The Student Room Group

A-level choices

Hi, I am looking for advice in a-level choices from someone who knows more about the university applications. I got 9s in both maths and english lit and lang in yr 10 mocks and want to do economics as a career. I don’t know however, if an economics degree is absolutely necessary for a career in economics, or if I could simply study english literature or maths, as these would probably be easier to get into in more prestigious universities.
My idea is maths, economics and english literature for alevel, but if an english literature degree from somewhere like oxbridge could work for economics, maybe these choices are too maths based to apply??
TLDR; I want the possibility of doing a degree in maths, economics or english literature in my a-levels, and I fear my ideas are too mathsy for acceptance in english??
Reply 1
Original post by Hopefuluser
Hi, I am looking for advice in a-level choices from someone who knows more about the university applications. I got 9s in both maths and english lit and lang in yr 10 mocks and want to do economics as a career. I don’t know however, if an economics degree is absolutely necessary for a career in economics, or if I could simply study english literature or maths, as these would probably be easier to get into in more prestigious universities.
My idea is maths, economics and english literature for alevel, but if an english literature degree from somewhere like oxbridge could work for economics, maybe these choices are too maths based to apply??
TLDR; I want the possibility of doing a degree in maths, economics or english literature in my a-levels, and I fear my ideas are too mathsy for acceptance in english??

You will need to check with the Uni requirements for example, for City, Uni of London to study Economics they didn't mention what you need to do for A-Levels https://www.city.ac.uk/prospective-students/courses/undergraduate/economics#accordion502079-header2 whereas, Queen Mary Uni https://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/coursefinder/courses/2024/economics/ they mention they want A-Level Maths

hope this helps!
Reply 2
Maths is more important for an Economics degree than A level Econ.

'Do Economics as a career' is a bit vague. Just remember that a degree, any degree, can enable you to work in a thousand different areas that have nothing to do with your degree subject, and many graduate entry schemes do not specify a degree subject. Even the Government Fast Stream for Econ only requires a degree with 50% Econ content - https://www.faststream.gov.uk/government-economic-service/index.html
Original post by Hopefuluser

You definitely do not need Economics to do an economics degree but if you are interested in the subject, take it. The subjects that you have chosen are very broad so if you do have a sudden change in what you want to study at uni, you have a range of options. I would definitely stick with Maths A-Level though as it is a facilitating subject and because A Level Maths will help you for both applying for an Economics Degree at a Russell Group uni as well as later on in your career. Hope this helps
Original post by johnpork123
You definitely do not need Economics to do an economics degree but if you are interested in the subject, take it. The subjects that you have chosen are very broad so if you do have a sudden change in what you want to study at uni, you have a range of options. I would definitely stick with Maths A-Level though as it is a facilitating subject and because A Level Maths will help you for both applying for an Economics Degree at a Russell Group uni as well as later on in your career. Hope this helps

I was wondering if doing maths a level is integral for getting an economics degree in uni because I'm not the best at maths and it worries me that I wouldn't be able to perform really well in a level maths.
Original post by fatimagailani
I was wondering if doing maths a level is integral for getting an economics degree in uni because I'm not the best at maths and it worries me that I wouldn't be able to perform really well in a level maths.

A Level Maths will definitely help you get offers from Russell Group unis as many of them want A Level Maths as Economics is a very mathematical degree. Even some of the top top unis for economics (LSE, Oxford, Warwick etc...) prefer you to do Maths and Further Maths if your school offer it. I know many people in my year who are applying to do Economics at uni and are restricted massively because they didn't take Maths. I'd say if you get a high 7 or above at GCSE, you will not struggle too much with Maths A Level if you are planning on being consistent and put in effort. You've got plenty of time to get your Maths grade up between now and May - just keep doing loads of past papers and watch loads of videos. Hope this helps!
Original post by johnpork123
A Level Maths will definitely help you get offers from Russell Group unis as many of them want A Level Maths as Economics is a very mathematical degree. Even some of the top top unis for economics (LSE, Oxford, Warwick etc...) prefer you to do Maths and Further Maths if your school offer it. I know many people in my year who are applying to do Economics at uni and are restricted massively because they didn't take Maths. I'd say if you get a high 7 or above at GCSE, you will not struggle too much with Maths A Level if you are planning on being consistent and put in effort. You've got plenty of time to get your Maths grade up between now and May - just keep doing loads of past papers and watch loads of videos. Hope this helps!

That's really helpful thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest