The Student Room Group

Do you think people dress for themselves or for what other people will think of them?

Is there anyone here that just doesn't care what people think about the way they dress?

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

I don't know about everyone else but I dress for myself :smile:
Reply 2
I think it all depends on where you live and what the people are wearing.
South Korea and Japan are probably places where people dress for what people think, given that they have plastic surgery places that are like hair dressers over there (especially Korea).
And people that wear stupid expensive logos like Jack Willis and Hollister are likely dressing based on what other people think of them.

Just my opinion.

Anyway, I don't dress for other people.
(edited 10 years ago)
I dress how I like, much prefer to be unique.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Lucy96
I dress how I like, much prefer to be unique.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surely that means you are judging yourself against other people who dress pretty much the same.
Original post by tehforum
Surely that means you are judging yourself against other people who dress pretty much the same.

Yeah, but I still wear things for myself and not others? :tongue: I don't care if people don't like what I wear.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6

Mind = Blown.
I dress for myself and I wear whatever I want too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
MOST people dress for society following fashion. Wearing designer clothes and Armani, Gucci and ****, even though they get paid like £25 a day and dress like 50 cent. Personally I dress like my money, Im not rich im 16 I dress casually and only for who I am. Srsly I buy clothes that were in fashion 10 years ago by purpose because I don't want to blend in.
Reply 9
Original post by ChowSultan
MOST people dress for society following fashion. Wearing designer clothes and Armani, Gucci and ****, even though they get paid like £25 a day and dress like 50 cent. Personally I dress like my money, Im not rich im 16 I dress casually and only for who I am. Srsly I buy clothes that were in fashion 10 years ago by purpose because I don't want to blend in.

pics of a usual outfit?
Reply 10
I dress in stuff that I find comfortable and like. I don't buy things with the thought of what others will think of it. The only time that really comes into play is when I'll ask a friend if outfit A is more suitable for an occasion over outfit B, but even then, it's out of options that I like first and foremost.
I think pretty much everyone (even those who claim to dress absolutely for themselves) is doing it with an eye on what other people think. Not necessarily slapping themselves in brands or wearing the latest fashions, but to a little extent.

I'm one of those people. I don't really do fashion, and dress in an extremely generic smart-casual manner because it's requires the least effort. But if I had the choice, I'd probably wear one of these to work:

wool2.jpg

My workplace is very cold.

I think you'd struggle to find 0.05% of the population dressing absolutely for themselves.
Reply 12
Original post by Lucy96
Yeah, but I still wear things for myself and not others? :tongue: I don't care if people don't like what I wear.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So unique is not the correct word.
So unique is not the correct word.

Alright, no need to be picky :colonhash: :teehee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think everyone dresses based on what other people think of them. Even if you go out of your way to dress in clothes that might be considered weird etc, you're probably dressing on some level to create the image to other people of someone who doesn't care what other people think. Everyone cares what other people think.

Original post by russellsteapot
I'd probably wear one of these to work:

wool2.jpg

Those look uncomfortably warm.
(edited 10 years ago)
I pretty much just dress for me, apart from when I'm in my work uniform (depressingly often). I like to wear a shirt & jeans with semi-casual shoes. Like, everywhere. To uni, to go shopping, on a night out, just at home... I just like wearing shirts. Makes me feel smart. I'd like to have an excuse to wear suits more often, but I don't think I could do so because a suit is quite impractical.
I dress for myself :smile:
Reply 17
I believe that one leads to another. I usually dress in a t-shirt/short sleeve button down over chinos with a fairisle knit on top on a cold day.

I like the way it looks, but who told me that's how I like it?

I only wear it to Uni, I don't put that kind of thing on if I'm home or at work for the day.

I'm not sure I subscribe to the theory that everyone would wear hoodies and trackies if they were allowed to, personally I feel lethargic in them and generally leave them to cold days at work.

What I wear isn't always comfortable, but it certainly makes me feel good about myself. Ergo, I wear it for me.
I think that in reality most people dress for others even if they think they don't.
Reply 19
Original post by sarsoora
Is there anyone here that just doesn't care what people think about the way they dress?

:smile:

A bit of both

I make sure I look clean and presentable most the time but if I'm just nipping to the supermarket or to get some petrol, I usually just have my trakkies and a hoody on lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending