The Student Room Group

What's the most overrated Christmas song?

We all have our favourites

We all have those Xmas bangers we stick on every year

But which Christmas song do you think is overrated, overplayed, you don't see why people like it?

For me (don't @ me), it's got to be White Christmas. :redface:

Just find it so boring :frown:

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

All I want for Christmas is you by Mariah Carey

I like the song but it’s overplayed and overrated. Haven’t heard the song in public yet this year (like I usually do), thank God.

People are probably also going to say Fairytale New York.
Feel bad saying this because one of the lead singers recently passed away but fairytail of new york is really overrated.
Original post by CoolCavy
Feel bad saying this because one of the lead singers recently passed away but fairytail of new york is really overrated.

Knew that someone was going to say this.
Original post by Talkative Toad
Knew that someone was going to say this.

It's true though, tbh I don't like many Christmas songs. We are all stuck with the same 10-ish songs that get played on repeat all month long :s-smilie:

They are both now deceased. Kirsty MacColl died in a tragic boating accident whilst on a diving trip in December 2000 when she was hit by a luxury powerboat. She had saved her 13 year old son from that fate when she pushed him out of the boats path and was struck herself and died on impact. The dive site at Cozumel Mexico, where she died, was designated as a watercraft restricted-zone and the boat travelling at dangerously high speed should never have entered it.

The lyrics are quite poignant for both the writer and lead singers as parts of their career and lives are loosely portrayed in them

Definitely not overrated though and especially when it was first released in 1987. It is however overplayed (much the same as any Christmas hit played over and over in virtually every shop in the lead up) hence why many dislike it.

It was Christmas Eve babe
In the drunk tank
An old man said to me, won't see another one
And then he sang a song
The Rare Old Mountain Dew
I turned my face away
And dreamed about you

Got on a lucky one
Came in eighteen to one
I've got a feeling
This year's for me and you
So happy Christmas
I love you baby
I can see a better time
When all our dreams come true

They've got cars big as bars
They've got rivers of gold
But the wind goes right through you
It's no place for the old
When you first took my hand
On a cold Christmas Eve
You promised me Broadway was waiting for me

You were handsome
You were pretty
Queen of New York City
When the band finished playing
They howled out for more
Sinatra was swinging
All the drunks they were singing
We kissed on a corner
Then danced through the night

The boys of the NYPD choir
Were singing Galway Bay
And the bells were ringing out
For Christmas day

You're a bum
You're a punk
You're an old slut on junk
Lying there almost dead on a drip in that bed
You scumbag
You maggot
You cheap lousy ******
Happy Christmas your arse I pray God it's our last

Still singing Galway Bay
And the bells are ringing out
For Christmas day

I could have been someone
Well so could anyone
You took my dreams from me
When I first found you
I kept them with me babe
I put them with my own
Can't make it all alone
I've built my dreams around you

Still singing Galway Bay
For Christmas day

Songwriters: Jem Finer / Shane Patrick Lysaght Macgowan
Fairytale of New York lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, Universal Music Publishing Group
It's true though, tbh I don't like many Christmas songs. We are all stuck with the same 10-ish songs that get played on repeat all month long :s-smilie:

I personally like Fairytale New York (might be one of my favourite Christmas Songs) but I can definitely see why people find the song to be overrated.
I personally like Fairytale New York (might be one of my favourite Christmas Songs) but I can definitely see why people find the song to be overrated.

For me personally it depends how often something is played, I quite like stop the cavalry mainly due to the message and also it's a tad more unusual. It's not played on the radio much.

I just really dont like repetition after being forced to work somewhere with the radio on constantly :lol: I can't remember what station it was but they decided to do Christmas songs all workday long for the whole month of december. It was a more pop station so maybe heart or heat or something I can't really remember. Got it turned off in the end but the 3 days it was on were tortuous.

Original post by uberteknik
They are both now deceased. Kirsty MacColl died in a tragic boating accident whilst on a diving trip in December 2000 when she was hit by a luxury powerboat. She had saved her 13 year old son from that fate when she pushed him out of the boats path and was struck herself and died on impact. The dive site at Cozumel Mexico, where she died, was designated as a watercraft restricted-zone and the boat travelling at dangerously high speed should never have entered it.

