The Student Room Group

Quorn

I'm not a veggie but the only meat I eat is chicken and occasionally turkey. I've noticed that quite a few people on here seem to eat Quorn quite regularly and was just curious as to people's opinions of it. So - have you tried it? Did you like it? Which products are your favourite? Any info would be appreciated, I'm going to get some next time I go shopping but I don't know which to try first!

Ooh also - do the 'pork style' things taste anything like pork? Same for chicken, etc.. is it just the style that would usually be made with pork or does it actually taste similar?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not really to be honest. They're fine if you have something with it, or have with a sauce. On their own they're very bland, bit like eating cardboard.
Reply 2
squirly
I'm not a veggie but the only meat I eat is chicken and occasionally turkey. I've noticed that quite a few people on here seem to eat Quorn quite regularly and was just curious as to people's opinions of it. So - have you tried it? Did you like it? Which products are your favourite? Any info would be appreciated, I'm going to get some next time I go shopping but I don't know which to try first!

Ooh also - do the 'pork style' things taste anything like pork? Same for chicken, etc.. is it just the style that would usually be made with pork or does it actually taste similar?

I'm not a veggie but quite like it! The little diced up frozen pieces are really good in stir-frys use soy sauce and that sort of thing. you can basically put it in any dish you would use chicken for! Great on kebabs on the BBQ in summer!
Reply 3
Quorn is not particularly tasty.

As well as tasting bland, some of the stuff has a real rubber-like texture too.
Reply 4
Hmm I like the Frozen chunks to go in curry. The "chicken nuggets" are nice too. You can get mince as well for lasagne/spagetti bolognaise etc.
I only ever use it for fajitas, and I dump so much chilli on it that I can't really taste it.
Reply 6
As my sister and I are vegetarians we buy a lot of Quorn products and love it! We recommend the chicken burgers as they taste and look like real chicken but are healthy.
Quorn sausages taste like real sausages and Quorn mince tastes like real mince. In my opinion.
Reply 8
Some of it is a bit dodgy and rubbery but most of the replacements for regular meat taste exactly the same if not better than their meat counterparts.
Reply 9
Being veggi,I am really hesitant to try it - because I just assumed it tastes like meat :s
Hmm maybe I should give it a go!
We have quorn burgers, quorn sausages and quorn nuggets regularly and they're all yummy, the quorn cottage pies are nice too
Reply 11
I like the chicken quorn
We get it over here. I like it with green chile salsa.
I've had quorn in the UK but in the US I usually eat Boca products.

I'm not veggie either but I've started eating veggie burgers for dinner about once a week. They have only 80 calories! I eat them with no bun and with a big pile of sweet pottato fries (which I will miss SOO much when I come to the UK) and BBQ sauce, the whole meal is still under 350 calories.
Reply 14
im a veggie and use it a lot specially the mince and the deli style ham for sandwiches, it has a unique taste but i wouldnt call it bland or cardboard like...

it it prolly best to marinate it or cook it in a sauce...also i find it burns quickly when frying or grilling and dont try it in the microwave the burger melted to my plate
Reply 15
Quorn is surprisingly high in salt ... it's quite nice though, I get the Quorn 'chicken' dippers and sometimes Quorn mince. :smile:
Reply 16
i love quorn. no, it does not taste like meat. but the taste of it is good and f you're looking for a meat replacement because the recipe requires something with a meat-like texture then it's good. but...obviously, dont expect to buy quorn chargrilled burger thingys and expect it to taste like beef. it obviously wont.

i like to use quorn pieces to make a stir-fry. fry off some of the pieces in a one teaspoon of oil with paprika and herbs like basil and thyme. add cooked broccoli, cashew nuts, peas and sliced bell peppers. then serve with some brown basmati rice. it tastes really good.

quorn pieces are really good because you can just throw them into practically anything to make up the protein in your food. you can use them for fajitas, eat them with chips, add them to rice, soups, tomatoe or white sauces for pasta etc. you can cook it in a number of ways - microwave, add them frozen to the pot if you're already cooking, fry some off. its a really good quality product, around £1.99 i think.
The burgers are crap, and I've recently tried the quorn sausage rolls. My verdict: Don't bother.

But the quorn pieces are great for use in stuff like fajitas.
Reply 18
i eat LOADS of quorn, but only the products that don't taste like meat (peppered steaks, burgers, sausages etc).Although i really like the pepper and cheese quorn burger cause it doesn't taste like meat at all and is yummy with beans :smile:
BlackpoolCraig
I've recently tried the quorn sausage rolls. My verdict: Don't bother.

OMG i love the sausage rolls i eat two at a time all the time!:biggrin:

I have everything quorn, I don't like their normal burgers but love the southern fried and chicken ones and i eat the sausages and mince and the quorn pieces are great in a curry and my nan makes great motzerella chicken with quorn fillets. The quorn chicken roll is okay too.

Latest