The Student Room Group

OCR A Level Further Mathematics MEI Statistics Minor Y432/01-16 Jun 2023 [Exam Chat]

Another one

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
lightwork
Reply 2
*chef’s kiss*
Reply 3
What was anyone's value for last question part a and b?
So I got 25/3 outside the bracket I think and then (n^2 - 38n something)
Reply 5
Couldn’t do the last question and I cba to do the P(x=1) question. The rest I hope I did ok. Looking for at least a b maybe an a
Reply 6
60/60
Original post by HxTrinity
Couldn’t do the last question and I cba to do the P(x=1) question. The rest I hope I did ok. Looking for at least a b maybe an a
I did 3!/4^3 donno if methods right but I answers right
Reply 8
what did everyone get for 1c , geometric question
Reply 9
Original post by damarfm
what did everyone get for 1c , geometric question

0.8 somethinf
Original post by owarida
0.8 somethinf

Yeah 0.88 something
Reply 11
Original post by Fndjdidisjb
So I got 25/3 outside the bracket I think and then (n^2 - 38n something)

I got 25/6(n^2 -198n +9800)
Reply 12
Original post by ved.b
I got 25/6(n^2 -198n +9800)

This is correct

With the question before that, P[X<(n+100)/2]

I let n = 2k (will help generally and converted it later)

Range is n - 100 + 1 = n-99 (or 2k-99)
P[X<(k+50)] ~ i subbed in 2k
Because it's lower than (k + 50) it has to be k + 49 since it doesn't include that +1
P[X<]
So range of values it can take on is (k + 49) - (100) + 1 (1 extra because inclusive)
This leaves the range of possible values (or discrete "sides" is one way of thinking about it) to be:
k - 50
The probability of each "side" occurring is 1/(2k - 99). The formula for calculating the cumulative probability is [no. possible "sides" x 1/prob]
(k-50)/(2k-99).
Now converting back in terms of n:
0.5n-50/n-99 = n-100/2n-198
Reply 13
Original post by Roider
This is correct

With the question before that, P[X<(n+100)/2]

I let n = 2k (will help generally and converted it later)

Range is n - 100 + 1 = n-99 (or 2k-99)
P[X<(k+50)] ~ i subbed in 2k
Because it's lower than (k + 50) it has to be k + 49 since it doesn't include that +1
P[X<]
So range of values it can take on is (k + 49) - (100) + 1 (1 extra because inclusive)
This leaves the range of possible values (or discrete "sides" is one way of thinking about it) to be:
k - 50
The probability of each "side" occurring is 1/(2k - 99). The formula for calculating the cumulative probability is [no. possible "sides" x 1/prob]
(k-50)/(2k-99).
Now converting back in terms of n:
0.5n-50/n-99 = n-100/2n-198

what did you write for the pmcc not being valid q out of interest
Reply 14
Original post by damarfm
what did you write for the pmcc not being valid q out of interest

That was a bit tricky, as the data did, in fact, look roughly elliptical.
The variables were between sawing and cutting (I think)

Those two variables are not independent, which is a requirement of PMCC, so I talked about how if you're good at sawing, you are likely to be good at cutting. ie variables are dependent.

I also threw in other terms just in case, like possibly not being from a Bivariate normal distribution (even though it was a random sample, it was a random sample of only competitors, which itself gives bias when trying to find a correlation for a population.
Reply 15
Original post by Roider
That was a bit tricky, as the data did, in fact, look roughly elliptical.
The variables were between sawing and cutting (I think)

Those two variables are not independent, which is a requirement of PMCC, so I talked about how if you're good at sawing, you are likely to be good at cutting. ie variables are dependent.

I also threw in other terms just in case, like possibly not being from a Bivariate normal distribution (even though it was a random sample, it was a random sample of only competitors, which itself gives bias when trying to find a correlation for a population.

I said it looks roughly elliptical only because of the outlier at the top right, would that work
and one final one on q3 three spins of a fair dice, did we have to do 10 squared or 10 times the variance as it said the sum and it said state one assumption that you are making or something along those lines
Reply 16
Original post by damarfm
I said it looks roughly elliptical only because of the outlier at the top right, would that work
and one final one on q3 three spins of a fair dice, did we have to do 10 squared or 10 times the variance as it said the sum and it said state one assumption that you are making or something along those lines

Yeah I talked about that one outlier as well for that question.

For the assumption for manipulations of variance and mean, we always talk about how each event occurs independent of each other.
Reply 17
Original post by Roider
Yeah I talked about that one outlier as well for that question.

For the assumption for manipulations of variance and mean, we always talk about how each event occurs independent of each other.

and since we were saying sum of 10 independent values of X, it was variance x 10 square rooted for finding the sd, correct?
Reply 18
Original post by damarfm
and since we were saying sum of 10 independent values of X, it was variance x 10 square rooted for finding the sd, correct?

Nah it was just times by 10. Reason being is the Var(x) +- Var(y) = Var(x) + Var(y)

So it was 10Var(X) then square rooted

It was not Var(10X) = 10^2 Var(X)
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Roider
Nah it was just times by 10. Reason being is the Var(x) +- Var(y) = Var(x) + Var(y)

So it was 10Var(X) then square rooted

Yes, that is what I meant :smile:
Thanks and sorry for bothering you, i think I only made mistakes in the english(commenting) questions and 7a, which should be fine, just a couple marks

Quick Reply

Latest