The Student Room Group

Economic Maths

Hi everyone,

Could someone point me in the direction of the rule which allows for the below transformation.

C=rA1a+BaBBa+BwrBa+BQ1a+B+wA1a+BBaaB+arwaB+aQ1a+B[br][br][br][br]C=1A1a+B[aBBa+B+BAaa+B]raa+BwBa+BQ1a+B[br][br] C^* = r \bullet A^\frac{-1}{a+B} \bullet \frac{a}{B}^\frac{B}{a+B} \bullet \frac{w}{r}^\frac{B}{a+B} \bullet Q^\frac{1}{a+B} + w \bullet A^\frac{-1}{a+B} \bullet \frac{B}{a}^\frac{a}{B+a} \bullet \frac{r}{w}^\frac{a}{B+a} \bullet Q^\frac{1}{a+B}[br][br]\Rightarrow[br][br]C^* = \frac{1}{A^\frac{1}{a+B}} \bullet \left[ \frac{a}{B}^\frac{B}{a+B} + \frac{B}{A}^\frac{a}{a+B} \right] \bullet r^\frac{a}{a+B} \bullet w^\frac{B}{a+B} \bullet Q^\frac{1}{a+B}[br][br]

Thanks for any replies.
Original post by FishFullofRum
Hi everyone,

Could someone point me in the direction of the rule which allows for the below transformation.

C=rA1a+BaBBa+BwrBa+BQ1a+B+wA1a+BBaaB+arwaB+aQ1a+B[br][br][br][br]C=1A1a+B[aBBa+B+BAaa+B]raa+BwBa+BQ1a+B[br][br] C^* = r \bullet A^\frac{-1}{a+B} \bullet \frac{a}{B}^\frac{B}{a+B} \bullet \frac{w}{r}^\frac{B}{a+B} \bullet Q^\frac{1}{a+B} + w \bullet A^\frac{-1}{a+B} \bullet \frac{B}{a}^\frac{a}{B+a} \bullet \frac{r}{w}^\frac{a}{B+a} \bullet Q^\frac{1}{a+B}[br][br]\Rightarrow[br][br]C^* = \frac{1}{A^\frac{1}{a+B}} \bullet \left[ \frac{a}{B}^\frac{B}{a+B} + \frac{B}{A}^\frac{a}{a+B} \right] \bullet r^\frac{a}{a+B} \bullet w^\frac{B}{a+B} \bullet Q^\frac{1}{a+B}[br][br]

Thanks for any replies.

I presume the bullet is just multiplication. There are a few rules involved:

Index manipulation:

1xy=xy \dfrac{1}{x^y}=x^{-y}

xr×xs=xr+sx^r\times x^s = x^{r+s}

(xy)s=xsys\left(\dfrac{x}{y}\right)^s = \dfrac{x^s}{y^s}

(Note: w=w1w=w^1)

and factorisation:

xy+xz=x(y+z)xy+xz = x(y+z) generalised.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Excuse me for sounding like an eejit, but it isn't obvious to me why the r and w terms should be outside of the brackets if they're not found in common on both sides of the addition sign... any suggestions?
Reply 3
Excuse me for sounding like an eejit, but it isn't obvious to me why the r and w terms should be outside of the brackets if they're not found in common on both sides of the addition sign; any suggestions?
Original post by FishFullofRum
Excuse me for sounding like an eejit, but it isn't obvious to me why the r and w terms should be outside of the brackets if they're not found in common on both sides of the addition sign; any suggestions?

I'll look at one of them, the "r" terms. Your confusion may be that the exponent applies to both the numerator and the denominator in each fraction, rather than just the numerator.

In your original formula you have before the "+" sign:

r r and wrBa+B\frac{w}{r}^{\frac{B}{a+B}}

Which gives us

r1 r^1 and wBa+brBa+Bw^{\frac{B}{a+b}}r^{-\frac{B}{a+B}}

Just considering the r terms we then have:

r1Ba+Br^{1-\frac{B}{a+B}}

which equals:

r(a+B)Ba+Br^{\frac{(a+B)-B}{a+B}}

Hence:

raa+Br^{\frac{a}{a+B}}

Which is also the power of r in the second term, and hence we can take it out as a factor.
Reply 5
You're an absolute star. Perfectly explained, thanks for taking the time.

Quick Reply

Latest