The Student Room Group

Probability help

I am a little confused about this topic. As there are many discrete probabilities Bern,binomi,geometric and poisson etc.

I understand when to use the mean but I am unsure on what the variance is and how would I apply it to questions. E.g when I use the mean the question asks calculate average number of ... etc

But I am unsure about variance
Reply 1
Hi what age group is this for?
Reply 2
Original post by Teresa09
Hi what age group is this for?

AS and A level
Reply 3
Oh okay sorry I’m not that level yet
Reply 4
Original post by OF2678
I am a little confused about this topic. As there are many discrete probabilities Bern,binomi,geometric and poisson etc.

I understand when to use the mean but I am unsure on what the variance is and how would I apply it to questions. E.g when I use the mean the question asks calculate average number of ... etc

But I am unsure about variance

The different discrete probability distributions have different formulas for the mean and variance. For example, the mean of a Bernoulli distribution is the probability of success, while the variance is the probability of success times the probability of failure. Here are some examples of how to use the mean and variance to answer questions about discrete probability distributions: Question: What is the average number of times a coin will land on heads if it is flipped 10 times? Answer: The mean of a Bernoulli distribution is the probability of success, which in this case is 0.5. Therefore, the average number of times a coin will land onheads if it is flipped 10 times is 5.

Question: What is the probability that you will get more than 5 heads if you flip a coin 10 times? Answer: The variance of a Bernoulli distribution is the probability of success times the probability of failure, which in this case is 0.25. Therefore, the probability that you will get more than 5 heads if you flip a coin 10 times is less than 0.25.

Quick Reply

Latest