The Student Room Group

What is your least favourite book?

As the title says, what is your least favourite book?

Scroll to see replies

No turning back by susan lewis
Original post by Emma:-)
No turning back by susan lewis

What didn't you like about that book?
Original post by JDINCINERATOR
What didn't you like about that book?

I just couldnt get into it.
I never did finish it.
I struggled to get into it to start with, but carried on. It seemed to get a bit better, but then a few pages later went downhill again. In the end i put it down and never carried on with it.
Reply 4
All of the Game of Thrones books (long, pondering, just get to the sodding point) Wolf Hall - awful, the God of Small things....
Reply 5
Any book written by Peter Ruckman.
The most abysmal two of the lot are probably Bible Babel and The Death of Biblical Doctrine.
Reply 6
At the risk of stating the obvious, Mein Kampf. Years ago when I was studying Nazi Germany for GCSE History, I found an online copy & thought it would be interesting to read Hitler's own words to get an insight into his mindset, why he believed the things he did etc. It really is a terrible book, not just for the ideas in it- that's pretty much what you'd expect given who wrote it- it's also really badly written, disjointed, rambling to the point of being almost unreadable.
Ok erm wasn’t a fan of Michael mupurgos books other than warhorse and the unicorn one. In school I didn’t enjoy reading the adventures of Charlotte Doyle or the taming of the shrew
I don't like Twilight. There's no plot except moon-eyes at first half, then the baseball thing is just ridiculous.

All the classics I read weren't bad at all. I wonder whether you have ever read a classic and dissappointed you.
Original post by Kallisto
All the classics I read weren't bad at all. I wonder whether you have ever read a classic and disappointed you.

It's not a bad story, but HG Wells' The Invisible Man disappointed me. Perhaps I had too high expectations going into it. I expected something more but it didn't deliver.
Every other character is so flat: I can't name a single one and I just read it last month. There aren't any explorations of the psychological aspects of abuse of power when the invisible man is already a terrible person before he turned, um, invisible. The villain had the most pathetic motive ever: quote-unquote "Reign of Terror' (seriously?) idea while he's naked all that time he's invisible.
I feel like ill get jumped for this but 1984 is massively overrated

Original post by Kallisto
All the classics I read weren't bad at all. I wonder whether you have ever read a classic and dissappointed you.

Do you recommend any classics? I liked Great Expectations, Brave New World, Animal Farm, tried to get to To the Lighthouse but was too busy so didn't finish it. Would love to read The Picture of Dorian Grey and Jane Austen's in the future.
Original post by Bookworm524
It's not a bad story, but HG Wells' The Invisible Man disappointed me. Perhaps I had too high expectations going into it. I expected something more but it didn't deliver.
Every other character is so flat: I can't name a single one and I just read it last month. There aren't any explorations of the psychological aspects of abuse of power when the invisible man is already a terrible person before he turned, um, invisible. The villain had the most pathetic motive ever: quote-unquote "Reign of Terror' (seriously?) idea while he's naked all that time he's invisible.

Flat characters, pathetic motive of a villain: these are two things I need to know to get my hands off this book. Thanks for your statement.
Reply 14
Original post by oxfordthrowaway

I love it as an introduction to those kind of books, completely see your point though. Others like Brave New World are written a lot better and have a more varied, arguably more critical view on society,
yeah exactly and imo it was a bit waffly? but overall the message was still impressive but overrated
Original post by turgid
I love it as an introduction to those kind of books, completely see your point though. Others like Brave New World are written a lot better and have a more varied, arguably more critical view on society,
Reply 16
yeah exactly and imo it was a bit waffly? but overall the message was still impressive but overrated

yeah completely, really waffly with the war being mentioned every chapter and that but still has a really good message
and yknow when winston finds the Goldstein book I feel like the pacing becomes so slow at that point
Original post by turgid
yeah completely, really waffly with the war being mentioned every chapter and that but still has a really good message
The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown.

He's an author who became famous for the controversy surrounding the story in Da Vinci Code rather than any actual quality of his writing, and I will give him credit for Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons both being perfectly passable thrillers. But his other two books that had come out at that time, Deception Point and Digital Fortress, showed how shallow his skill set is, because you can pretty much guess both the twists and the main villain's identity from the first couple of chapters. But with the Lost Symbol things just became absurd. The writing is awful, and there was no credibility to the plot line at all. It was basically Robert Langdon (who, for those who don't know, is also the main character from Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons; Tom Hanks plays him in the films) walking into a room and then declaring the answer to a puzzle that the reader could never have comprehended. It turned him into a human Google, and was incredibly dissatisfying. Not even an attempt to actual join some dots for the plot that can keep the reader engaged.

So yeah, utterly woeful, and I think to date the only book I've given one star to on Goodreads.

Interestingly, I read this only about six months ago and was expecting it to be challenging to read because of when it was written (I went through a period of reading 'classics' like this, and they do tend to need a bit more effort because they're usually quite dated), but I thought it was excellent. I actually came away thinking it's a shame that it's so often referred to inaccurately and in passing in social media discourse, because I genuinely thought it was a very good book even by today's standards. I'm not sure how a 200 page book can be described as waffly, but I do entirely accept that the pacing becomes slower when the Goldstein book is introduced.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending