The Student Room Group

unhappy with gcse results

this one's kinda stupid because i didnt even do badly lol, but i just cant get past this toxic mindset.
i got my results back and i achieved one 9, four 8s, one 7, two 6s and a BLOODY 5.
Ive never gotten a 5 before, but it was for ocr computer science which genuinely was the most disgusting paper ive ever sat.
Im pretty happy with most of my results, the 6s and 5 are just eating away at me. I feel so disappointed in myself its debilitating. Like everyone's so proud of me which is super kind but i just feel so underwhelmed and annoyed at myself. I was predicted mostly 9s. I came out with one 9. And a 5. It just feels so weird, everything I do now I just feel like i dont deserve it and that im stupid. and its so annoying because now these grades are mine for the rest of my life, and theyre way under what i could have achieved. i know i wont care about them in a year, but the self hatred and disgust is getting a lot.
Breathe. Sleep. ((HUG))
Reply 2
It's true that you may get over it in a year, but I can understand your frustration now. I recently took a module on Educational Sociology and there are people who argue that exam results are not a reflection on the student but on the teacher, exam board and the ministry of education collectively. Idk that makes me feel better sometimes. I am just one person who is navigating the big machine and somehow all the blame is still on me. It's unfair!!

You still have a lot more in store and I'm sure you can keep improving. All the best !
Original post by jlee22
this one's kinda stupid because i didnt even do badly lol, but i just cant get past this toxic mindset.
i got my results back and i achieved one 9, four 8s, one 7, two 6s and a BLOODY 5.
Ive never gotten a 5 before, but it was for ocr computer science which genuinely was the most disgusting paper ive ever sat.
Im pretty happy with most of my results, the 6s and 5 are just eating away at me. I feel so disappointed in myself its debilitating. Like everyone's so proud of me which is super kind but i just feel so underwhelmed and annoyed at myself. I was predicted mostly 9s. I came out with one 9. And a 5. It just feels so weird, everything I do now I just feel like i dont deserve it and that im stupid. and its so annoying because now these grades are mine for the rest of my life, and theyre way under what i could have achieved. i know i wont care about them in a year, but the self hatred and disgust is getting a lot.

You’ve said yourself it wasn’t an easy paper. Given that and how much stronger the rest of your results are compared to the national average, it’s pretty clear you are not stupid.

Bear in mind that the proportions of people getting 7’s, 8’s and 9’s has fallen immensely this year compared to 2022, because grading is returning to normal. As such, getting mostly 9’s is much harder than it has been previously.

Another thing to consider is that once you get to the stage when you are applying for universities, 8’s and 9’s are seen as equivalent. As such, your grades are still very good, as over half of them are at that sort of level.
Reply 4
Original post by Missy Martian
Breathe. Sleep. ((HUG))

aw, thanks (:

Quick Reply

Latest