The lyrics are quite poignant for both the writer and lead singers as parts of their career and lives are loosely portrayed in them

Definitely not overrated though and especially when it was first released in 1987. It is however overplayed (much the same as any Christmas hit played over and over in virtually every shop in the lead up) hence why many dislike it.

It was Christmas Eve babe
In the drunk tank
An old man said to me, won't see another one
And then he sang a song
The Rare Old Mountain Dew
I turned my face away
And dreamed about you

Got on a lucky one
Came in eighteen to one
I've got a feeling
This year's for me and you
So happy Christmas
I love you baby
I can see a better time
When all our dreams come true

They've got cars big as bars
They've got rivers of gold
But the wind goes right through you
It's no place for the old
When you first took my hand
On a cold Christmas Eve
You promised me Broadway was waiting for me

You were handsome
You were pretty
Queen of New York City
When the band finished playing
They howled out for more
Sinatra was swinging
All the drunks they were singing
We kissed on a corner
Then danced through the night

Were singing Galway Bay
And the bells were ringing out
For Christmas day

You're a bum
You're a punk
You're an old slut on junk
Lying there almost dead on a drip in that bed
You scumbag
You maggot
You cheap lousy ******
Happy Christmas your arse I pray God it's our last

Still singing Galway Bay
For Christmas day

I could have been someone
Well so could anyone
You took my dreams from me
When I first found you
I kept them with me babe
I put them with my own
Can't make it all alone
I've built my dreams around you

Still singing Galway Bay
For Christmas day

Songwriters: Jem Finer / Shane Patrick Lysaght Macgowan
Fairytale of New York lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, Universal Music Publishing Group

Yeh I do quite like the story telling of it, it's a bit more in depth than 'yay it's Christmas' or 'heartbreak song about a Christmas lover' but it's just played over and over.

It's sad both of them are now gone, hopefully they RIP
For me personally it depends how often something is played, I quite like stop the cavalry mainly due to the message and also it's a tad more unusual. It's not played on the radio much.

I just really dont like repetition after being forced to work somewhere with the radio on constantly :lol: I can't remember what station it was but they decided to do Christmas songs all workday long for the whole month of december. It was a more pop station so maybe heart or heat or something I can't really remember. Got it turned off in the end but the 3 days it was on were tortuous.

Yeh I do quite like the story telling of it, it's a bit more in depth than 'yay it's Christmas' or 'heartbreak song about a Christmas lover' but it's just played over and over.

It's sad both of them are now gone, hopefully they RIP

Yes All I want for Christmas is you and fairytale New York are overplayed.
Paul McCartney's Wonderful Christmastime.
All I want for Christmas is you by Mariah Carey

Yes, this ^
People are probably also going to say Fairytale New York.

I was in Dublin a week before Christmas in 2019 and I can confirm that when this was played in the nightclub at the end of the night it was basically a religious experience.

Even if it does have a good track record of creating Discourse...
I honestly can't think of a Christmas song I actually like
Last Christmas
Reply 13
8 days of christmas - Beyonce

Materialism overload
Original post by Saracen's Fez
Yes, this ^

I was in Dublin a week before Christmas in 2019 and I can confirm that when this was played in the nightclub at the end of the night it was basically a religious experience.

Even if it does have a good track record of creating Discourse...

Yes I like Fairytale New York (probably my favourite Christmas song) but I do hear the song everywhere.
Anything by Michael Bublé! He has such a smug smile when he sings and I can hear it in his music.
Michael Buble's entire existence.
Reply 17
All of them!

I like the Pogues in general but that bloody song gets on my last nerve and makes my teeth itch.

I'm not a grinch but I cba with Xmas music at all.
Original post by Joinedup
8 days of christmas - Beyonce

Materialism overload

I’ve never even heard on this song
Reply 19
I’ve never even heard on this song

seems like I hear it everytime I go into a supermarket.

Quick Reply

Latest