The Student Room Group

A-levels for languages at Oxbridge

Hello! The only language I do at GCSE level is Spanish and over the last few years, I have developed a huge passion for it. It is by far my favourite subject and also by far my best. I want to do languages at university and I do want to at least try to go to Oxbridge to do that.

So, naturally I'm absolutely taking Spanish at A-level. However, I want to do French along with Spanish at uni (I want to teach French + Spanish) And for that I would need it as an A-Level. Is it too hard to start from scratch? The 6th form I'm going to also does German but I think French would be much more beneficial.

So, if I did take both French + Spanish, I wouldn't know what to take as a 3rd. Pretty much everyone who I've seen get into Oxbridge for languages took an English Literature A-Level and my 6th form says that it is highly advised to take it if you want to apply to Oxbridge for languages. My problem is that it's not my best subject and although I don't mind it, there are other subjects I like more. (Yes I am aware that there is literature in language A-Levels but it is a low enough amount for me to still enjoy it). So I don't know what I should do.

If I don't do English Lit, I would take History. I enjoy the subject much more and the grades I get are much better. Would I still have a shot at Oxbridge if I took it over English Lit?

Thanks!
Interesting post
Just a quick addition! My absolute dream would be French/Spanish/German but surely that would just be a horrendous decision across all aspects?
Reply 3
Original post by RanaLover123
Hello! The only language I do at GCSE level is Spanish and over the last few years, I have developed a huge passion for it. It is by far my favourite subject and also by far my best. I want to do languages at university and I do want to at least try to go to Oxbridge to do that.

So, naturally I'm absolutely taking Spanish at A-level. However, I want to do French along with Spanish at uni (I want to teach French + Spanish) And for that I would need it as an A-Level. Is it too hard to start from scratch? The 6th form I'm going to also does German but I think French would be much more beneficial.

So, if I did take both French + Spanish, I wouldn't know what to take as a 3rd. Pretty much everyone who I've seen get into Oxbridge for languages took an English Literature A-Level and my 6th form says that it is highly advised to take it if you want to apply to Oxbridge for languages. My problem is that it's not my best subject and although I don't mind it, there are other subjects I like more. (Yes I am aware that there is literature in language A-Levels but it is a low enough amount for me to still enjoy it). So I don't know what I should do.

If I don't do English Lit, I would take History. I enjoy the subject much more and the grades I get are much better. Would I still have a shot at Oxbridge if I took it over English Lit?

Thanks!

Hiya there are two languages courses you could possibly take for languages but since you seem to prefer to do history over english lit the history and modern language course seems to suit you more here is the link for more info https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/history-and-modern-languages
And the other one if you are interested aswell https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/modern-and-medieval-languages
hoped I helped xx
Reply 4
Just a quick addition! My absolute dream would be French/Spanish/German but surely that would just be a horrendous decision across all aspects?

well tbh its up to you and it seems possible!
Original post by Trickia
Hiya there are two languages courses you could possibly take for languages but since you seem to prefer to do history over english lit the history and modern language course seems to suit you more here is the link for more info https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/history-and-modern-languages
And the other one if you are interested aswell https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/modern-and-medieval-languages
hoped I helped xx

I've just looked at those courses now, if I didn't do French, then History+Spanish would probably be my back up plan if I did take it as an A-Level, which I don't think I can say about English. I would love to take all three languages but I'm worried that I'll be both completely locking myself into languages as well as really struggling if I haven't done 2 of them at GCSE. Thank you so much! :smile:

Yes I believe you do, for Oxford at least. For Cambridge I think I need French but not Spanish which is quite unfortunate
Reply 8
I've just looked at those courses now, if I didn't do French, then History+Spanish would probably be my back up plan if I did take it as an A-Level, which I don't think I can say about English. I would love to take all three languages but I'm worried that I'll be both completely locking myself into languages as well as really struggling if I haven't done 2 of them at GCSE. Thank you so much! :smile:

no problem!
Most other languages than French are available with an ab initio language at Oxford and Cambridge. It's probably more straightforward to do another language and then pick up French later through an SKE when you are training to be a teacher. I don't think doing an A-level in a language you haven't done a GCSE in is realistic whatsoever. The A-level course is designed assuming competence with the GCSE syllabus.

Note that if you don't enjoy English literature, you may not enjoy an Oxbridge (or at least, Oxford) language degree that much. They are I gather largely degrees in literature, except the language of the texts happens to be whatever target language(s) you are studying. Something to consider. Other languages degrees may be somewhat more varied in their emphases.
Original post by artful_lounger
Most other languages than French are available with an ab initio language at Oxford and Cambridge. It's probably more straightforward to do another language and then pick up French later through an SKE when you are training to be a teacher. I don't think doing an A-level in a language you haven't done a GCSE in is realistic whatsoever. The A-level course is designed assuming competence with the GCSE syllabus.

Note that if you don't enjoy English literature, you may not enjoy an Oxbridge (or at least, Oxford) language degree that much. They are I gather largely degrees in literature, except the language of the texts happens to be whatever target language(s) you are studying. Something to consider. Other languages degrees may be somewhat more varied in their emphases.

Yeah.

Surrey seems to be less literature based, have no idea when it comes to other universities though.
Yes I believe you do, for Oxford at least. For Cambridge I think I need French but not Spanish which is quite unfortunate

What's unfortunate? The fact that you need A-level Spanish for Oxford or the fact that you don't need A-level Spanish for Cambridge?

In regards to A-Levels, I don't entirely know what I would take aside from French. Obviously Spanish/History/English Lit is an option but the main reason as to why I would take English Lit is to support French/Spanish so I am doubting English completely. I am willing to learn the GCSE French syllabus at home in order to have at least some background knowledge of the subject though. I just don't think I have much of an option besides French.

I did also speak to my Spanish teacher about this not too long ago and she said that I would find the French course ok and that I wouldn't struggle too much (This was about German but I'm assuming the difficulty won't differ a whole lot between the languages)

From what I know (Which isn't too much), the Cambridge course has less literature in it than Oxford which sounds a lot more appealing to me. Thanks! :smile:
Original post by Talkative Toad
What's unfortunate? The fact that you need A-level Spanish for Oxford or the fact that you don't need A-level Spanish for Cambridge?

That for Cambridge, If I knew French and not Spanish, I would meet the entry requirements but because I know Spanish and not French, I wouldn't hit the requirements
That for Cambridge, If I knew French and not Spanish, I would meet the entry requirements but because I know Spanish and not French, I wouldn't hit the requirements

Oh, I see.
Reply 15

Was thinking the same thing.
I did also speak to my Spanish teacher about this not too long ago and she said that I would find the French course ok and that I wouldn't struggle too much (This was about German but I'm assuming the difficulty won't differ a whole lot between the languages)

This is a huge assumption to make. They're actually quite different languages structurally! I would not assume any advice regarding German applies to French and vice versa. They aren't that closely related linguistically (being from separate branches of the IE language tree - Romance vs Germanic) and I gather French is rather notorious for being harder to pick up (although ironically from what I've heard, once you get to degree level and have gotten over the initial "hump", it's not as difficult as say, Spanish, which I've been told is easy enough to get started with but a lot harder to learn at the higher level when you get to degree level work in it).

But in any event, as noted unless you have a special interest in French literature or something, there's no particular impetus to do French at degree level. You don't need a French degree to teach French in schools - you just need to have done a languages degree and then demonstrate appropriate French language ability, which you can obtain (arguably more easily) after doing your degree. You could just as well do e.g. Spanish and Portuguese ab initio or Spanish and Italian ab initio.

Remember that a languages degree is not just a degree in language learning. Only about half of it is language learning (sometimes less!) and the rest of it will be learning about the history, culture, literature, etc of the countries speaking that target language, increasingly through texts in the target language. For just language proficiency purposes it's quite possible to develop proficiency in a language without doing a degree in it (you just may lack the broader academic-cultural awareness you would gain in a degree, but debatably that is of lesser important for teaching at school level?).

Quick Reply

Latest