The Student Room Group

Economics degree

I am planning to take A level economics, geography, french and core maths. I cannot take A level maths as it is in the same option block as geography. I am not yet fully sure what job I want to do but I would be interested in economics and french degree or teaching or maybe business management and french. I have read that for economics you need A level maths for good universities, would core maths be accepted? Is my A level combination Ok to keep these 3 options open?
Reply 1
At Bath - as one example - whilst you need A level Maths for 'Economics', you dont for 'International Development with Economics' or 'Politics with Economics', because Economics is the minor subject. So - look around at 'and Economics' or 'with Economics' as well as just 'Economics'.
Reply 2
I had a look and there are some BA economics with french which do not require maths. However the BSc require maths but nobody ever mentions core maths. Is core maths as fourth subject a total waste of time?
Reply 3
Core maths is only worth 40% of an A level
Original post by Student231122
I am planning to take A level economics, geography, french and core maths. I cannot take A level maths as it is in the same option block as geography. I am not yet fully sure what job I want to do but I would be interested in economics and french degree or teaching or maybe business management and french. I have read that for economics you need A level maths for good universities, would core maths be accepted? Is my A level combination Ok to keep these 3 options open?

I'm applying to do economics this year at university and I would definitely do A-Level Maths if you are planning on doing an economics degree at a Russell Group uni. Most of them will Maths as part of their entry requirements and I'm grateful that I took Maths for this reason. I do know of a friend who went to York to do Economics and he did core maths instead of A Level maths. He is struggling a lot with the maths that he is doing with his degree so I wouldn't say that core maths is a good alternative but at the end of the day it is better than nothing!
Reply 5
Original post by johnpork123
I'm applying to do economics this year at university and I would definitely do A-Level Maths if you are planning on doing an economics degree at a Russell Group uni. Most of them will Maths as part of their entry requirements and I'm grateful that I took Maths for this reason. I do know of a friend who went to York to do Economics and he did core maths instead of A Level maths. He is struggling a lot with the maths that he is doing with his degree so I wouldn't say that core maths is a good alternative but at the end of the day it is better than nothing!

Thank you for the replies, I know maths is very important for economics but in my school it is in the same block as geography which I really want to take as I loved it at GCSEs and got an 8 last year. I am not really keen to change school as I don't want to commute and loose my friends. I just want to know if core maths as fourth option is going to help to get into Russel group or if it is useless
Thank you for the replies, I know maths is very important for economics but in my school it is in the same block as geography which I really want to take as I loved it at GCSEs and got an 8 last year. I am not really keen to change school as I don't want to commute and loose my friends. I just want to know if core maths as fourth option is going to help to get into Russel group or if it is useless

If A-level Maths is listed as a requirement then core maths won't meet that requirement. This is true whether the course is offered by an RG uni or not (and that's not a useful metric to use in choosing your unis anyway). Also some RG unis don't require A-level Maths for economics anyway - and lots of nonRG unis do require it.

The reason it is widely required is because economics at degree level is necessarily mathematical. Note that economics at A-level is NOT required for an economics degree. You may want to see if you can swap economics for maths then.

Also note to make a competitive application to some economics degrees (LSE, Cambridge, probably UCL) they would expect you yo be taking A-level Further Maths as well if offered by your school. Its also positively received by many other economics courses.

If you really cannot take Maths and you are not willing to drop Geography then definitely do core maths as at least it will add a little something to your application. But please bare in mind that you will be very limited for choices as to what RG unis you will be able to apply to as many want Maths as it is a very mathematical degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending