which were really calming, and also a bit on sleep hygiene (I think...)

Overall helpful :smile: Though also reminded me/made me think back to the counselling session/difficult-er questions near the end of that. Probably need to question them more myself, and maybe be more honest next time/just say what I'm thinking.

Managed to get a fair amount of work done this morning, too! Plus spoke to tutor, and he thought I was doing okay, so I think that that's encouraging :smile: Think I *manage*, but struggle a lot when feeling down. I don't know :s-smilie: I'm not sure if he knows about my most recent assignments! :eek: But yes, encouraging :yep: (Think positive, duck!)

Overall feeling really pretty good the last few days - in terms of feeling *down*. Been upset/worrying an ish amount, but not felt particularly down that much, which is good :smile:

Might not post so often this weekend, not sure yet - might try and get lots of work done, and just focus on making progress while I'm still not feeling rubbish :smile:

Long rambl-y post again :colondollar:

OH! And also fed the ducks after the workshop :biggrin: Was good :yep: Some of them fight though :unimpressed: There was the same one there though that ate from my hand :yep: :love: Feels odd though feeding them in the day time :tongue: People walking past/judging, though generally just try to ignore!

Hope everyone's doing okay :hugs:

OH AND ONE MORE THING (Sorry :tongue:) I'm trying to decide whether to message an acquaintance/friend, saw her quite a few weeks ago looking quite sad/down - smiled to say hello, and then went back to a sadface, and it's been playing on my mind whether to check if she's okay/not. But maybe it's too late now to ask :colondollar: :s-smilie: Example:

Spoiler

Not sure :s-smilie:

Thank you lots guys :grouphugs:

Well done duckie! The workshop sounds like it was a really good idea for you, and hopefully you'll put some of the stuff you learned to good use. :smile:

And don't let anyone put you off feeding the ducks, you enjoy it, the ducks enjoy it, and everyone else can **** off. :tongue:

I think your friend will probably appreciate the fact that someone cares if she looked down, even if it was a few weeks ago. I think you could probably leave out the apology at the end, but other than that I'd go ahead. :smile:
Reply 790
Was at the Uni's counselling thingy-ma-bob, they run a workshop each week, might sign up to a few more - was nice and therapeutic, though it also meant I had to miss a lecture/lie to friends about missing it :s-smilie:
Will look into a good sport :yep: Maybe start badminton/squash next term or something :dontknow:

Yeah i play badminton on sundays, good stress reliever :smile:
Reply 791
Awesome (just like Poncho :h:). :yy:

I got the cage, it's in really good condition for being second hand, and will make a nice holiday home for my mice. :smile:

I got two knitting books - one's about techniques for knitting multiple colours at once, and the other's a book of patterns for baby blankets (so I can steal approximate sizes and know how much yarn to buy, as well as for ideas).

Herbal tea is good. Although I resent the insinuation that coffee might be bad for you! :angry: :tongue:

:hand: Babies are yick. :yucky:

Wolfie is good, feeling a little restless (too many ideas + absolutely not too much caffeine + indecisiveness = jitter jitter jitter wolf). :tongue: Might come on skype to pester you for knitting entertainment in a bit.

:grumble:

But they are cute :smile:

Noooo you would never have too much caffeine!
Skype sounds good, just eating now but it will help me when the landlord comes round in a bit :afraid:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone had a medical interview for PIP/DSA? What's it like?
Original post by PonchoKid
:grumble:

But they are cute :smile:

Noooo you would never have too much caffeine!
Skype sounds good, just eating now but it will help me when the landlord comes round in a bit :afraid:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Never ever! :nutcase:

:yy: Will come online in a bit.

Original post by Noodlzzz
Has anyone had a medical interview for PIP/DSA? What's it like?

Do you mean DLA? If so then it's nothing to worry about, just the usual irrelevant questions and then they probably say you're fine, and then you go through the appeals process and six months + later they decide you really are ill and give you a bunch of cash. :tongue:
Never ever! :nutcase:

:yy: Will come online in a bit.

Do you mean DLA? If so then it's nothing to worry about, just the usual irrelevant questions and then they probably say you're fine, and then you go through the appeals process and six months + later they decide you really are ill and give you a bunch of cash. :tongue:

Yes DLA. What sort of questions? Sorry to hear about your experience :frown:
Original post by Noodlzzz
Yes DLA. What sort of questions? Sorry to hear about your experience :frown:

So far as I recall (was a fair bit ago and there's a chance I'll mix this up with the ESA interview) they go through the form with you, so all the questions about can you climb a flight of stairs (to which the correct answer isn't 'yes, of course', it's 'this depends on whether or not I have the energy and motivation to climb said stairs, so quite often no'), can you cook a meal, blah de blah.

The most important thing is to stress over and over the genuine difficulties you have, linking them to as many daily problems as you can so as to tick all their silly boxes. So: even things you could theoretically do fine on a good day, make sure you tell them why you couldn't do them on a bad or average day. And remember that there are two different components to DLA - care and mobility. I get lowest rate on both, which is unusual for someone with depression, and I think I got it (on appeal) because I had actual proof of my need to have someone around near-constantly, especially when leaving the house (Rob photocopied around £3000 worth of petrol receipts showing all the trips he made to look after me between Manchester and Nottingham :love:). So if you think you ought to get one or both, make sure and have as many points/evidence as to why you should get them as possible.
So far as I recall (was a fair bit ago and there's a chance I'll mix this up with the ESA interview) they go through the form with you, so all the questions about can you climb a flight of stairs (to which the correct answer isn't 'yes, of course', it's 'this depends on whether or not I have the energy and motivation to climb said stairs, so quite often no'), can you cook a meal, blah de blah.

The most important thing is to stress over and over the genuine difficulties you have, linking them to as many daily problems as you can so as to tick all their silly boxes. So: even things you could theoretically do fine on a good day, make sure you tell them why you couldn't do them on a bad or average day. And remember that there are two different components to DLA - care and mobility. I get lowest rate on both, which is unusual for someone with depression, and I think I got it (on appeal) because I had actual proof of my need to have someone around near-constantly, especially when leaving the house (Rob photocopied around £3000 worth of petrol receipts showing all the trips he made to look after me between Manchester and Nottingham :love:). So if you think you ought to get one or both, make sure and have as many points/evidence as to why you should get them as possible.

Great, thanks!
Reply 797

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Sorry I haven't been posting. I need some time out from this thread. I will read when I can but think just feeling a bit introspective atm and need some space :getmecoat:
Reply 799
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Sorry I haven't been posting. I need some time out from this thread. I will read when I can but think just feeling a bit introspective atm and need some space :getmecoat:

:jumphug: ill keep checking in on you hun! :lovehug:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest