The Student Room Group

Tips for getting 100 UMS in a paper?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by m4ths/maths247
C1 is very basic for some and some do it in y11.
I have taught a number of students who either don't take y12 hugely seriously or start to find their mathematical brain in y13.
It has been done time an time again. Students who hit say 75 UM on C1 in January of year 12 hit 95+ in the summer of their year 13.
I don't think your 45/100 comment was fair.

I think this is the case for me. C1 I got 81, C2 I got 86, and now I never get below 95.
Reply 21
C1 is very basic for some and some do it in y11.
I have taught a number of students who either don't take y12 hugely seriously or start to find their mathematical brain in y13.
It has been done time an time again. Students who hit say 75 UM on C1 in January of year 12 hit 95+ in the summer of their year 13.
I don't think your 45/100 comment was fair.

Good for you. 45/100 was an obvious joke.
Reply 22
Original post by zNutty
Are you saying it's stupid to try and improve?
For the mocks, I actually did only eat sleep and do past papers for a few days, actual 14 hour revision days. It's the small mistakes I do that I'm trying to eliminate. The way I improved originally was typing up all my scores on all the Solomons into Excel and seeing if there was a pattern for the type of question I scored badly on. From this, I revised that topic a lot and did questions etc, and that's what I'm trying to do now. Identify the problem and come up with solutions, the problem being not getting 100 UMS every time.

You won't get 100 UMS everytime, sorry, not going to happen.
Original post by zNutty
I think this is the case for me. C1 I got 81, C2 I got 86, and now I never get below 95.

I would suggest getting some old text books (Bostock and Chandler for example) and just making sure you know both WHAT and WHY. For some this is the difference between very good marks and the top marks.
Past papers test your ability to answer 8-10 questions. They don't always confirm you can think about more quirky questions that may appear.
Past papers are good for pupils wanting to gain high marks. Pupils wanting to hit max marks should, IME, step away from JUST doing past papers and start to explore the course content a little more and look at extension questions.
Reply 24
For some students this is not the way to get 100 UMS. Knowing each topic is, not just being able to answer 8-10 questions set out on past papers.
Edexcel C3 June 2013 showed this.

Well not everyone can get 100 UMS, sad reality for some.
Reply 25
I would suggest getting some old text books (Bostock and Chandler for example) and just making sure you know both WHAT and WHY. For some this is the difference between very good marks and the top marks.
Past papers test your ability to answer 8-10 questions. They don't always confirm you can think about more quirky questions that may appear.
Past papers are good for pupils wanting to gain high marks. Pupils wanting to hit max marks should, IME, step away from JUST doing past papers and start to explore the course content a little more and look at extension questions.

I like that idea. Are there any other resources you could name for me?
Original post by Sellsword
Well not everyone can get 100 UMS, sad reality for some.

There was also a sad reality for many students who had just done past papers who didnt do well on this paper as it tested mathematical thinking rather than just being another past paper with the numbers in the questions changed over. many thought they would nail high marks but didnt.

Not everyone will get 100 UMS. From experience, those capable will generally get closer to it with a more balanced diet for revision.
Reply 28
Original post by Sellsword
Good for you. 45/100 was an obvious joke.

Hey, just stopping by to tell you I got 100 in C1, C3 and C4. Just as a middle finger really for your previous joke. :biggrin:

And thanks a lot for all the help, m4ths.
Original post by zNutty
Hey, just stopping by to tell you I got 100 in C1, C3 and C4. Just as a middle finger really for your previous joke. :biggrin:

Well done!
Original post by zNutty

And thanks a lot for all the help, m4ths.

Would you mind telling us how?
Was is m4ths and those books?

Quick Reply

Latest