The Student Room Group

French a level

How do you revise French for as? I have no clue and am scared of failing

Scroll to see replies

Speak french! watch french films, read french magazines, whatever
Reply 2
Original post by blondebiscuit
How do you revise French for as? I have no clue and am scared of failing

I'm currently studying for my A2 French exam which is three weeks away (God help me) and I am also resitting my AS paper.

After being predicted an 'A' at AS level and ending up with a C, my advice to you would be do not get complacent nor lazy.
After getting an 'A*' at GCSE I flew threw AS level thinking it was a doddle to find out that doing absolutely no revision does not work the way it used to at GCSE.
To revise, I recommend watching lots of french films and/or listening to french music whenever you can. I actually enjoy watching and listening to foreign films and music so it was easier for me. I know it sounds stupid - but it really helps. Honestly!

As for grammar (which is my downfall) you're gonna need to know every tense inside out and all the jargon in between. Do whatever works for you to get it into your head - I learn off rhymes to remember past participles. :teehee: And for tenses, for example, I take an A4 page for each tense and make colourful spider diagrams and other types of memorizing strategies and read over them whenever I need to.

My revision tips may not work for you, but they are just a suggestion :smile: my best advice for you would be to treat this subject as seriously as your others... don't be an idiot like I was - because now I have extra resits this summer!

Good luck with your exams :awesome:
Reply 3
Original post by HNSE
I'm currently studying for my A2 French exam which is three weeks away (God help me) and I am also resitting my AS paper.

After being predicted an 'A' at AS level and ending up with a C, my advice to you would be do not get complacent nor lazy.
After getting an 'A*' at GCSE I flew threw AS level thinking it was a doddle to find out that doing absolutely no revision does not work the way it used to at GCSE.
To revise, I recommend watching lots of french films and/or listening to french music whenever you can. I actually enjoy watching and listening to foreign films and music so it was easier for me. I know it sounds stupid - but it really helps. Honestly!

As for grammar (which is my downfall) you're gonna need to know every tense inside out and all the jargon in between. Do whatever works for you to get it into your head - I learn off rhymes to remember past participles. :teehee: And for tenses, for example, I take an A4 page for each tense and make colourful spider diagrams and other types of memorizing strategies and read over them whenever I need to.

My revision tips may not work for you, but they are just a suggestion :smile: my best advice for you would be to treat this subject as seriously as your others... don't be an idiot like I was - because now I have extra resits this summer!

Good luck with your exams :awesome:

This. I'm also an A2 student resitting the AS exam after getting an annoyingly high C when I was predicted a B, but I cannot stress enough how important it is not to get lazy. I find that reading articles on French news websites is helpful, as is watching news programmes. France 2 has a really useful 'JT' section which is basically the day's news stories summed up in a couple of minutes. Bonne chance!
Reply 4
Is anyone doing WJEC?
I think you've all got really good revision techniques :smile: Which exam boards are guys you doing? On Edexcel, the AS paper was sooo random haha (we had a listening question about cooking and the use of woks, and also about a folk festival in Luxembourg...) I'm doing A2 now (I got an A in AS).

I would just emphasise the importance of not getting lazy with your grammar and things, as if you continue into A2 then you'll need to know these inside out; I don't think we've done any grammar all year. I bombarded my iTunes with foreign music that I'd heard on the radio or I just did a bit of research about which music is common in France etc. Literally half my iPod is dedicated to music in French, there's no escaping it! Foreign films are also fab because you can challenge yourself sometimes to see if you can watch them without subtitles. It's also good to have them on in the background, just for listening practice. I listened to the news on websites such as tf1.fr and read Le Parisien every single day. What also helps sometimes is to find articles and print them off and then go through them, highlighting anything you don't understand. This is a great way of finding idioms and different structures to use in your essays :-)

Hope this helped a little bit!
Reply 6
Original post by chloevictoria
I think you've all got really good revision techniques :smile: Which exam boards are guys you doing? On Edexcel, the AS paper was sooo random haha (we had a listening question about cooking and the use of woks, and also about a folk festival in Luxembourg...) I'm doing A2 now (I got an A in AS).

I would just emphasise the importance of not getting lazy with your grammar and things, as if you continue into A2 then you'll need to know these inside out; I don't think we've done any grammar all year. I bombarded my iTunes with foreign music that I'd heard on the radio or I just did a bit of research about which music is common in France etc. Literally half my iPod is dedicated to music in French, there's no escaping it! Foreign films are also fab because you can challenge yourself sometimes to see if you can watch them without subtitles. It's also good to have them on in the background, just for listening practice. I listened to the news on websites such as tf1.fr and read Le Parisien every single day. What also helps sometimes is to find articles and print them off and then go through them, highlighting anything you don't understand. This is a great way of finding idioms and different structures to use in your essays :-)

Hope this helped a little bit!

I'm on AQA :smile: that's a really good idea about all the music! Which artists do you listen to? I've tried listening to French radio stations but most of the music is English which is a pain:frown:
Original post by sammyruse
I'm on AQA :smile: that's a really good idea about all the music! Which artists do you listen to? I've tried listening to French radio stations but most of the music is English which is a pain:frown:

Stromae is a personal favourite :smile:

Others that are lurking on iTunes include:
-Maitre Gims
-Christophe Maé
-Kyo
-Joyce Jonathan
-Indila
-Sophie Delila
-ZAZ
-Carla Bruni
-Gary Fico (shameful):colondollar:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by HNSE

Je révise pas... Et j'ai pas l'intention de le faire parce que c'est facile. Mais maintenant, je m'inquiète à cause de ce que tu as dit...

Je parle le français avec les autres personnes ici!

Mais AS est trop ennuyeux, et les dissertations sont très petites... Seulement 250 mots.

Bien que je sache que je devrais reviser, je ne veux pas :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Je révise pas... Et j'ai pas l'intention de le faire parce que c'est facile. Mais maintenant, je m'inquiète à cause de ce que tu as dit...

Je parle le français avec les autres personnes ici!

Mais AS est trop ennuyeux, et les dissertations sont très petites... Seulement 250 mots.

Bien que je sache que je devrais reviser, je ne veux pas :frown:

J’aurais pensé que tu aimes étudier le français si tu veux le parler :smile:

L’AS français me plaît mieux que les autres matières parce que je peux lire ce que je veux. Mais j’ai entendu que certaines personnes qui peuvent naturellement parler le français ont echoué l’examen parce qu’ils n’ont rien preparé, ce qui me fait peur. Je pense que l’examen exigera beaucoup de pratique.

Désolé si quelque chose est inexacte :frown:
Original post by Karoel
J’aurais pensé que tu aimes étudier le français si tu veux le parler :smile:

L’AS français me plaît mieux que les autres matières parce que je peux lire ce que je veux. Mais j’ai entendu que certaines personnes qui peuvent naturellement parler le français ont echoué l’examen parce qu’ils n’ont rien preparé, ce qui me fait peur. Je pense que l’examen exigera beaucoup de pratique.

Désolé si quelque chose est inexacte :frown:

Non, j'aime le parler... Mais je déteste l'étudier.

Je suis pas d'accord, pour mes examens blancs, j'ai révisé pas, et j'ai eu 100% UMS pour eux. Ce qui la raison pour laquelle je suis paresseux maintenant :frown:
Reply 11
This is really helping! Thankyou :smile: In my French speaking mock I got a b which I was so happy with but it's the grammar, tenses and writing in French I really struggle with. Does anyone have any easy ways to get tenses into your head? Past participles will be the death of me
This is really helping! Thankyou :smile: In my French speaking mock I got a b which I was so happy with but it's the grammar, tenses and writing in French I really struggle with. Does anyone have any easy ways to get tenses into your head? Past participles will be the death of me

What do you find hard about them?

Past Participles:
-er into
-ir into -i
-re into -u

Then irregulars:
fait
été
eu
vu, bu, lu
pris, mis
Etc they just go in groups and sound right most of the time.
Reply 13
My French assistant sent me some stuff on future, conditional, imperfect and passé composé which I've found really helpful, I can send it to anyone if they'd like? Also for vocabulary there's a book called Mot A Mot which gives vocab on pretty much all the topics on the A level specifications :smile:

A 'B' grade is fab! :h:

I'm not really good with learning by rhyming things and making codes and stuff to help me revise..

but I found this quiz on irregular past participles really useful:
http://www.sporcle.com/games/tromer/french_past_part
Reply 15
A 'B' grade is fab! :h:

I'm not really good with learning by rhyming things and making codes and stuff to help me revise..

but I found this quiz on irregular past participles really useful:
http://www.sporcle.com/games/tromer/french_past_part

Thanks for that :biggrin:

Coudre and acquerir were surprisingly hard ;(
Reply 16
Stromae is a personal favourite :smile:

Others that are lurking on iTunes include:
-Maitre Gims
-Christophe Maé
-Kyo
-Joyce Jonathan
-Indila
-Sophie Delila
-ZAZ
-Carla Bruni
-Gary Fico (shameful):colondollar:

Thanks for the different artists! You can also have a listen to Amel Bent, Celine Dion or Garou :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by sammyruse
My French assistant sent me some stuff on future, conditional, imperfect and passé composé which I've found really helpful, I can send it to anyone if they'd like? Also for vocabulary there's a book called Mot A Mot which gives vocab on pretty much all the topics on the A level specifications :smile:

Could I have the grammar stuff? :biggrin: merci!
I'm also an A2 student redoing AS paper. I need revision tips too guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by crescendox
Could I have the grammar stuff? :biggrin: merci!

Could you link it to me too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending