The Student Room Group

UMS mark edexcel

My edexcel paper is for 80 mark but for grades they use the UMS mark of 120.
Can anyone tell the difference? Like some of yall said raw is the original mark then howcome even the past papers to practice from is for 80 marks.
I would be thankful if anyone can guide me how to score for good grades..
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by eba20
My edexcel paper is for 80 mark but for grades they use the UMS mark of 120.
Can anyone tell the difference? Like some of yall said raw is the original mark then howcome even the past papers to practice from is for 80 marks.
I would be thankful if anyone can guide me how to score for good grades..

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/results-certification/understanding-marks-and-grades/converting-marks-points-and-grades.html
Reply 2
Sorry but i still don’t understand UMS marking..
If a paper is for 80 then what is the 120 score for?
Likee how should i study to achieve high marks out of 120?
Reply 3
Sorry but i still don’t understand the UMS marking..
If the paper is for 80 marks then how are they checking and giving importance to the score of 120..
Original post by eba20
Sorry but i still don’t understand the UMS marking..
If the paper is for 80 marks then how are they checking and giving importance to the score of 120..
You don't need to understand it . If a paper is out of 80, that is the maximum you can get, 120 is not an actually score. UMS It is just a method for Exam boards to ensure Grades are consistently applied each year (for example in one year 70 out of 80 could be an A, whereas in other years 65 out of 80 could be an A. Its just a way of adjusting / applying grade boundaries.

'To make sure that any differences in the difficulty of exams or assessments are taken into account when adding up your marks to give an overall grade, we convert the ‘raw’ or exam paper mark into a UMS mark.
UMS grade boundaries are fixed so they are the same for each exam session. Raw mark grade boundaries may change for each exam session.
The raw mark is never shown on your results slip, so students will either see a UMS mark, a points score or no numerical mark at all'.
Reply 5
Original post by bamtutor
You don't need to understand it . If a paper is out of 80, that is the maximum you can get, 120 is not an actually score. UMS It is just a method for Exam boards to ensure Grades are consistently applied each year (for example in one year 70 out of 80 could be an A, whereas in other years 65 out of 80 could be an A. Its just a way of adjusting / applying grade boundaries.
'To make sure that any differences in the difficulty of exams or assessments are taken into account when adding up your marks to give an overall grade, we convert the ‘raw’ or exam paper mark into a UMS mark.
UMS grade boundaries are fixed so they are the same for each exam session. Raw mark grade boundaries may change for each exam session.
The raw mark is never shown on your results slip, so students will either see a UMS mark, a points score or no numerical mark at all'.
Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest