The Student Room Group

distributional assumptions

if you have a scenario where 6 balls are in a bag, numbered 1 to 6, and you take 3 out (with replacement) how would you find the probability distribution of the median of the numbers on the 3 balls,

i was able to do it for without replacement by considering the 20 different cases that arise but here i can see there would be 56 distinct cases, though not all equally likely, so i dont think that is the best way to go about it (by sheer computation)

any ideas guys

cheers

djx
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Original post by newblood
if you have a scenario where 6 balls are in a bag, numbered 1 to 6, and you take 3 out (with replacement) how would you find the probability distribution of the median of the numbers on the 3 balls,

i was able to do it for without replacement by considering the 20 different cases that arise but here i can see there would be 56 distinct cases, though not all equally likely, so i dont think that is the best way to go about it (by sheer computation)

any ideas guys

cheers

djx

To find probability(the median is less than or equal to x), you need probability(the lowest ball is less than or equal to x and the highest ball is greater than or equal to x). That's equivalent to probability(there is a ball which is greater than or equal to x, and there is a ball which is less than or equal to x). Does that help?

(I haven't formulated a complete answer, but that's how I'd go about it.)

Quick Reply

Latest