The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Avoid the 'filets'. Nuggets are good. Sausages are not very good. The 'peices' are worse than this. Mince is nice.
shady lane
I've had quorn in the UK but in the US I usually eat Boca products.

I'm not veggie either but I've started eating veggie burgers for dinner about once a week. They have only 80 calories! I eat them with no bun and with a big pile of sweet pottato fries (which I will miss SOO much when I come to the UK) and BBQ sauce, the whole meal is still under 350 calories.

...We have sweet potatoes too, we're surprisingly civilised.

I like quorn mince, don't like the burgers, the chicken pieces are ok in a lot of sauce but taste like the ming going off chicken bits you get on a chicken.
I guess you just have to put a lot of flavours in these things.
FireDeuce
...We have sweet potatoes too, we're surprisingly civilised.

I like quorn mince, don't like the burgers, the chicken pieces are ok in a lot of sauce but taste like the ming going off chicken bits you get on a chicken.
I guess you just have to put a lot of flavours in these things.

Hah, I meant frozen sweet potato fries, sold at supermarkets in bags. In the UK I've never seen that, meaning I'd have to do all the work myself :frown:
Reply 23
Quorn owns!
the quorn fillets taste great if you cut them into strips, add mayo, pepper, sweetcorn and salad and put that into a wrap
Reply 24
I loved Quorn when i first became Veggie and ate it lots - then i found out what it actually is and wont eat it now!

There's been a lot of controversy over it - it's made from a fungus which is actually a disease - quoting from Wikipedia: "Quorn is made from the soil mold Fusarium venenatum strain PTA-2684".

I don't like the idea of eating a 'mold/disease of plants' and plus Quorn uses eggs which i don't eat anymore (origionally they used battery eggs, thankfully they now use free range).
Reply 25
I don't particularly like the pork or beef flavoured quorn - it doesn't taste like beef, the chicken stuff is really nice though. We had some tomato and basil quorn sausages and that tasted good - they didn't try to make it taste like meat, I think I prefer spicy bean burgers and vegan stuff really - I'm vegetarian myself. no harm in trying though - some of the soya stuff (e.g. Linda McCartney sausages) I personally prefer to the quorn alternatives
Reply 26
The burgers make a great umm burger :p:
Reply 27
I'm allergic to it, everytime I eat it I have awful stomach cramps, the runs and throw up loads, not good, aparently its quite common too - google it. As someone else said it is made from a fungi from soil, not mushrooms like they like you to think and its so over processed! Yuck yuck yuck!
Reply 28
ninetails
Quorn owns!
the quorn fillets taste great if you cut them into strips, add mayo, pepper, sweetcorn and salad and put that into a wrap

Yum! Might have to try that.

I've only really had the burgers, and they're pretty good.
Reply 29
Quorn mince when used with other food tastes the exact same as real mince, same texture too. Since my mum is vegeterian, we use that to please everyone.
Reply 30
Coombe
I loved Quorn when i first became Veggie and ate it lots - then i found out what it actually is and wont eat it now!

There's been a lot of controversy over it - it's made from a fungus which is actually a disease - quoting from Wikipedia: "Quorn is made from the soil mold Fusarium venenatum strain PTA-2684".

I don't like the idea of eating a 'mold/disease of plants' and plus Quorn uses eggs which i don't eat anymore (origionally they used battery eggs, thankfully they now use free range).

That makes me want to eat it more.
I really love Quorn

The Chicken Fillets, Meatballs, Burgers, Mince and Lemon Pepper pieces are all great!
Reply 32
Ok is quorn tofu or what?
Reply 33
shady lane
Hah, I meant frozen sweet potato fries, sold at supermarkets in bags. In the UK I've never seen that, meaning I'd have to do all the work myself :frown:
*shares your pain*
Segat1
Ok is quorn tofu or what?

Nope. tofu is essentially a processed substance obtained from soya beans. It lacks flavour on it sown, but in cooking tofu, it is regarded as a "flavour sponge" of sorts, in that it will gain the flavour of what you cook it with.

Quorn, on the flipside, is a trademark owned by marlow foods, and refers to a processed food made primarily from mycoprotein, which is based on the fusarium venenatum fungus.

In the UK, Quorn is synonymous with vegetarianism in much the same way that tofu is synonymous with vegetarianism in the USA. Whereas tofu is more a staple of health-nuts in the UK. However, quorn is not actually suitable for vegans, as it has eggs in it.
Reply 35
Sarah:-)
I'm allergic to it, everytime I eat it I have awful stomach cramps, the runs and throw up loads, not good, aparently its quite common too - google it. As someone else said it is made from a fungi from soil, not mushrooms like they like you to think and its so over processed! Yuck yuck yuck!

Yeah it does apparently make some people ill too. Personally i just like to eat food which i know wont harm me - i.e it has been around forever and there aren't any signs of harmful effects to people.

Here's an extract from the guardian:
The centre argued it was in fact produced in fermentation vats from a non-mushroom fungus. Its executive director, Michael Jacobsen, said: "It is a fungus and should be labelled as such."

Tim Lang, professor of food policy at Thames Valley University, backed up Dr Jacobsen. "If Marlow Foods want us to eat its fungus patties, the least they should do is not pretend the product is made from mushrooms." He also urged the food agency to take seriously reports about diarrhoea and vomiting.

Sir John in a letter to Dr Jacobsen, said the agency was aware of a "small number" of people who experienced stomach upsets and diarrhoea after eating Quorn. "These symptoms are likely to be an intolerance reaction in isolated individuals."

Segat1, Tofu and Quorn (which is mycoprotein) are not the same. Here's a page detailing all the different veggie substitutes:

http://www.vegsoc.org/info/soya.html

I've also heard/read up on soya and it's supposed harmful effects lol - hmm, i just want to keep clear of fake meats from now on :smile:
Reply 36
Quorn tasts like paper to me i hate it.
Reply 37
I dont like the pieces or mince but the sausage rolls etc are nice :smile:
Reply 38
Kowhai
As my sister and I are vegetarians we buy a lot of Quorn products and love it! We recommend the chicken burgers as they taste and look like real chicken but are healthy.

Not necessarily true. Surely for it to taste like chicken or whatever it must be pumped full of chemicals?
I used to eat a lot before I became a vegan, but found that it often made me feel rather ill.

Latest