The Student Room Group

You seen how disgusting an autopsy is before?

Scroll to see replies

What OP described does not sound like a post-mortem examination. Organs and tissue are removed methodically, sometimes it may take brute force to get to certain parts but unless the body was already in a state of serious decomposition then it's a pretty clean procedure as the blood isn't flowing and you can optimise containment of things like faeces and urine. Organs are held together after weighing, inspection and removal of specimens and sure they don't go back like a puzzle but it looks presentable once stitched up. Mortuary technicians are incredibly skilled, if they were messy or blasé about any element of their work it would comprimise what the pathologist could do with the evidence.

Possibly OP saw an anatomy demonstration where the body is fully dissected to explore all the structures for educational purposes rather than determining a cause of death? The demonstrator may go through cause of death, pointing out the pathology but the point of the process is to learn anatomy. Taking a body down to the bones would be overkill for a suspected OD, they could blood test for that and the body wouldn't be examined beyond that unless it was suspicious. But for an anatomy demonstration of course it's not. The deceased and their family would have consented.

Go to the Hunterian for examples of extreme dissection without witnessing the process, they have plasticised specimens where everything was cut away from the nerves, seriously impressive work. I am assuming OP is a student and should have been advised about the nature of the demonstration by their tutor beforehand and possibly debriefed if they are struggling to process what they saw as anything beyond disgusting. I would advise OP to talk to the anatomist/technician if possible, ask them why so much was done to the body that you deem inappropriate.
Original post by TheGreatPonderer
Got some experience in a pathology lab before coming to med school and saw some. I thought it was pretty cool tbh

We are lucky enough (depending on your view) to work with whole cadavers so will be seeing a whole lot more dead bodies in the future!

The most interesting thing I think I saw is coagulated plasma in a guy's arm from a leaked IV.

Sickening
Original post by morethanafeeling
Sickening

Why? It's no different to examining a dead fish's gills, a frog's eye or lambs lung.
Why? It's no different to examining a dead fish's gills, a frog's eye or lambs lung.

how very human of you
how very human of you

So because the corps is of your species you should be grossed out? Why?

If death still freaks you out then you need to realise that there's nothing to be scared of. we're just a bag of chemical reactions.

Dissections and autopsies help us save lives by better understanding physiological processes. Human lives. That is the essence of humanity, over-rated or not.
(edited 10 years ago)
So because the corps is of your species you should be grossed out? Why?

If death still freaks you out then you need to realise that there's nothing to be scared of. we're just a bag of chemical reactions.

Dissections and autopsies help us save lives by better understand physiological processes. Human lives. That is the essence of humanity, over-rated or not.

What the hell are you talking about being grossed out for? Stop making ridiculous assumptions.

If you think we're just a bag of chemical reactions, you're dumb.
What the hell are you talking about being grossed out for? Stop making ridiculous assumptions.

If you think we're just a bag of chemical reactions, you're dumb.

You said how disgusting autopsies are in the OP. Being 'grossed out' is synonymous with this. Is it really a ridiculous assumption?

I'd like for you to expand on that last part. Your argument has been nothing but conjecture and rhetoric so far as well as insults towards me for having a different opinion to you. So far, I think many would find your comments ironic.
You said how disgusting autopsies are in the OP. Being 'grossed out' is synonymous with this. Is it really a ridiculous assumption?

I'd like for you to expand on that last part. Your argument has been nothing but conjecture and rhetoric so far as well as insults towards me for having a different opinion to you. So far, I think many would find your comments ironic.

You have absolutely zero compassion or understanding of humanity. In YOUR OPINION, being "grossed out" (you used the wrong ", you used ') is synonymous with that. But you have no compassion or understand of humanity, therefore, your opinion is invalid.

you probably believe computers can become conscious, too
You have absolutely zero compassion or understanding of humanity. In YOUR OPINION, being "grossed out" (you used the wrong ", you used ') is synonymous with that. But you have no compassion or understand of humanity, therefore, your opinion is invalid.

Being a medical student, I'd like to think I have plenty of compassion... just not for dead things.
Compassion is said to be "sympathetic pity and concern for the sufferings or misfortunes of others" which I certainly have. If somebody is upset or hurt then of course I'll be concerned. I'm not sure what you're driving at. Are you implying that you should feel sorry for and 'respect' dead bodies? Why? They are now lifeless. I respect the living, not the dead.

Also, I didn't use the "wrong" ones at all. I could of quoted but I didn't need to. You use the inverted commas to make the subject easier to establish.

you probably believe computers can become conscious, too

Absolutely not.

Can you stop with the insults and actually give a proper reasoned argument? I'm not asking for much, surely.
Being a medical student, I'd like to think I have plenty of compassion... just not for dead things.
Compassion is said to be "sympathetic pity and concern for the sufferings or misfortunes of others" which I certainly have. If somebody is upset or hurt then of course I'll be concerned. I'm not sure what you're driving at. Are you implying that you should feel sorry for and 'respect' dead bodies? Why? They are now lifeless. I respect the living, not the dead.

Also, I didn't use the "wrong" ones at all. I could of quoted but I didn't need to. You use the inverted commas to make the subject easier to establish.

Absolutely not.

Can you stop with the insults and actually give a proper reasoned argument? I'm not asking for much, surely.
You just said you had no respect for the dead. Are you working in the medical field? If so, I suggest you just quit as you have no compassion. Compassion is MUCH, MUCH more than that little dictionary definition you just quoted. You understand nothing about life.
You just said you had no respect for the dead. Are you working in the medical field? If so, I suggest you just quit as you have no compassion. Compassion is MUCH, MUCH more than that little dictionary definition you just quoted. You understand nothing about life.

Give me a reason for why it's wrong to not respect the dead.

EDIT: Also, how old are you? 17?
(edited 10 years ago)
Give me a reason for why it's wrong to not respect the dead.

EDIT: Also, how old are you? 17?

Wow. You should not be allowed to work in any medical field.
Wow. You should not be allowed to work in any medical field.

You are not presenting any arguments. I'm done here.
You are not presenting any arguments. I'm done here.

You have no compassion for the dead.
You have no compassion for the dead.

Out of interest, do you eat meat?
Out of interest, do you eat meat?

Totally, totally different matter entirely. The fact that you would actually find this a viable thing to talk about whilst in this discussion just shows your level of intelligence.
Totally, totally different matter entirely. The fact that you would actually find this a viable thing to talk about whilst in this discussion just shows your level of intelligence.

I just said it was out of interest. I was trying to gauge whether it was respect just for the human dead that you were getting at or all dead things. It's not that ridiculous really is it?

I still haven't heard an argument for what compassion for the dead actually means or why you think it's important. If you could do either of those things then I'd appreciate it because I'm not actually sure what's offending you about my comments apart from the actual fact that I've disagreed with you. Please, give me some actual reasoned answers.
Might not be a pleasant process, but it's necessary for finding causes of death, contributing factors etc. If you have a problem with it, get over it.
Original post by Angryification
Might not be a pleasant process, but it's necessary for finding causes of death, contributing factors etc. If you have a problem with it, get over it.

Have respect.

Quick Reply

Latest