The Student Room Group

Uni of Bristol vs Manchester (Mathematics)

Hello! I was wondering if anyone who goes to these unis could give me insight on what it's like studying a science, even better if it's mathematics.

I have an offer from both these unis for G100.

However I am conflicted between which one to pick.

Bristols modules seem to have more variation although year 1 in both are practically identical.

Their reputation are pretty similar? I know Manchester has a better international reputation but Bristol has a better mathematics reputation. If you know anything about this too it would be useful. (Job prospects and such)

Accommodation at Bristol seems to look better for the similar price.

Manchester is a lot closer to me which means I get to visit home more frequently but this isn't too much of an issue.

In particular, it seems i'm really 45/55 with my 5% going towards Bristol for accomodation (since I'll spend most of my time there) and the fact they have a much wider choice of modules.

Any feedback or insight would be useful, thanks.
Reply 1
Hey. I'm currently at Bristol right now and I love it! I study chemistry but I know a couple people doing maths and they really enjoy it too. If accomodation is looking like a deciding factor - then it is worth considering the price of 2nd/3rd year housing. The housing crisis in bristol is crazy right now, it is very expensive and if you are wanting to be close to university next year you will probs be looking at spending 9 grand on accomodation (is probs going to go up to unfortunatley). I just thought it would be worth mentioning as if accomodation is what is swaying your descision, it is worth thinking ahead to second/third year and not only first year. Housing crisis aside- Bristol is such an awesome city! Everyone is lovely and its big enough its not boring, but small enough not to be overwhelming. If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer
Reply 2
I am studying Maths at Bristol and I am really enjoying it. In terms of worldwide ranking - Bristol is 55 and Manchester is 51 - so not much difference. Internationally, they are on par I would say. In terms of how it is viewed by employers - they are similar as well. Those in the Maths arena know Bristol is better. The course is great. I would say some parts are easier than I thought it would be but not all of it! Overall, there is a lot of homework compared to A Levels - but that is probably the same whichever uni. One thing that surprised me was I thought initially all my lectures would be in the Maths building but in reality they are all over the place in different departments - which is both good and bad.

But going back to your question. What is funny is I had Manchester down as well, but decided to go for Bristol because it was nearer to home. If having easy access to home is important, then it is a no brainer - Manchester. I went home once during reading week which was great. I am glad I was only 2 - 3 hours away, if it had been much further, I may not have gone home. I really needed to just be home after a few weeks and it was nice to go home and decompress.

In terms of life - Bristol is a fantastic city to live in. There are so many societies as well. I have been to Manchester before and both are great cities in general. I agree with the lasanya above - accommodation is expensive. I got in as an insurance choice(Warwick was my first), so it was a lottery to get accommodation, but got fantastic catered halls - and yes it is £8k-9k a year for this year (though food is included) and I have already secured next years accommodation with 4 others ( you have to do it early in Bristol!) at just under £9k for the year which doesn't include bills. I think Manchester is also expensive, but Bristol is a tad pricier. It is expensive, and most students I know are like me, relying on parents. I know I am blessed in that respect. If you have the financial support then go for it. Without parental support and relying solely on maintenance grant - I would avoid both Manchester and Bristol and go somewhere cheaper altogether!

Good luck.
Reply 3
Original post by Amonra
I am studying Maths at Bristol and I am really enjoying it. In terms of worldwide ranking - Bristol is 55 and Manchester is 51 - so not much difference. Internationally, they are on par I would say. In terms of how it is viewed by employers - they are similar as well. Those in the Maths arena know Bristol is better. The course is great. I would say some parts are easier than I thought it would be but not all of it! Overall, there is a lot of homework compared to A Levels - but that is probably the same whichever uni. One thing that surprised me was I thought initially all my lectures would be in the Maths building but in reality they are all over the place in different departments - which is both good and bad.

But going back to your question. What is funny is I had Manchester down as well, but decided to go for Bristol because it was nearer to home. If having easy access to home is important, then it is a no brainer - Manchester. I went home once during reading week which was great. I am glad I was only 2 - 3 hours away, if it had been much further, I may not have gone home. I really needed to just be home after a few weeks and it was nice to go home and decompress.

In terms of life - Bristol is a fantastic city to live in. There are so many societies as well. I have been to Manchester before and both are great cities in general. I agree with the lasanya above - accommodation is expensive. I got in as an insurance choice(Warwick was my first), so it was a lottery to get accommodation, but got fantastic catered halls - and yes it is £8k-9k a year for this year (though food is included) and I have already secured next years accommodation with 4 others ( you have to do it early in Bristol!) at just under £9k for the year which doesn't include bills. I think Manchester is also expensive, but Bristol is a tad pricier. It is expensive, and most students I know are like me, relying on parents. I know I am blessed in that respect. If you have the financial support then go for it. Without parental support and relying solely on maintenance grant - I would avoid both Manchester and Bristol and go somewhere cheaper altogether!

Good luck.

Thanks for the insight, since you study the course directly, might aswell also ask if you were to go back in the year what would you think about differently going into maths? Was it harder or easier than expected or just different?
Reply 4
One thing I would change is my own time management as the volume of homework was the shocker. I am a 'leave it to the last minute' kind of person, but the assessments and homework pile up really quickly and they can be big. I didn't manage very well in the first half of the term and ended up pulling an all-nighter as I totally underestimated the homework. In terms of the course, it has been very slightly easier than I thought it was going to be, but I know it will get harder and harder. The tutors are really good though, so I know if I have questions, there is someone to ask.
Reply 5
Original post by Amonra
One thing I would change is my own time management as the volume of homework was the shocker. I am a 'leave it to the last minute' kind of person, but the assessments and homework pile up really quickly and they can be big. I didn't manage very well in the first half of the term and ended up pulling an all-nighter as I totally underestimated the homework. In terms of the course, it has been very slightly easier than I thought it was going to be, but I know it will get harder and harder. The tutors are really good though, so I know if I have questions, there is someone to ask.

If you also don't mind, did you do any admission tests i.e MAT/STEP, assuming since WW you mightve prepared for STEP? If you did how useful was this practise? Feels like I'll be very disadvantaged going into a maths degree without these likewise preparations.

Quick Reply

Latest