The Student Room Group

I can't even get over how overrated Breaking Bad is

So the first two series I got through very very slowly, usually when I discover new series I get through them very quickly but I found it difficult to get into and boring. I only got through it because I was told it gets amazing but throughout the entire rest of the tv show I've been waiting for this point and it just hasn't happened. It has been a decent watch but far below my expectations.. hell there was one episode dedicated to swatting a fly..

Anyone agree? Game of Thrones is far superior.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Miracle Day
So the first two series I got through very very slowly, usually when I discover new series I get through them very quickly but I found it difficult to get into and boring. I only got through it because I was told it gets amazing but throughout the entire rest of the tv show I've been waiting for this point and it just hasn't happened. It has been a decent watch but far below my expectations.. hell there was one episode dedicated to swatting a fly..

No. It is by far the best tv series I have ever watched.

Can't comment other than your in the minority if you don't love Breaking Bad, meh each to their own.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're right that Game of Thrones is far superior, but they are different genres and Game of Thrones has much more characters and the story line that ties in all the characters is amazing.

I loved Breaking Bad, it was different, a new angle, an anti-hero that you couldn't help siding with. Maybe the show just isn't for you? I try not to compare different shows to each other, I've found several other shows that are far better than Breaking Bad, but that doesn't make Breaking Bad a bad show.
Reply 3
Just because you're not into it doesn't make it overrated :rolleyes:

The acting, the writing, the attention to detail and the cinematography are all objectively brilliant.
Reply 4
I agree about the first two seasons. Season 1 is just a prolonged pilot with the only thing sticking out being the acting, and season 2 was nothing special, that alone makes the show overrated to me. 3, 4 and 5 on the other hand are different gravy to those two seasons and I find it hard to be believe someone can;t appreciate how well done they are, maybe if you get around to it you'll find out.

In terms of preference as well it doesn't get into my top 5, though it's easily one of the best made shows I've ever watched season 3 onwards technically. Just couldn't resonate with the story and characters enough. Shame
Reply 5
Original post by Miracle Day

I agree. I love GoT and I loved the Sopranos etc.

I gave Breaking Bad a good go, but it was just so ridiculous and far-fetched, and all the episodes were just really ****ing boring, so I just gave it up and read the synopsis on wikipedia instead, and felt relieved to have saved like 200 hours of my life.
Reply 6
:eek: It's by far the best TV programme I have watched ever. Three days after I bought the first series I went back to HMV to buy the second. I didn't find it slow at all; I constantly had to fight the temptation to watch them all in one go.
game of thrones is the overrated one if you ask me, i feel asleep during the first episode.
I don't think it's overrated at all, I enjoyed it so much and I'm still mourning over it :lol: I love Game of Thrones too, but personally, I think Breaking Bad is better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It drags on a bit in places occasionally, but the last couple of seasons were absolute perfection, up there with the first few sessions of the wire.
I can see how you could find season 1 slow, I did, and season 2 is very above average, but not perfect, television. Beyond that it gets close. Season 5 especially.

It is my favourite show along with Game of Thrones and Mad Men (one favourite is so cumbersome :rolleyes:).
The first two series are a bit slow.

The third series is great.

The fourth series is one of the best things which has ever been on TV.

Fifth drags on a bit towards the end IMHO.
Reply 12
stop trying to be hipster.
Reply 13
I dislike both GoT and Breaking bad.

Vikings, Suits and Spartacus on the other hand :teehee:
100% agree it's boring bs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Breaking Bad is absolutely superb. The only thing I didn't like about it was Skyler.

I don't like Game of Thrones, but I dislike all fantasy - it's a genre that I can understand people liking, but it just isn't my thing.
Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's overrated. I didn't really like GoT's first episode because I found it too slow, but I didn't dismiss the entire series as overrated. (Same with Mad Men; I got bored).

Also I love when people dismiss works of fiction on the grounds that they are "far-fetched".
A lot of my friends won't even contemplate watching GoT cos it's fantasy, which just... eugghghgh

Breaking Bad just isn't as interesting as Game of Thrones, like, I got bored by it.

House of Cards is a way better 'serious' show anyway
Original post by pane123
Breaking Bad is absolutely superb. The only thing I didn't like about it was Skyler.

I don't like Game of Thrones, but I dislike all fantasy - it's a genre that I can understand people liking, but it just isn't my thing.

have you watch Game of Thrones?
Reply 19
Original post by samthemiller
have you watch Game of Thrones?

Yes, but only very briefly.

Latest