The Student Room Group

Is it possible I am a sociopath?

Now I know I might not have it but I want a bit of advice but here's a list of my traits:
-I find it hard to empathize with people. If someone is down and asks me for advice, I might give them some generic advice and hope that would be sufficient but I can't really understand how they are feeling
- I am terrible with confrontation. When hit with an objection in work, like a customer complaining, someone crying about maybe a bereavement etc, I just freeze and cannot respond. I usually pass them onto someone else who can give them the cues they need
-I find it hard to form real relationships. They are all very general and don't have much substance
-I find it difficult to show emotion and also when I am down, it's usually about feeling sorry for myself. I rarely feel guilty
-I also get really angry when people go against me, don't like when people see the bad or the "true" side to me. When I say things, I usually bite my tongue a lot because even though I have said a lot of hurtful things, I know there's more hurtful things I could've said.

The only thing that I don't have pleasure upon is violence.

I know I'm not really exactly normal but can't pinpoint what it is.
Nah, just an edgy teenager.
I wouldn't say so.
Reply 3
YOu may have a narcissistic personality. See a professional.
Original post by Anonymous

There is no such thing as normal.

Lots of people have different traits including ones associated with sociopathic tendencies.

I can guarantee a significant portion of ppl on this site have a lack of empathy and etc.

Like with all human characteristics ( ie sexuality), personality is a wide spectrum.
Reply 5
Now I know I might not have it but I want a bit of advice but here's a list of my traits:
-I find it hard to empathize with people. If someone is down and asks me for advice, I might give them some generic advice and hope that would be sufficient but I can't really understand how they are feeling
- I am terrible with confrontation. When hit with an objection in work, like a customer complaining, someone crying about maybe a bereavement etc, I just freeze and cannot respond. I usually pass them onto someone else who can give them the cues they need
-I find it hard to form real relationships. They are all very general and don't have much substance
-I find it difficult to show emotion and also when I am down, it's usually about feeling sorry for myself. I rarely feel guilty
-I also get really angry when people go against me, don't like when people see the bad or the "true" side to me. When I say things, I usually bite my tongue a lot because even though I have said a lot of hurtful things, I know there's more hurtful things I could've said.

Everyone is different personality wise - some people find it easy to sympathize with people, others don't. The fact that you know that what you say is hurtful shows that you recognize what you say may not be right.
"I know there's more hurtful things I could have said"
- Although you admit that you could have said something more hurtful you refrain from actually speaking it out - that shows that you do feel guilty at times - maybe you're just shy and don't know how to express yourself? That's the case for many people.
Just one other thing I would like to add - don't accidentally mix up a sociopath with a psychopath. Psychopaths are people who tend to pose as a danger and cannot seem to feel much sympathy for other people (this is very different from a sociopath since psychopaths [usually] do not mind using violence against others)
A sociopath (who may also have emotional problems) is usually a person who has difficulty in understanding and getting to know other people but is rarely ever a threat (as you say you don't find pleasure in violence). Anyone (even your next door neighbour!) could be a sociopath.
There is a difference between a lack of empathy and an absence of empathy. There is also a difference between not knowing how to and not wanting to know, a difference not having learned something and not being able to learn.

I find it hard to empathize with people. If someone is down and asks me for advice, I might give them some generic advice and hope that would be sufficient but I can't really understand how they are feeling.
Would you want to be better at it? That is the question to ask.

I am terrible with confrontation. When hit with an objection in work, like a customer complaining, someone crying about maybe a bereavement etc, I just freeze and cannot respond. I usually pass them onto someone else who can give them the cues they need
Sound more like being insecure and being unable to interprete and understand each other (sounds very clinical, but can be also normal and just means, you have to put more effort than others to learn social clues). A "Soziopath" isn't shy, why should he? He does not understand, but not in a sense of struggling with speaking to someone.

I find it hard to form real relationships. They are all very general and don't have much substance
Can have many reasons.

I find it difficult to show emotion and also when I am down, it's usually about feeling sorry for myself. I rarely feel guilty

Difficult to say, especially not knowing your age.

I also get really angry when people go against me, don't like when people see the bad or the "true" side to me. When I say things, I usually bite my tongue a lot because even though I have said a lot of hurtful things, I know there's more hurtful things I could've said.
Do you like not being nice? Again, the question is, what do you want? There are many things which can hinder one, from becoming a social and/or nice person, but that does not mean, it is in your nature.

Very good.

At the end, you can allways ask a professional, especially, if that hinders you from living the life you want to live. All the points can be also caused by something else and it is not good to have a opinion of yourself, which might not be true. Do deny help, which is out there. Being able to get along with others, is really important.
Doesn't sound sociopathic to me. Sociopaths tend to be extremely narcissistic and very charming. If you are freezing up when you encounter extreme emotions that suggests you do have empathy, and besides that's perfectly normal. Tbh, not showing emotions and being selfish is just normal adolescent male behaviour.
Reply 8
I would have difficulty dealing with emotional strangers, doesn't meAn I'm not empathetic, it's more that I'm just abit shy, so what a lot of people are shy. Your probably not a sociopath, it's probably that your just introverted and probably. Ever really have any experiences which are likely to tug at your heart strings
Reply 9
It could be anything from just your personality to some mild autistic traits, depression, anything. Sociopathy isn't a very common diagnosis and usually requires something telling.

Frankly, a lot of people feel the same way sometimes. It's not as odd as we each trick ourselves into thinking.
Reply 10
I'm no doctor, but i personally think you've maybe noticed some little attitude problems, and jumped to conclusions thinking you have some serious mental health issue.
You may have googled Psychopath and Sociopath like behavior and tried to connect the dots.

I happen to know a Sociopath or two, but to start to describe them and their behaviors, or how close I actually am to them is to remain completely confidential. :wink:

You may just be antisocial, it's difficult to judge with your age, but don't jump the gun. If you were a sociopath, i highly doubt you would be sitting on forms trying to get rid of your brilliant condition of sociopathy, you would be out putting it to some good use, conning a customer in work or something similar, :wink: good luck!
I agree with other posts although you show some traits you are definitely not a sociopath.
A sociopath is actually highly adept in social situations, which it sounds like you are not you feel socially awkward a sociopath does not they feel socially confident, for example.
When we don't exactly fit the norm it does not mean we need to be categorised as having a mental illness/disorder, we over medicalise and label IMO.
No.

A sociopath would not have that level of "self awareness".

Or you are such a dangerous sociopath that you do have self awareness and just don't care.

If you were you probably wouldn't be asking this question and would probably have a pretty high opinion of yourself.

You might have be on the autism spectrum or just have some normal anxiety issues.

Quick Reply

Latest