The Student Room Group

Financial Mathematics vs Management

I currently hold offers for both MSc Financial Mathematics at Leeds, and MSc Management (also at Leeds). I currently study physics, and am currently leaning towards the financial mathematics course.

However, some people I know reckon that Financial Mathematics is either a useless masters, won't add value to my BSc in Physics, or that the careers it's suitable towards are unbelievably competitive, so my lack of relevant would experience would hinder me too much.

On the other hand, I might do less well in management, since it doesn't play to my current quantitative strengths.

I currently plan to either become an actuary or a management consultant, depending on which course I do. I don't overly mind which one, since both careers appeal to me.

My question is, which masters will take me further / give me a better leg up?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by tlholme
I currently hold offers for both MSc Financial Mathematics at Leeds, and MSc Management (also at Leeds). I currently study physics, and am currently leaning towards the financial mathematics course.

However, some people I know reckon that Financial Mathematics is either a useless masters, won't add value to my BSc in Physics, or that the careers it's suitable towards are unbelievably competitive, so my lack of relevant would experience would hinder me too much.

On the other hand, I might do less well in management, since it doesn't play to my current quantitative strengths.

I currently plan to either become an actuary or a management consultant, depending on which course I do. I don't overly mind which one, since both careers appeal to me.

My question is, which masters will take me further / give me a better leg up?

Thanks

Why are your doing the MSc in the first place? Neither career you're seeking to enter requires one, and you can get into either career with a BSc Physics degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending