The Student Room Group

Stealing YOUR OWN stuff from shops

What would be the implications?

Say you went into a supermarket, with a bottle of vodka, proof you'd paid for it, like a receipt and put a distinguishable marking on the item, so there can be no doubt it's yours, placed it onto the shelf, then proceed to what would blatantly appear to others commit a theft, by stuffing it into your jumper or down your trousers and then doing a runner.

Even if they called the police, surely no crime would have been committed that you could be charged with?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Probably nothing.

The fact that you posted this suggests you have enough time to try it out yourself. I say go for it.
Try it and then let us know how it went :smile:
I'd arrest you for being a ****er.
Original post by 122025278

Say you went into a supermarket, with a bottle of vodka, proof you'd paid for it, like a receipt and put a distinguishable marking on the item, so there can be no doubt it's yours, placed it onto the shelf, then proceed to what would blatantly appear to others commit a theft, by stuffing it into your jumper or down your trousers and then doing a runner.

Even if they called the police, surely no crime would have been committed that you could be charged with?

Maybe wasting police time? It would be fairly obvious to you before you committed the "theft" that they would get involved, and it would certainly be a waste of their time.
Reply 5
The shop would just ban you.
Legally nothing, might get you banned from the shop though (people have been banned from shops for pranking), so make sure it's not a shop you're likely to visit again. Just go for it and let us know what happens :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by Swanbow
The shop would just ban you.

dont discourage him, try it OP
Reply 8
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Maybe wasting police time? It would be fairly obvious to you before you committed the "theft" that they would get involved, and it would certainly be a waste of their time.

That's a question of law. Can someone be committing the offence of Wasting Police Time, without them contacting the police? Absolutely not, that isn't what the offence was intended for. Further, if they can commit it without themselves contacting the police, surely the threshold would not be that a person could reasonably think the police could get involved. If I have a bonfire, play loud music or drive "fast", someone could complain to the police, leading to them getting involved, but I'm not doing anything illegal.

Also, we could then charge people, even those acquitted of a crime, with Wasting Police Time, simply because nothing came of the prosecution and therefore it's deemed a "waste".
Reply 9
1. Wasting police time.
2. deception with intent to get caught
3. if you got caught doing this the shop would porbably never trust you and you may be banned for carrying out such a stunt
I really feel like I need to come in here and say that in all the time I've been reading pathetic threads on The Student Room, for some reason, despite not being morally questionable, extremely racist, ridiculously naive, or pompously ignorant, it's actually the stupidest, most face-palm inducing thread I've ever seen. Thanks?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
That's a question of law. Can someone be committing the offence of Wasting Police Time, without them contacting the police? Absolutely not, that isn't what the offence was intended for. Further, if they can commit it without themselves contacting the police, surely the threshold would not be that a person could reasonably think the police could get involved.

I'm no lawyer. But I think that deliberately behaving in such a suspicious manner in plain view for no good reason might well be accepted in court as evidence that police intervention was indeed the intention.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's a question of law. Can someone be committing the offence of Wasting Police Time, without them contacting the police? Absolutely not, that isn't what the offence was intended for.

Yes they can:-

Section 5 (2) Criminal Law Act 1967

Where a person causes any wasteful employment of the police by knowingly making to any person a false report tending to show that an offence has been committed, or to give rise to apprehension for the safety of any persons or property, or tending to show that he has information material to any police inquiry, he shall be liable on summary conviction to imprisonment for not more than six months or to a fine of not more than two hundred pounds or to both.

The reason the offence is not committed here is because the prankster has given no false report to any person (not just a policeman)
I seem to remember a case where a guy was done for stealing his own car from the garage where it was being repaired but can't find it on Halsbury's so forget why it was decided as such.
Original post by Le Nombre
I seem to remember a case where a guy was done for stealing his own car from the garage where it was being repaired but can't find it on Halsbury's so forget why it was decided as such.

I think it was R v Turner and ruled that way because the car was deemed to belong to the service station because they were in possession and control of the car.

It's unlikely you'd be charged and even less likely convicted, but they'd still have probable cause to arrest you until they verified that it was yours.
Original post by Cutmeloose
I think it was R v Turner and ruled that way because the car was deemed to belong to the service station because they were in possession and control of the car.

R v Turner (No 2) [1971] 1 WLR 901.

The defendant removed his car from outside the garage at which it had been repaired, intending to avoid having to pay for the repair.

Read more: Cases on Theft | Criminal Law Cases | Law Teacher http://www.lawteacher.net/criminal-law/cases/theft-cases.php#ixzz2ywPT66Mt
Follow us: @lawteachernet on Twitter | LawTeacherNet on Facebook
Original post by Cutmeloose

Thanks, yeah 1971, though the jury were directed that if he honestly believed he had a right to take it then no MR, obviously, so that may factor into the hypothetical vodka robbing.

Also, apparently that case was positively cited in the 'Smith', the drug robbery case, only 3 years ago!
There is scope here for a charge relating to putting the item on the shelf. Placing possibly tampered / poisoned or any other type of consumable goods in a shop is bound to be an offence.
Reply 19
Security would catch you and detain you, police would probably be called regardless. So at the very least you'd probably have a long wait in a room with a couple of security chaps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending