The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by arks_007
Could u tel me the main point for cloning in plants?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As in asexual reproduction or micropropogation?
Could u tel me the main point for cloning in plants?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i believe that the main point of cloning plants is to make sure that theres no variation, so that you only get plants which are identical (so that all plants produced have the 'desired' characteristic, if that makes any sense!!) :smile:
its a quick method which doesn't require a lot of space and can be done at any time of the year!!

hope ive helped out in some way HAHA, but good luck to you (and everyone else doing the exam tomorrow) we can do it hehehe
Original post by Bazbaz
Apparently this paper will be quite hard as the chemistry one was easy? Was the Physics paper hard? I only do Biology so I have no idea...

i did the 1PR and 1CR paper last week (technically its the same as 1P and 1C but we just do the ones with an 'R' cos we're in a diff region) and personally i found the chemistry paper more challenging than the physics one...(and ive heard across TSR that thats the same case for the people who did 1P and 1C)

anyway, its just my personal opinion :P good luck to you for the exam tomorrow!! :smile:
Do we need to know natural selection and the formation of new species page 215 of the edexcel IGCSE biology textbook??

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are the differences between natural selection and selective breeding?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bazbaz
Apparently this paper will be quite hard as the chemistry one was easy? Was the Physics paper hard? I only do Biology so I have no idea...

Many people found it really hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by D_Vadgama
What are the differences between natural selection and selective breeding?

Posted from TSR Mobile

selective breeding is when humans (ie farmers) decide whats the desired characteristic that they want to reproduce

natural selection is 'the survival of the fittest' - ones which are well adapted to their environment survive, the ones that aren't as well adapted (ie cannot survive and easily dies) eventually dies off and becomes extinct..!

(this is just the brief/main diff AHAHAH didnt really go into much detail but you get what i mean :smile:)
Original post by cutibess
selective breeding is when humans (ie farmers) decide whats the desired characteristic that they want to reproduce

natural selection is 'the survival of the fittest' - ones which are well adapted to their environment survive, the ones that aren't as well adapted (ie cannot survive and easily dies) eventually dies off and becomes extinct..!

(this is just the brief/main diff AHAHAH didnt really go into much detail but you get what i mean :smile:)

Thanks so much! It was really helpful
Is there any difference which we can talk about change over many generations or something like that??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Original post by Bazbaz

Found physics waaay more harder than chemistry, which was still really hard as well:/
Original post by D_Vadgama
Thanks so much! It was really helpful
Is there any difference which we can talk about change over many generations or something like that??

Posted from TSR Mobile

My teacher said for natural selection you should included this:

Random Mutation of a gene cause Variation in the species. This mutated gene may be Advantageous. This means that the organism with it is more likely to survive while the un-mutated will die. If he/she survives they will then be more likely to Reproduce and pass the gene on. This will continue over many generations and the mutated gene will become concentrated- much of the population will have it.

I don't know if there's and acronym you could come up with to help remember that (like CORMS which I found really useful btw thanks zrk2014) but that should get you the marks. they're usually 5 or 6 mark questions I think, and you have to refer to the example in the question.

Hope that help s:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tiannasaurus.rex
My teacher said for natural selection you should included this:

Random Mutation of a gene cause Variation in the species. This mutated gene may be Advantageous. This means that the organism with it is more likely to survive while the un-mutated will die. If he/she survives they will then be more likely to Reproduce and pass the gene on. This will continue over many generations and the mutated gene will become concentrated- much of the population will have it.

I don't know if there's and acronym you could come up with to help remember that (like CORMS which I found really useful btw thanks zrk2014) but that should get you the marks. they're usually 5 or 6 mark questions I think.

Hope that help s:smile:

A acronym would be too much for this but its not that hard to remember. Anyways thanks so much, really helped.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys do we need to know in details about how restriction enzymes cut DNA? The straight cut and staggered cut part in the textbook.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys,
I know it's kinda late now but for those who don't know Click4biology. He explains the whole specification.
http://www.youtube.com/user/click4biology

And here's the specification (which includes videos from Click4Biology and other biology videos too)
http://www.onlinemathlearning.com/gcse-biology.html

Good luck to everyone tomorrow !!:smile:
any of yous done the Jan 14? if so, what did you get? (I can't access it, so I just want to determine how easy it was)
Are you all doing the exam in the morning or afternoon?
Is bread making in our syllabus for igcse edexcel biology
Reply 57
Original post by ilovemusic386
any of yous done the Jan 14? if so, what did you get? (I can't access it, so I just want to determine how easy it was)

I just did that paper and got 108/120 ish, it was much easier than previous past papers in my opinion
Is bread making in our syllabus for igcse edexcel biology

Yeah I guess so........
Original post by sid11
I just did that paper and got 108/120 ish, it was much easier than previous past papers in my opinion

doing june 13 now, do u reckon I should do 2014 next or go back to 2012 paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending