The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Brown people on tsr do you think white people are naturally racist ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by ClickItBack
First, I never claimed IQ differences were genetic anywhere in my post.

Second, for once I agree with you. There are big genetic differences between a Yoruba, a Dinka, a Xhosa and a Pygmy. Using the term 'black' is an inaccuracy, one used out of convenience, but it should probably be avoided. I will clarify to say this: the scientific evidence shows very clearly that there exists, for African Americans in the United States, a group difference in IQ to whites in the US. For any other population groups outside the US, whether black or not, I don't think there's sufficient literature to make such a claim as yet.

Third, a simple definition of human race would be the clusters found when applying the k-means algorithm to genetic polymorphism data.

White people in the USA said that African Americans were dumb long before the IQ test was invented.

So the idea that it's only because of IQ that they believe this does not wash

If Black (AA's) are not a homogeneous group then how can you make sweeping statements about a group with such diversity ?

If you choose to call the differences in groups “races” it stretches the original meaning of the word. But let’s accept that for a moment. You want races so badly, then I shall give them to you.

But you’re going to need more races (based on genetic variance) than they culled off in the past centuries. And the races won’t be arbitrarily colour-coordinated. There will be several, several 100's, if not thousands of European races, many Asian races, and a large number of African races, whites with blacks and Asians.

In neurology no one takes IQ seriously

It is archaic and only really useful to social scientists. Neurologists who have a better understanding of how the brain works because they spend DECADES of their lives studying it they have little to no use for it, but to the public at large it is so important. Because the public is only concerned with what FEELS like it should be true rather than what is actually the case in reality.

You did not get the job ? Low IQ
You're poor ? Low IQ
Didn't do well at school ? Low IQ
You're in prison ? Low IQ
State of Africa ? Low IQ

So it's not even racism anymore, just being realistic and hard headed. See how it works ?

Any neurologist would advise you against using IQ test as a sole intelligence measure. Any geneticist would explain to you that

A) IQ and genetic markers have almost no correlation

B) That it is moronic to take one set of genes (the Haplogroup, or what we can "see" as 'color'), and correlate it with something unmeasurable genetically because it's polygenic and that the few "poly genes" we are familiar with that may correlate with intelligence are in sets of genes completely different, unrelated and randomly changing at around the same rate in all Haplos.

The irony is Alfred Binet who created IQ originally did it to see which children were not profiting from the Parisian school system, not so that they could be labelled stupid but so new educational programs could be created to help those children.

In fact he was afraid that his tests would be misused for the wrong reasons, that guy must have been psychic because once some people got a hold of it, it took on a whole new meaning.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 181
Original post by Georgie_M
I don 't know, I believe from reading on the subject (I can not believe you are telling me about not reading on a subject to be honest) that the racial differences in IQ are not because black people are genetically less intelligent. That is my own interpretation of the subject, many academics share this view otherwise I would not have been able to read it. To be honest I don't want to get in to a nature Vs nurture debate on here because it is invariably ridiculous.

Yes some scientists have that view, some have the opposite view, thats what I meant by it being an open question
(edited 10 years ago)
Why create threads like this. Guys, a bit more love. I personally don't think so. I've got a few close white friends and most of my arguments are with whites,blacks,indians basically everyone. So I won't judge or pinpoint white people in particular.
White people are cool .
Dont get me twisted now that i think about the only times i have ever had trouble it has been with them but as i said some of them are cool and i know how to deal with them .
I,e unless they put their hands on me i walk away .
On a sidenote my cousin got stabbed up by some for dating a white gyal but luckily he survived
Original post by LpoolDel
My concept of morality worrying ?

Racism is a systematic way of harming people of another group AND that requires POWER and SYSTEMS and the collective agreement by that racist group to support and participate in the mistreatment of people outside that group

The ONLY people on the planet who systematically exhibit these kind of BEHAVIORS toward people JUST because they look different no matter where they go from North America to Africa to New Zealand and Australia and back to the UK - are white people

Your concept of morality is worrying not because of your racism towards white people, but because you think that your 'eye for an eye' mentality justifies those beliefs.

Secondly, what you've described in the quote is not racism. What you've described is racial inequality. Racism is simply any discrimination or prejudice against someone because of their race. It's only relation to equality is incidental. Nowhere in the definition of racism are inequality, systematic abuse or power systems involved. Stop obscuring the lines between racism and racial inequality to make modern white people responsible for the sins of their forebears. That's not a basis for justice or morality. Unless you think jailing someone because their father was a criminal is justifiable, in which case we need to have a different discussion.

Lastly, your claim that racial inequality (as you call is, racism) occurs only due to white people is obviously bogus. Racism occurs all over the world. It's just generally an internal affair within countries, rather than global news. Hence you don't hear about it. Look at the Rwandan genocide - black people committing racial genocide against other black people just for their race. It's not a white problem, and the sooner you realise that, the better.
Our leader the Right Honourable Gordon Brown would never condone the notion that any race is inherently racist. That in itself would be racist.
Original post by Georgie_M
I did not call you a nazi, I think those views remind me of ones held by nazis, that is the view that the black population has not succeeded because of their IQ. I didn't think that was even a thing? I have read a bit on racial inequalities and have never come across such an idea.

I did indeed get confused, I apologise I was thinking of those who think there is massive differences between races when there is not.

I however have researched IQ and I do not believe that there is a massive genetic difference. I think there is a lot of evidence to support the hypothesis that cultural/economic etc. reasons cause this difference. There is evidence both sides so don't act as if I can not come back with plenty of studies also.

I have based my opinions from reading as have you so obviously we both have some ideological bias.

http://www.sciencedirect.com.ezproxy.uwe.ac.uk/science/article/pii/S0160289602000806

I can't access your link :/.

I really don't go in for ideological bias. I'm a mathematician by training, we don't tend to go for 'argument by ideology' :wink:. I have no a priori imperative to believe that races have different IQs, but nor do I have any overriding bogus 'moral' or 'equity' reasoning to say that they must be the same (not saying you do).

Clearly you've looked at the same evidence and come to a different conclusion, or perhaps we've looked at different subsets of evidence. I'm always happy to see more evidence for and against an issue, so if there's any particular studies that you think strongly support your views, please PM them to me (or post on here if you prefer, but I reckon the thread would get clogged pretty badly).
OP so cute, said 'brown' people! :smile: :o:H:h::h:

I find it quite harsh when people say 'black' but I try to ignore it...
Reply 188

Any neurologist would advise you against using IQ test as a sole intelligence measure. Any geneticist would explain to you that

You are just making things up, please stop. IQ tests are widely used in the genetics and neuroscience literature for correlating genes and brain function to general intelligence

http://www.nature.com/mp/journal/v16/n10/full/mp201185a.html
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v482/n7384/abs/nature10781.html
http://www.nature.com/mp/journal/v17/n10/abs/mp201266a.html
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0160289614000178
http://www.nature.com/mp/journal/v19/n2/full/mp2012184a.html
White people in the USA said that African Americans were dumb long before the IQ test was invented.

So the idea that it's only because of IQ that they believe this does not wash

If Black (AA's) are not a homogeneous group then how can you make sweeping statements about a group with such diversity ?

If you choose to call the differences in groups “races” it stretches the original meaning of the word. But let’s accept that for a moment. You want races so badly, then I shall give them to you.

But you’re going to need more races (based on genetic variance) than they culled off in the past centuries. And the races won’t be arbitrarily colour-coordinated. There will be several, several 100's, if not thousands of European races, many Asian races, and a large number of African races, whites with blacks and Asians.

In neurology no one takes IQ seriously

It is archaic and only really useful to social scientists. Neurologists who have a better understanding of how the brain works because they spend decades of their lives studying it have little to no use for it, but to the public at large it is so important. Because the public is only concerned with what feels like it should be true rather than what is actually the case in reality.

B) That it is moronic to take one set of genes (the Haplogroup, or what we can "see" as 'color'), and correlate it with something unmeasurable genetically because it's polygenic and that the few "poly genes" we are familiar with that may correlate with intelligence are in sets of genes completely different, unrelated and randomly changing at around the same rate in all Haplos.

The irony is Alfred Binet who created IQ originally did it to see which children weren’t profiting from the Parisian school system, not so that they could be labelled stupid but so new educational programs could be created to help those children.

In fact he was afraid that his tests would be misused for the wrong reasons, that guy must have been psychic because once some people got a hold of it, it took on a whole new meaning.

You really didn't address/understand any of the points I made. I clearly said that 'blacks' should be replaced with 'African Americans'.

Also you have demonstrated you have absolutely no idea how genetics works. You think clustering algorithms work off haplogroups. Laughable.

As for the supposition that IQ has no value, it is the single best explanatory variable of someone's future performance in life that exists. It's better than race, better than parental SES, better than height, better than pretty much everything. It is incidentally also used as the main diagnostic test of mental retardation amongst clinical psychiatrists (who are medical doctors and to be distinguished from psychologists). Despite the typical layman's belief, it has rather a lot of value.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 190
Original post by Alfissti
I think brown people are far more racist than White ones.

I agree with Kruz in a certain extent. In the past, slavery did take place. We don't need a history lesson on that.

But at this moment of time, it is quite clear there are much more interracial relationships between white and "black/asian/other" type people than there is with South Asian and "white/black/other" type people. Interracial relationships are much more accepting in the white community right now. Whereas, most South Asian parents, like my mother for example, won't allow me to date a black/white girl, and if I did, I would be going against her wishes.

It's also quite clear that in the South Asian communities, fairer = more good looking. So I slyly think South Asian parents like my mum can't stand African people tbh, because they're naturally black, which I find ludicrous. I hope, I really do hope she doesn't think like that, but with the things she says, she gives off that vybe.

I'm only stating my opinion on this, from a South Asian point of view, I agree with this comment. Our South Asian parents still think like racists, but the new generation that have grown up in the UK don't think like this. We are much more open-minded than our parents.

I must stress that I don't know if the majority of the South Asian community think like this. My mum is very traditional with her ways, because she grew up in a strict Muslim household in Bangladesh. South Asian parents can be very open to interracial relationships, but I highly doubt that they are the "traditional types".

He also basically explains away one of his points. IQ and genes have almost no correlation because intelligence is polygenetic. There are so many genes, isolating one is virtually impossible. This doesn't mean that genes don't code for intelligence. There's a lot of evidence to suggest they do (although not that race and intelligence are linked - the jury's still out there).
Original post by PythianLegume
Your concept of morality is worrying not because of your racism towards white people, but because you think that your 'eye for an eye' mentality justifies those beliefs.

Secondly, what you've described in the quote is not racism. What you've described is racial inequality. Racism is simply any discrimination or prejudice against someone because of their race. It's only relation to equality is incidental. Nowhere in the definition of racism are inequality, systematic abuse or power systems involved. Stop obscuring the lines between racism and racial inequality to make modern white people responsible for the sins of their forebears. That's not a basis for justice or morality. Unless you think jailing someone because their father was a criminal is justifiable, in which case we need to have a different discussion.

Lastly, your claim that racial inequality (as you call is, racism) occurs only due to white people is obviously bogus. Racism occurs all over the world. It's just generally an internal affair within countries, rather than global news. Hence you don't hear about it. Look at the Rwandan genocide - black people committing racial genocide against other black people just for their race. It's not a white problem, and the sooner you realise that, the better.

He reminds me of Samuel L. Jackson's character in Die Hard with a Vengeance. The store clerk who constantly rants about how awful and evil white people are and how he doesn't trust them, and when Bruce Willis finally snaps and calls him out for being a racist, he doesn't understand the reversed concept.
Reply 193
well, if you mean 'racist' as in looking down on Asians because of their race, then that just depends on your upbringing. Any educated person, white or otherwise, would never do such a thing. If, however, you mean 'racist' as in having certain views about Asians (so stereotyping basically) then all people do that, and it's not always a bad thing. Sometimes, certain stereotypes are necessary and naturally develop in our minds. For example, a teacher who knows that there is a certain student who rarely does homework will always assume that he hasn't done homework when it is set. This sort of stereotyping is good, and occurs naturally.

Although, I assume you meant 'racist' as in having backward views like, 'Asians all live in trees' or something. That's definitely not natural and is based solely on upbringing.
Original post by ClickItBack
I can't access your link :/.

I really don't go in for ideological bias. I'm a mathematician by training, we don't tend to go for 'argument by ideology' :wink:. I have no a priori imperative to believe that races have different IQs, but nor do I have any overriding bogus 'moral' or 'equity' reasoning to say that they must be the same (not saying you do).

Clearly you've looked at the same evidence and come to a different conclusion, or perhaps we've looked at different subsets of evidence. I'm always happy to see more evidence for and against an issue, so if there's any particular studies that you think strongly support your views, please PM them to me (or post on here if you prefer, but I reckon the thread would get clogged pretty badly).

Yeah I think ideology is too strong a word I just think it is important to be reflexive - to understand why you want to study something. That is why (like us) people come to different conclusions from reading similar research. You are coming at it from a mathematical perspective I am coming at it from a sociological one. While you can still critically analyse and I can still study statistics our interpretations will be different because of individual biases and perspectives.
Reply 195
nobody likes paki's. sorry.
Coming from some who is pretty much advocating black genocide that's rich.

Mandela was white man's hero.

Real leaders don't make deals with their enemy.

Mandela was not a threat to white supremacy. When your enemy begins to give you praise you are not a threat.

The whole situation in Southern Africa is that whites control all the key infrastructure, commerce and industry.

It is impossible to operate any large scale industry or agriculture without requiring support from white owned companies of some sort. That was the whole objective of the racist system that was built in South Africa, which was to consolidate all the key economic activities, trades, industries and so forth in the hands of whites, so as to make S.Africans completely dependent on them for everything.

And yet you dare sit here and think that I should weep because some whites die in a house (South Africa) that they tried to steal ?

Mandela and the ANC made far too many concessions at the expense of the masses. The Truth and reconciliation Commission was a joke. Those who committed state-sponsored crimes went unpunished. This is why Mandela is liked by the white world because he agreed that they should keep their ill-gotten gains while a few blacks were sent to Parliament for window dressing.

Mandela was the white man’s favourite politician.

Although originally a freedom fighter to liberate black South Africa from the clutches of European savagery and oppression, he ended up in bed with the architects of Apartheid !

To show their gratitude, whites, who originally branded him a terrorist, have turned him into a pop star through propaganda.

Why does this happen ?

Robert Sobukwe and Masemola are never going to be mentioned by the Western media for these are the Pan Africanist who refused to sell out.

Mandela and the ANC did not tackle the land issue, as Mugabe did in Zimbabwe, nor did he see to reap more tax revenues for urban development from the big mining conglomerates like De Beers and Anglo-American.

One can ask why whites world-wide would praise Mandela.

Mandela could just have been minimally fair-minded and sought to reduce the economic imbalance in SA but he did no such thing. In fact, when Mandela was released from prison it was on the condition that he didn't touch the economic arrangements in SA.

He kept his word to the Apartheid overlords. Bottom line: Apartheid only changed on paper. The vast majority of blacks have not seen any real economic fruits of the post-Apartheid era.

I will bless the soul of Mandela as he now travels to another world. As a human being he is no where near the following : Garvey, Lumumba, Sobukwe, Masemola, Sankara, Cabril, Mothopeng, Fanon, Nkrumah, Toure.

Pan Africanism shall liberate blacks all over the world and not endorse white imperialism, the legacy colonialism, nor provide a sugarcoated lie for the white world to further fragment the struggle for AFRICAN FREEDOM.

The white media shall always forget that Nelson Mandela, at one time, was a also demonized. A man who was prepared to die for his convictions, who did not rule out violence to see those convictions through.

That particular truth has been expunged and whitewashed.

He might end up DEPRESSINGLY being remember as The African Martin Luther King.

NOTHING is EVER achieved through love.

Your racist ramblings would suit quite well in the Black Panther Party. Who do you think you are mate, ****ing Malcom X?

Nelson Mandela dealt with white people because unlike you, he didn't see them as 'the enemy'.

Your admiration for Mugabe also shows your true colours, a man who is too deep in his self-glorification and racist nationalism to realise he's crippled his own beloved country, not only pretty much removing the majority of white people from Zimbabwe with thug militia's but also leaving the black population in desperate poverty.

Like someone mentioned earlier, stop crowing from behind your keyboard, and leave the West if you really do love not being around the 'white oppressors' as much as you claim, .... or would that awkwardly not suit you?
Wait, are there actually people who who are seriously trying to argue that people are born racist... because of their race? That's a disgusting notion!
Reply 198
Just look at history ,white people are the worst kind of human being in the world all they did was stealing/lying/rewriting history....
Original post by Tamilan0
Just look at history ,white people are the worst kind of human being in the world all they did was stealing/lying/rewriting history....

Have you actually looked at any history beyond the last 200 years of European history?

Latest

Trending

Trending