The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

What is wrong with fat shaming?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by miser
What I think is wrong with it is that I don't think 'shaming' people is the best way to get them to abandon what is most-likely a comfort-seeking behaviour.

I didn't mean shaming in a ''haha you're a fat azz'' way, I meant it as in society and the media telling fat people it's just fine being fat and they should be comfortable in their skin even though it has an awful effect on their health and society. We don't do that for alcoholics, druggies or smokers. So why do we do it for fatties?
Reply 41
Original post by tehforum
Oh, a tax on 'fatty food'.
That doesn't work.

Fat doesn't make you fat.

Eating more than you expend makes you fat.

Fat doesn't make you fat?

:K:

You'd be right if we lived in an active society however we live in a sedentary society, office based and sitting in a car or bus to get to work. People need something that will fill them up but have as few calories as possible. Calories don't fill you up, the sensation of a filled stomach does, as does the taste of fat and sugar.

People aren't going to suddenly start exercising and the majority of overweight people can't even count calories or control their portion size anyway so asking them to do that won't work.

Forcing them to eat vegetables and fish from a cost point of view would be more effective.
Original post by jamieTT
Why is it OK to look down on or try to correct alcoholics, druggies, gambling addicts and so on but fat shaming is a no no? Stuffing your face with ****y food 24/7 is not only bad for your own health but it also affects society as a whole in many ways (healthcare costs etc).

It's none of my business and nobody attacks people who drive a lot for causing decay to the roads (the equivalent of the NHS argument)

To be honest, as much as I think that drug-use and alcoholism is stupid and damaging, I don't exactly go round attacking them
Reply 43
Original post by Viva Emptiness
How will you know whether they are making an effort to lose weight or not? What even is "fat-shaming" then? I am confused.

The idea that it's completely OK to be whatever weight you want, as long as it doesn't harm anyone else. Because that's never the case, bad eating habits in parents result in bad eating habits in their children, which are much harder to turn around later in life. It is also of course a massive, easily preventable burden on national healthcare. No one is saying bullying is the way forward (at least I'm not), but there needs to be a massive increase in education regarding nutrition, fitness, and health. Why aren't kids taught this stuff from a young age in school? I can't think of a single reason not to

Original post by Okkefac
Even when I wasn't on a diet, I ate less than my healthy, slim friends, and I bet many other fat people are like this too...

This kind of attitude is part of the problem, people genuinely thinking their "genetics" or "bone structure" is why they are fat and thus thinking it is out of their control. You weren't eating less than your slim friends, that is a fact. You decided to do something about which is fantastic it but many others would believe they are unable to change their weight and so continue to live unhealthily even if they didn't want to. That's simply down to a lack of education, those of us who train regularly and eat properly know that it's easily possible for any person to lose weight, so the problem is mainly down to the average person knowing **** all about how the body works
Reply 44
Original post by james1211
Fat doesn't make you fat?

:K:

You'd be right if we lived in an active society however we live in a sedentary society, office based and sitting in a car or bus to get to work. People need something that will fill them up but have as few calories as possible. Calories don't fill you up, the sensation of a filled stomach does, as does the taste of fat and sugar.

People aren't going to suddenly start exercising and the majority of overweight people can't even count calories or control their portion size anyway so asking them to do that won't work.

Forcing them to eat vegetables and fish from a cost point of view would be more effective.

No, fat by itself doesn't make you fat.

Consult a year 7 biology textbook.

Energy in > energy out = more energy i.e. food in body ->weight gain
ok cool.

all fat people have hypothyroid.

use some common sense, and you'd infer that pretty much 99% of people who are fat chose to be fat.

Who said all fat people have hypothyroid? What I'm saying is, you can't make such a broad generalisation when there are so many factors that could be involved - psychological issues as well as medical ones. Of course some people choose to be fat, but equally many people don't. And because from appearance you can't really tell the difference, it pays to avoid stereotype when discussing these issues.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-health/10726590/Size-16-mannequins-make-being-fat-normal.html

Large mannequins in shops are “normalising” being overweight and making increasing numbers of people feel that obesity is acceptable, the Chief Medical Officer has warned

''Real women'' now means obese. ''Real women have curves''. This is the kind of bull**** I'm talking about. Being obese is not ''real'' or normal, it's simply obese.
Original post by bertstare
The idea that it's completely OK to be whatever weight you want, as long as it doesn't harm anyone else. Because that's never the case, bad eating habits in parents result in bad eating habits in their children, which are much harder to turn around later in life. It is also of course a massive, easily preventable burden on national healthcare. No one is saying bullying is the way forward (at least I'm not), but there needs to be a massive increase in education regarding nutrition, fitness, and health. Why aren't kids taught this stuff from a young age in school? I can't think of a single reason not to

I agree wholeheartedly, being obese is not a healthy way of life and shouldn't be actively encouraged. It's just, you know, your lovely education programme and health awareness campaign isn't exactly what springs to mind when I hear "fat-shaming".

I suspect that's not what the OP means.
Reply 48
You fail to think of the strain on the NHS in 30+ years time when people haven't kicked their old habits, are fat, and have heart disease or whatever.

All that money spent on patients which could have been avoided easily.

I didn't fail to think of it, I simply realise that shaming people is not a solution to that.

"Avoided easily", how so? Millions of overweight people are suddenly meant to band together for the sake of the nation's extrapolated healthcare expenses? I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I highly doubt there are many individuals who care. Smokers don't lose any sleep at night worrying about their effect on the NHS. Nor do most people sit around panicking about their impact on climate change.

People always jump to the "strain on the NHS"-argument, but I'm rather dubious about that being anything more than a convenient excuse for them to moan about fatties.
Reply 49

It's not that simple. A calorie is not a calorie. The body processes each in a distinct way, and these differences have real implications for weight management.

For example, there are differences in the energy cost to metabolize fat, carbs, and protein. There is the effects of lowering calorie intake on BMR (less intake lowers your BMR to a degree which in turn means the net loss in calories isn't linear), there are effects on the brain such as protein reducing appetite, and you also have effects from vegetable consumption such as it's reduction on calorie uptake in the gut.

Plus, it's more carbs than fat.
Reply 51
Original post by jamieTT
Why is it OK to look down on or try to correct alcoholics, druggies, gambling addicts and so on but fat shaming is a no no? Stuffing your face with ****y food 24/7 is not only bad for your own health but it also affects society as a whole in many ways (healthcare costs etc).

As somebody that has gone from thin to fat i kind of understand fat shaming, it's natural that those who have something valuable (money, a nice body) tend to essentially brag against those who do not. Especially since being fat is something that can be corrected.

I agree with OP.

People should be 'fat-shamed' because what you eat is a choice.

And bad choices deserve to influenced towards good choices.

You can't really influence many people like that. The weak minded will become more insecure and either develop an eating disorder or just eat more in comfort, then for people like me i'd just ignore you because your opinion is of no value to me.

You are somewhat right that people choose it through the wrong choices though. In my case I've always been greedy but walked everywhere so stayed very skinny, once in work i ate more of the worst stuff for convenience and cut the exercise to a minimum, hence the ballooning. You then have issues of denial at first and then questions surrounding the motivation to stop when it;s not affecting your life significantly. In the 6 years I've been fat I've only really taken any steps to briefly arrest the rise in the past 2-3. But of course there are then questions surrounding commitment and sticking rigidly to a plan for months to years.

I feel lucky in a way as i seem to able to lose fat relatively easily so long as i limit my portions and keep away from takeaways, at 6'4 (i guess that's the reason) i can eat burger and chips and still shed it (the problem is staying away from takeaways and staying at the gym).
Original post by cant_think_of_name
There's nothing wrong with telling someone kindly they have a weight problem but if I went up to someone and called them a fat **** or whatever, I feel like that's the kind of thing that damages people psychologically... a bit of respect goes a long way. They're still a person, even if they do have a problem.

Exactly this. Present people with the facts about what being overweight does to their health, and gently advise them to do something about it.

By "fat-shaming", I'm assuming you are questioning what's wrong with going further than the above - the answer being that it can be insulting &/or hurtful. You're right that obesity causes problems for us as a society, due to costs on the NHS and what have you, but equally we as a society should not give up our compassion, manners, or common decency in pursuit of a solution either. I guess the best way to illustrate it would be to ask, would you want to be bullied/abused/humiliated for one of your faults?
Reply 53
Original post by Aivicore
I didn't fail to think of it, I simply realise that shaming people is not a solution to that.

"Avoided easily", how so? Millions of overweight people are suddenly meant to band together for the sake of the nation's extrapolated healthcare expenses? I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I highly doubt there are many individuals who care. Smokers don't lose any sleep at night worrying about their effect on the NHS. Nor do most people sit around panicking about their impact on climate change.

People always jump to the "strain on the NHS"-argument, but I'm rather dubious about that being anything more than a convenient excuse for them to moan about fatties.

I don't suggest that people who are self-interested lazy, fat people who may change their lifestyle do so because of the saving of NHS resources. I say that it's a fortuitous consequence that arises from one having a good diet and lifestyle. The person's quality of life is improved, and the state's resources are not expended as fast.

It's not that simple. A calorie is not a calorie. The body processes each in a distinct way, and these differences have real implications for weight management.

For example, there are differences in the energy cost to metabolize fat, carbs, and protein. There is the effects of lowering calorie intake on BMR (less intake lowers your BMR to a degree which in turn means the net loss in calories isn't linear), there are effects on the brain such as protein reducing appetite, and you also have effects from vegetable consumption such as it's reduction on calorie uptake in the gut.

As a rule of thumb, my statement is correct.
What you said may be true, but it's hardly a significant factor in determining whether someone gains weight.

Gaining weight requires consistent overeating over an extended period of time.

Original post by keromedic
Plus, it's more carbs than fat.

Indeed.
Original post by Maid Marian
There's a difference between being a bit fat and being obese.

I'm sick of seeing people thinking they can instruct others on how to run their lives. If they want to get fat and stuff their face all day, then let them. It's only acceptable to start getting your knickers in a twist if it legitimately starts affecting you personally.

But surely by you telling people not to tell people how to run their lives... you're telling people how to run their lives?
Reply 55
Original post by bertstare

This kind of attitude is part of the problem, people genuinely thinking their "genetics" or "bone structure" is why they are fat and thus thinking it is out of their control. You weren't eating less than your slim friends, that is a fact. You decided to do something about which is fantastic it but many others would believe they are unable to change their weight and so continue to live unhealthily even if they didn't want to. That's simply down to a lack of education, those of us who train regularly and eat properly know that it's easily possible for any person to lose weight, so the problem is mainly down to the average person knowing **** all about how the body works

I know the first part of the reply wasn't for me but can I just reply? So many people aren't fat because they eat loads are massively lazy by their own choice (technically it is however) it's because that's how their parents raised them to be! Which is exactly what you said, and is what I think happened with me and again with most fat people I think. So really it can't truly 100% be the fat person's fault can it? Like a little 8 year old fat kid is going to want to eat more chicken nuggets because what 8 year olds are going to think far into the future and critically go "no I don't want to be fat!" they are going to just put it off, what they need are parents who refuse to feed them. Then the poor kids get stuck having to lose all the weight later, and fat shaming is going to make them feel bad and won't make them motivated (well it motivates some, not all). They're being called greedy and lazy, although to them it might be all they know as that's what they grew up doing. If it's a major health issue to them surely they should just be retaught, not shamed for how they were brought up, which is somewhat out of their control.

Now onto my point (sorry for the long winded reply), sorry but I have to disagree with you. I know losing weight and gaining weight is simply just taking in less energy than you're burning off, but I can still be eating less than my slim friends. I don't believe it's genetics fully, so obviously that's all BS and it's a shame some people feel they can't escape and just give up, saying it's genetics (for some people it probably genuinely is some problem completely out of their control, but many it wouldn't be).
Surely though different people have different metabolisms and thus burn off weight easier? Correct me if I'm wrong though.
Doesn't mean a fat kid couldn't be eating more than their friends though. What if the slim ones were just doing exercise thus burning off the extra food they were eating? Or they were slowly gaining weight, and the fat person stayed the same/slowly losing weight. I'm just making a point, it is possible.
Reply 56
As a rule of thumb, my statement is correct.
What you said may be true, but it's hardly a significant factor in determining whether someone gains weight.

Gaining weight requires consistent overeating over an extended period of time.

But it doesn't suggest or prove in any way that a fat tax wouldn't work. What alternative do you propose? Asking people to kindly count their calories won't work. Less than a fifth of adults eat five portions of fruit and veg a day despite a mighty expensive decade long government campaign.
Reply 57
Original post by jamieTT
I didn't mean shaming in a ''haha you're a fat azz'' way, I meant it as in society and the media telling fat people it's just fine being fat and they should be comfortable in their skin even though it has an awful effect on their health and society. We don't do that for alcoholics, druggies or smokers. So why do we do it for fatties?

I think those are two different messages. The acceptable one is to be comfortable in your skin and to like yourself independently of your appearance. The questionable one is that it's "just fine" being fat or risking your health.

Honestly I think fat people - women especially - tend to suffer from terrible self-esteem and image issues, and any compassionate person would want them to feel better about themselves. That doesn't mean they aren't putting their health at risk, however, so there should be a distinction between telling them it's okay to like yourself in spite of things you may be struggling with, versus telling them it's okay to stop struggling with those things altogether.

It is like telling someone "just be yourself", but that doesn't mean they shouldn't still try to improve.
Reply 58
Original post by Viva Emptiness
I agree wholeheartedly, being obese is not a healthy way of life and shouldn't be actively encouraged. It's just, you know, your lovely education programme and health awareness campaign isn't exactly what springs to mind when I hear "fat-shaming".

I suspect that's not what the OP means.

By shaming, I assume he simply means acknowledged that it is NOT okay. Heavy drinking, heavy smoking, drug use, unprotected sex with strangers, these are all examples of behaviours that are actively discouraged because of the possible consequences. I don't see these people being "bullied", but their actions are most definitely not condoned by society. Being an unhealthy weight simply should be seen in the same way, all this bull**** you see nowadays about how its acceptable to be any weight you want and "love your body regardless" is just a step in the absolute opposite direction to what needs to be done.

It's very simple, talk to any person who trains seriously and follows their diet, they'll know the basics of how to gain weight healthily, lose weight healthily, generally track their calories and macro/micronutrients etc. These people don't have PhD's in biochemistry, they are just regular people who have done a little bit of reading and research around the topic. But the average person has no clue about any of this, and if that is changed with a little education from a young age, this whole problem could be massively reduced
Reply 59
But it doesn't suggest or prove in any way that a fat tax wouldn't work. What alternative do you propose? Asking people to kindly count their calories won't work. Less than a fifth of adults eat five portions of fruit and veg a day despite a mighty expensive decade long government campaign.

Cut down supermarket portion sizes, and use the money towards fitness and education programs.

Latest

Trending

Trending