The Student Room Group

A-level choices and Uni

As someone who has just finished GCSES, I have to make a decision on the A-level courses I want to take. I have a massive passion for Maths and Economics really interests me so I am convinced on Maths, Further Maths and Economics. I have applied to do these three and Physics as well since Further Maths has to be a fourth choice withing the Sixth Form I have applied to. I am already thinking about dropping Physics and I am just wondering if Unis care if Further Maths is one of only three A levels you do. I would like to take Economics for a degree and want to know if Math, Further Maths and Economics is a good selection.
It wouldn’t disqualify you to take further maths as one of only three but it would be ideal to have three as well as it as many unis would see the former as a bit too narrow since it’s not really three different subjects.
If you don’t like physics you could always take something like politics, which is more related to economics than physics and would give you a bit of a break from maths-heavy subjects.
Basically, maths, further maths and economics is a fine selection but if you want to go to particularly good unis then it would help to take another subject as well, such as politics or business, to show you can deal with the breadth of three different subjects.
Reply 2
Original post by Samcb1231
As someone who has just finished GCSES, I have to make a decision on the A-level courses I want to take. I have a massive passion for Maths and Economics really interests me so I am convinced on Maths, Further Maths and Economics. I have applied to do these three and Physics as well since Further Maths has to be a fourth choice withing the Sixth Form I have applied to. I am already thinking about dropping Physics and I am just wondering if Unis care if Further Maths is one of only three A levels you do. I would like to take Economics for a degree and want to know if Math, Further Maths and Economics is a good selection.

Fine if you are doing Economics or Maths at uni, but it might be seen as being too narrow if you end up changing your mind and want to do something else, at least for some of the most competitive unis.
Original post by Samcb1231

Maths, FM and Economics will cover you almost everywhere for Maths, Economics, Computer Science, Accountancy type courses. If your sixth form is insistent on FM being a 4th you might have problems there.

Quick Reply

Latest