The Student Room Group

McDonald’s early break - illegal?

I’ve worked at McDonald’s through college for about a year now. Today I was put on break 20 minutes into a 6 hour shift. When I asked to go on break later I was told I have to go now or I won’t get one at all. Even other managers mentioned the fact I only worked 20 minutes but the manager sending me on break just whinged about it. He has done this to 3 others today including sending someone on a 9 hour shift on break 45 minutes into their shift.

Isn’t this completely illegal ?
I was very tempted to quit and this has solidified that I’m currently in my car on break ready to drive home.
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Bensxr
I’ve worked at McDonald’s through college for about a year now. Today I was put on break 20 minutes into a 6 hour shift. When I asked to go on break later I was told I have to go now or I won’t get one at all. Even other managers mentioned the fact I only worked 20 minutes but the manager sending me on break just whinged about it. He has done this to 3 others today including sending someone on a 9 hour shift on break 45 minutes into their shift.

I was very tempted to quit and this has solidified that I’m currently in my car on break ready to drive home.

See this page which says:
"Workers have the right to one uninterrupted 20 minute rest break during their working day, if they work more than 6 hours a day."

Also see this page which says:
"Employers can say when employees take rest breaks during work time as long as:
the break is taken in one go somewhere in the middle of the day (not at the beginning or end)
workers are allowed to spend it away from their desk or workstation (ie away from where they actually work)".

That "somewhere in the middle of the day" is a tad vague for my liking. Someone could argue that as it's not the first 20 minutes of the day or the last 20 minutes of the day, then it's "somewhere in the middle of the day". :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by Bensxr

No it's not illegal for you to have a earlier break providing you get it.

Sometimes employees are asked to take earlier break for a particular reason - perhaps due to a promotional event which they require all the staff to be available or even if they are usually busy at the time you would normally have your break.

I work in retail and sometimes I have no choice but to take a early break, sometimes it might be later than scheduled but that's how retailing works.
Original post by Tracey_W
No it's not illegal for you to have a earlier break providing you get it.

Sometimes employees are asked to take earlier break for a particular reason - perhaps due to a promotional event which they require all the staff to be available or even if they are usually busy at the time you would normally have your break.

I work in retail and sometimes I have no choice but to take a early break, sometimes it might be later than scheduled but that's how retailing works.

I agree
Reply 4
Original post by Bensxr

So you want a job or not? Know that you are not irreplaceable and there are many waiting in the sidelines to step in.
Reply 5
Original post by Emma:-)
I agree

Thanks Emma.
Original post by Euapp
So you want a job or not? Know that you are not irreplaceable and there are many waiting in the sidelines to step in.

What has this got to do with having rights as an employee? Just because others are wanting work it doesn't mean someone has to endure unfair treatment
Reply 7
Original post by JDSensations
What has this got to do with having rights as an employee? Just because others are wanting work it doesn't mean someone has to endure unfair treatment

From experience, having done every style of grotty job around and then moving considerably higher up the professional ladder , as long as you are not being systematically and repeatedly s**t on from a great height, if you want to get on in the workplace and progress, you are better off getting on with the job rather than knowing and applying religiously the rule book. Sometimes managers have things that don’t always go to plan and if you’re flexible there is pay back. If on the other hand you are intransigent you will be looked over as considered not being a team player. This is of course ONLY if it’s a rare occurrence. But OP has had this happen once and says « I was tempted to quit ». Signs of a great team player if ever I saw one!
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Euapp
From experience, having done every style of grotty job around and then moving considerably higher up the professional ladder , as long as you are not being systematically and repeatedly s**t on from a great height, if you want to get on in the workplace and progress, you are better off getting on with the job rather than knowing and applying religiously the rule book. Sometimes managers have things that don’t always go to plan and if you’re flexible there is pay back. If on the other hand you are intransigent you will be looked over as considered not being a team player. This is of course ONLY if it’s a rare occurrence. But OP has had this happen once and says « I was tempted to quit ». Signs of a great team player if ever I saw one!

I agree it was a bit premature to threaten/question quitting after 1 incident.
I have had my fair share of varied work environments and have also had to suck it up and get on with things. I currently work through my lunch as I am the only person left in my job and have no cover, it is what it is.
The OP should be allowed to feel disgruntled though and question these actions, I hate the whole 'if you don't take it now you can't have it' attitude. There are ways to treat staff, respect is earned.
I get it, it's McDonalds, they have a high turnover of staff and everyone I just a number. The simple fact is, other managers even questioned it (going by the OP) and these rules are put in place for a reason.
Reply 9
Original post by JDSensations
I agree it was a bit premature to threaten/question quitting after 1 incident.
I have had my fair share of varied work environments and have also had to suck it up and get on with things. I currently work through my lunch as I am the only person left in my job and have no cover, it is what it is.
The OP should be allowed to feel disgruntled though and question these actions, I hate the whole 'if you don't take it now you can't have it' attitude. There are ways to treat staff, respect is earned.
I get it, it's McDonalds, they have a high turnover of staff and everyone I just a number. The simple fact is, other managers even questioned it (going by the OP) and these rules are put in place for a reason.

If something is repeatedly happening due to bad organisation/ management then yes there is a reason to be disgruntled, but one incident in a year of employment is hardly worth walking out of a job for. I would expect an employer to be respectful of those that work for them, but I would also expect an employee to have a minimum of understanding and flexibility in particular, extraordinary circumstances. If they don’t I wouldn’t want them as an employee. There are literally thousands of jobsworth’s waiting to take on those kind of roles. Certain will give it 100% even if it is the most ingratiating of jobs, and they will move up the ladder. The other type won’t last long wherever they go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending