The Student Room Group

Canadian Soc anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cindylouwho
Hi! I'm from Scarborough/Toronto studying in Bristol 2012 for Law! Just wanted to pop in and say hi to everyone. Feel free to ask me questions about Toronto/Canada; have lived here 90% of my life, haha. :biggrin:

HELLO (again).

I'm from the GTA too! Psychology and philosophy at Bristol, as I put in my PM. (:
Reply 461
Canada is my favourite country in the whole world <3
I went to York, Ontario (near Toronto) for 1 month last april and next tuesday I am spending a whole 3 months in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia before I start University in Cambridge (if I get the grades) in October! O excited!
i love canadians, they are the best people ever!
Reply 462
Hey everybody,

Canadian here heading over to Scotland in the fall. Aberdeen specifically. Wondering if anybody else is heading up north?
Reply 463
I graduated from Ryerson, headed to Cranfield in september 2012!
anyone else going?
I'm just wondering... Are there any Canadians going to the UK next year for medicine? :smile:
Is anyone heading to UBC soon?
Nova Scotian here heading to Cambridge this fall. Anyone joining me?
Reply 467
Wow, so many Canadians going to the UK for uni!! How hard was it to get into a university there?
Reply 468
Original post by brunettej
Wow, so many Canadians going to the UK for uni!! How hard was it to get into a university there?

Easy

Edit: I know people who got into UK universities with barely a 70% average...doesn't seem too hard to me.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey fellow Canadians,

Come this fall I'll be applying for 2013 entry to University College London, London School of Economics, Imperial, Warwick, and King's College London for courses relating to Finance.

From what I gather, the requirements from the five schools, with respect to Ontario students, is a 90% average for 6 grade 12 marks - minimum. I'm well above this number, ~7% actually, but am curious if I'll stand a fighting chance getting into my first four choice - specifically London School of Economics, University College London, and Warwick.

Time of the questions regarding UCAS.

1. Education -> Qualification Date -- Is this the date I started my Ontario Secondary School Diploma or completed it?

2. Education -> Result -- What does 'Completed Qual' mean?

3. Education -> Module / Unit 1 -- Do I just fill these out with my top grade 12 marks + pre-requisites?

4. Do I only need to submit my grade 12 marks + my grade 12 pre-requisites? Each of my universities only needs 6 university or university/college marks totalling an average of 90%.

I, like a few others, didn't do so hot in grade 11 because it doesn't matter for Canadian universities. I'd prefer not to include these marks unless asked.

5. Will schools that base acceptance on grade 12 marks not accept me because of poor grade 11 marks?

6. Can I apply to Oxford/Cambridge with OSSD marks? Do they look at grades 9 - 12 or just 12?

Thanks!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 470
You may want to contact a UCAS advisor in Canada (i.e. someone like the Canada law from abroad website) who can assist you in this process and clarify your questions, however in the meantime I'll put my two thoughts in below.

Original post by Extensity

1. Education -> Qualification Date -- Is this the date I started my Ontario Secondary School Diploma or completed it? Date Qualification is obtained; so the date you will be completed your OSSD

2. Education -> Result -- What does 'Completed Qual' mean? Completed qualification.

3. Education -> Module / Unit 1 -- Do I just fill these out with my top grade 12 marks + pre-requisites? Yes, although some universities may wish you for to include all your high school marks; email their admissions advisers to clarify.

4. Do I only need to submit my grade 12 marks + my grade 12 pre-requisites? Each of my universities only needs 6 university or university/college marks totalling an average of 90%. Then only enter your grade 12 marks if that's what they're seeking.

5. Will schools that base acceptance on grade 12 marks not accept me because of poor grade 11 marks? Depends what poor is; obviously this is highly subjective.

6. Can I apply to Oxford/Cambridge with OSSD marks? Do they look at grades 9 - 12 or just 12? Yes you can apply. Again, it is my understanding most schools want to see all your marks from 9-12, not merely your 12 marks, but do contact the college at Oxbridge that you're interested in for further information and guidance.

Best of luck on your applications.
Original post by KirstyK
You may want to contact a UCAS advisor in Canada (i.e. someone like the Canada law from abroad website) who can assist you in this process and clarify your questions, however in the meantime I'll put my two thoughts in below.

Thank you for your reply!
Reply 472
Original post by KirstyK
Easy

Always thought/heard of the opposite ,
are the uni/living expenses pretty high?
Reply 473
Original post by brunettej
Always thought/heard of the opposite,
are the uni/living expenses pretty high?

Yes. In my opinion, I found it to be exceptionally high. Bear in mind the North/South divide plays a huge role in this too.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 474
Does anyone know what are the chances of getting your student visa denied?

Im asking this because my start date is 27th Sept 2012 and the ticket prices for my flight are increasing fast!
I would have bought my ticket 2 months ago at $350 but I'm waiting for the university to issue my CAS# and now it is $550 for the flight.

I read the criteria and they say things most likely to cause visa denial is lack of funds.
I have secured enough funding for my year, is there anything else I need to bear in mind?

Is it ill advised to buy my flight ticket now without getting my visa approved first?
Reply 475
Original post by ncorda

I have secured enough funding for my year, is there anything else I need to bear in mind?

Is it ill advised to buy my flight ticket now without getting my visa approved first?

As long as you have all your Ps and Qs in order in your application, it's highly unlikely it'd be rejected.

As long as you have your funding accounted for and you're going to be attended a valid uni, then I'm sure you shouldn't have any issues.

May as well book your flight if you ask my opinion.
Original post by ncorda

Im asking this because my start date is 27th Sept 2012 and the ticket prices for my flight are increasing fast!
I would have bought my ticket 2 months ago at $350 but I'm waiting for the university to issue my CAS# and now it is $550 for the flight.

I read the criteria and they say things most likely to cause visa denial is lack of funds.

it's rather unlikely that you'll get rejected if your application was complete and fulfill their requirements.

When did you submit your visa application? You shouldn't be worried if it has only been a week or two.
Original post by Extensity
I, like a few others, didn't do so hot in grade 11 because it doesn't matter for Canadian universities. I'd prefer not to include these marks unless asked.

5. Will schools that base acceptance on grade 12 marks not accept me because of poor grade 11 marks?

Thanks!

Are you finished high school already? If so, then you may not be required to submit your grade 11 marks... but the universities will probably still want to see them, to see if you're a consistent marks achiever.

Also, on the UCAS application you have to check off that you've entered in all qualifications so far, which would include your grades 9 to 11 marks. To stay on the safe side, and not have your application rejected for a stupid reason, you should enter in all your marks from high school.

Original post by ncorda

I bought my flight ticket weeks ago (more than a month), and I haven't yet sent my visa application. It's risky, I know, but even if your visa does get rejected (and hopefully it doesn't!) the cancellation fee of the tickets is outweighed by the savings you'd make by booking now.
Reply 478
Original post by sumergocogito
it's rather unlikely that you'll get rejected if your application was complete and fulfill their requirements.

When did you submit your visa application? You shouldn't be worried if it has only been a week or two.

I have not submitted the visa application yet as I dont have my CAS# from Cranfield University.

But yes I have booked my flight already as the cancellation fees are much less than what the ticket price could go upto in a few weeks!
Reply 479
Original post by KirstyK
As long as you have all your Ps and Qs in order in your application, it's highly unlikely it'd be rejected.

P's and Q's in order? What do you mean by that?

And yes I have booked the flight! So I hope everything goes smoothly

Quick Reply

Latest