The Student Room Group

Quick dihedral question

Hi for a dihedral group where r represents a rotation and s a reflection what does rs mean?

Is it a rotation followed by a reflection?

Or a reflection followed by a rotation?

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
also is the rotation r clockwise or anticlockwise?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by number23
Hi for a dihedral group where r represents a rotation and s a reflection what does rs mean?

Is it a rotation followed by a reflection?

Or a reflection followed by a rotation?

Thanks!

We consider them to be like functions acting on the polygon. Hence rsrs means "perform s, then r" - that is, it's the reflection and then the rotation. Much like fg(x)fg(x) is f applied to g(x)g(x).

also is the rotation r clockwise or anticlockwise?

It doesn't really matter - just pick a direction and stick to it. I'm not even aware of a convention about this, because it turns out to be quite rare in practice that the orientation of the rotation matters. After all, if you define it one way, I can always look from the "other side of the table" (picture: you've drawn the shape on a glass table with rotation defined clockwise; I crawl under the table and look up, and see the same shape with the same transformations but with rotation defined anticlockwise).
Reply 3
Original post by Smaug123
We consider them to be like functions acting on the polygon. Hence rsrs means "perform s, then r" - that is, it's the reflection and then the rotation. Much like fg(x)fg(x) is f applied to g(x)g(x).

It doesn't really matter - just pick a direction and stick to it. I'm not even aware of a convention about this, because it turns out to be quite rare in practice that the orientation of the rotation matters. After all, if you define it one way, I can always look from the "other side of the table" (picture: you've drawn the shape on a glass table with rotation defined clockwise; I crawl under the table and look up, and see the same shape with the same transformations but with rotation defined anticlockwise).

Thanks I've done a few practice questions and it doesn't seem like orientation does not matters.

Also, if you were asked to find the conjugacy classes for a group, say S3, is there a quick way to do this? Do you find the class for each elements and perform all the cycle multiplications (because this takes me forever)?

Thanks so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also, if you were asked to find the conjugacy classes for a group, say S3, is there a quick way to do this? Do you find the class for each elements and perform all the cycle multiplications (because this takes me forever)?

There is a theorem about this. Do you know the theorem that "KK is a conjugacy class in SnS_n iff all elements of KK share the same cycle type and no other elements from SnKS_n - K have that cycle type"?
Reply 5
Original post by Smaug123
There is a theorem about this. Do you know the theorem that "KK is a conjugacy class in SnS_n iff all elements of KK share the same cycle type and no other elements from SnKS_n - K have that cycle type"?

Ah ok, so the conjugacy class of a permutation with a certain shape is the set of all elements with that shape

Thanks I get it now

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest