The Student Room Group

York, Newcastle or Cardiff??

The main question is between York and Newcastle, Cardiff will be my insurance. I'm currently doing a foundation year in mathematics at Plymouth and have offers from all 3 for next year. York and Newcastle want 70% and Cardiff want 60%.

I just really want to know from any current or past students what the universities are like?

From what I have gathered:

York
Pros: Closer to home, nice small city, slightly better academically...
Cons: Not all in the city centre, what I love about plymouth is that you can walk anywhere, from home to uni to town all within 15 minutes. Also apparently the nightlife isn't great.

Newcastle
Pros: Better nightlife, apparently the uni is near town and where you live so that's a really attractive quality for me.
Cons: Not quite as good academically, bit further away from home.

I'm really struggling to decide, immediately I thought York but then on finding out everything is quite spaced out I'm unsure again. I'm not too bothered about nightlife but it doesn't hurt to have the option.

Also to people at all 3 unis, where do all the students live? I'm planning to just get a 1 bedroom flat, can't be dealing with another year of halls and don't really want to share a house with strangers!

Original post by SophieHarrison
The main question is between York and Newcastle, Cardiff will be my insurance. I'm currently doing a foundation year in mathematics at Plymouth and have offers from all 3 for next year. York and Newcastle want 70% and Cardiff want 60%.

I just really want to know from any current or past students what the universities are like?

York
Cons: Not all in the city centre, what I love about plymouth is that you can walk anywhere, from home to uni to town all within 15 minutes. Also apparently the nightlife isn't great.

Newcastle
Pros: Better nightlife, apparently the uni is near town and where you live so that's a really attractive quality for me.

I'm really struggling to decide, immediately I thought York but then on finding out everything is quite spaced out I'm unsure again. I'm not too bothered about nightlife but it doesn't hurt to have the option.

Also to people at all 3 unis, where do all the students live? I'm planning to just get a 1 bedroom flat, can't be dealing with another year of halls and don't really want to share a house with strangers!

Hi! So I go to Cardiff University and I personally love it. Good night life, everything in walking distance, great Students Union. After first year, students will normally get houses together in Cathays. But if you are wanting a one bedroom flat there is places like Crown Place and Zenith etc.
I am also from Newcastle and students there tend to live in houses in Jesmond. I have a few friends that stayed in Newcastle to go to University and they love it. Obviously great night life, you're not as cut off as York because the University is literally in town.
Original post by SophieHarrison

York

Newcastle

If your looking at a city centre university with facilities around Cardiff will be your best choice. The university is about 5 minutes walk from the city centre and the city is recognised as one of the best in the UK. . Most people live in shared housing in Roath or Cathays and there are many private halls in the city. Certainly from Roath or Cathays you can walk to most places except possibly Cardiff Bay. I dont know about 1 bedroom flats. As already advised most will stay in shared houses and that will apply everywhere I suspect. It is one of the most affordable student cities in the UK. Cardiff host international cricket, rugby and football and most bands tend to use one of the Cardiff stadia or the International Arena as part of their tours. There is also parks and walks close to the university.I doubt there will be much difference in standard between all 3 but you need to decide on what is right for you in terms of distance from home and the kind of environment you want. Cardiff is 1 place below York in CUG for Maths but dont rely on rankings.

I would also suggest delaying your decision. You have until June this year to make your decision. Visit all 3 to see what is right for you. Wales is reopening for travel to everyone on 12 April. It has particularly low covid rates which are dropping. You could visit before if you wish as long as you dont stay overnight. You would have reason as it is for education which is allowed. It is likely though that visit days will take place in May. Your dont say where you live but Cardiff is only a 30 minute journey by train from Bristol Parkway so it should be easy for a day visit from Plymouth and you can look around the city and come to your decision

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending