The Student Room Group

Warwick vs UCL vs LSE for a career in private equity/ quant/ acturial science

I love statistics (pure maths not so much) and I want a career in private equity/ quant/ actuarial science.

1. I have an offer from Warwick BSc Maths and Stats; should I stay on the Maths and Stats course or should I move to MMORSE in the second year?

2. I also have an offer for UCL BSc Maths with Statistical Science; which is better, Warwick M+S/MMORSE vs UCL M+S?

3. Warwick M+S/MMORSE vs LSE BSc Financial Maths and Stats?

4. If I do get an offer from LSE FM+S, could I change to Mathematical Econ and Econometrics or would they not allow that?
Choose LSE without question. Ignoring the prestige of the university (which is already very high), the amount of extracurricular opportunities at LSE is unrivalled. Doesn't matter what subject you do. As long as you get some maths in there.
Reply 2
Original post by anonuser99
Choose LSE without question. Ignoring the prestige of the university (which is already very high), the amount of extracurricular opportunities at LSE is unrivalled. Doesn't matter what subject you do. As long as you get some maths in there.

The LSE Financial Maths and Statistics course isn't what I'd like. I love statistics, but LSE's course is extremely detailed for finance and those skills could be learnt on the job as I feel employers may prefer a wider knowledge of mathematics and statistics.
That being said, I would hope to move into Mathematical Econ and Econometrics from second year, but I'm not sure if that is possible.
Overall I'm still struggling in weighing up the prestige and location of London unis such as UCL and LSE against the far better course and teaching at Warwick.
Original post by thunga
The LSE Financial Maths and Statistics course isn't what I'd like. I love statistics, but LSE's course is extremely detailed for finance and those skills could be learnt on the job as I feel employers may prefer a wider knowledge of mathematics and statistics.
That being said, I would hope to move into Mathematical Econ and Econometrics from second year, but I'm not sure if that is possible.
Overall I'm still struggling in weighing up the prestige and location of London unis such as UCL and LSE against the far better course and teaching at Warwick.

Hmm, Warwick is still a target, so if the difference is that great to you and you think you'll thrive more there, go to Warwick.
Reply 4
Original post by anonuser99
Hmm, Warwick is still a target, so if the difference is that great to you and you think you'll thrive more there, go to Warwick.

I think it depends on whether I want to take MORSE or not (in which Warwick is the only uni out of my choices to offer it) and more importantly, if I want to go down an academia route or a career-focused route.
I think with academia like a Masters or PhD, a degree at Warwick would be immensely better. However, if I wanted to do something strictly financial after, LSE and UCL would set me up with all the necessary networking and London based events.
But I can't decide whether which route to go down, as it depends on how I feel after I finish my degree, in which case by then it'd be too late.
Reply 5
Original post by thunga
I think it depends on whether I want to take MORSE or not (in which Warwick is the only uni out of my choices to offer it) and more importantly, if I want to go down an academia route or a career-focused route.
I think with academia like a Masters or PhD, a degree at Warwick would be immensely better. However, if I wanted to do something strictly financial after, LSE and UCL would set me up with all the necessary networking and London based events.
But I can't decide whether which route to go down, as it depends on how I feel after I finish my degree, in which case by then it'd be too late.

hi! what did you choose cuz I got in the pretty same problem.
Warwick account&finance VS ucl finance,econs&stats VS lse Finance
actually lse does not send me to offer yet, but I'm struggling in choosing Warwick or UCL :frown:
Original post by thunga

Networking doesn’t really achieve much in the UK as we don’t do CV pushing/referrals unlike the states. Being physically in London isn’t going to benefit you as applications are online. Also actuarial science, quant and private equity are all way too wide ranging as careers. If you want to do PE you’ll probably first start off in IBD. For quant I’d say do MORSE, has a track record of getting people into good prop shops
Reply 7
Original post by do minh
hi! what did you choose cuz I got in the pretty same problem.
Warwick account&finance VS ucl finance,econs&stats VS lse Finance
actually lse does not send me to offer yet, but I'm struggling in choosing Warwick or UCL :frown:

hey there, ik it's been a while since youve posted this, but I was just curious what course did u end up choosing (as I want to apply to the same 3 and 2 others) and how much of your PS was dedicated to accounting/ econ etc. TY
Original post by thunga
I love statistics (pure maths not so much) and I want a career in private equity/ quant/ actuarial science.

1. I have an offer from Warwick BSc Maths and Stats; should I stay on the Maths and Stats course or should I move to MMORSE in the second year?

2. I also have an offer for UCL BSc Maths with Statistical Science; which is better, Warwick M+S/MMORSE vs UCL M+S?

4. If I do get an offer from LSE FM+S, could I change to Mathematical Econ and Econometrics or would they not allow that?

The concern is the preferred choices of IB. Many say LSE stands a better chance that. Warwick.
Original post by username4892364
The concern is the preferred choices of IB. Many say LSE stands a better chance that. Warwick.

2 years too late a reply
Original post by thunga
... I feel employers may prefer a wider knowledge of mathematics and statistics...

Why don't you ask them?
Contact a few HR departments and set it out for them. Hello, I need your help. Are you more likely to recruit applicants with X from the Uni of Y, or with A from B or C??
Many firms have grad profiles on their website so you can see who they take on.
If you can find some online profiles of people doing the jobs, then they will often say what degree and from where - use LinkedIn for this.
Reply 11
Original post by thunga

ucl is 9th globally, lse is 45th and warwick is 67th. keep that in mind!
Original post by thunga
Each program offers unique strengths. Consider your interests and career goals. Warwick's MMORSE integrates maths with economics, suitable for finance. UCL focuses more on statistical science. LSE's Financial Maths is prestigious for quant roles. Research curriculum, faculty, and alumni paths to make an informed decision.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending