The Student Room Group

Linear Algebra Isotropic Subspaces

Q.JPG

Stumped on the last part of a question which is above.

Any help is appreciated.
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Original post by fkhan100
Q.JPG

Stumped on the last part of a question which is above.

Any help is appreciated.

That whole paper was an absolute train-wreck for me :frown: I would also be interested in seeing this answer! (For completeness, it's question 10 here.)
I'm going to assume you have no problem finding an isotropic subspace of dimension (nσ)/2(n - |\sigma|) / 2, and you're problem is showing it can't be bigger.

Since B is non-degenerate, we can find an integer k and basis v_1, ...v_k, v_k+1, ..., v_n s,t, the matrix of B w.r.t. this basis is diagonal with the first k entries 1 and the remaining n-k entries -1. (You probably already did this in earlier parts of the question, but as I'm just doing the last bit I need to set up the notation).

Now take v in V'. Then in particular we have B(v, v) = 0. We can of course write v=λiviv = \sum \lambda_i v_i for some \lambda_i. So define a linear map P from V' to span(v_1, ..., v_k) by P(v)=1kλiviP(v) = \sum_1^k \lambda_i v_i.
Then if P(v) = 0, we must have \lambda_1 = ... = \lambda_k = 0. But then B(v,v)=k+1nλi2B(v, v) = -\sum_{k+1}^n \lambda_i ^2 and so all these \lambda_i are 0 too.

So ker(P) = 0, so dim(V') <= k.
A similar argument says that also dim(V') <= n - k.

Since σ=2kn\sigma = 2k - n a bit of algebraic manipulation shows no isotropic subspace can have dimension more than (nσ)/2(n - |\sigma|) / 2
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Smaug123
That whole paper was an absolute train-wreck for me

Yep that was a tricky paper. You did it as a mock I take it? How many questions did you end up completing? Having only one (or two max) questions per paper on each course makes things a bit more tricky :tongue:
Original post by fkhan100
Yep that was a tricky paper. You did it as a mock I take it? How many questions did you end up completing? Having only one (or two max) questions per paper on each course makes things a bit more tricky :tongue:

I got an alpha, possibly two, and maybe three betas. The rest of that year was disconcertingly easy to do as a first mock - I actually got quite worried because I was doing so well on them :P
Original post by DFranklin
Just out of interest, if you don't mind, how come you can do/remember all of this after so many years of having done it last? I find that really impressive!
Original post by Elysǐum
Just out of interest, if you don't mind, how come you can do/remember all of this after so many years of having done it last? I find that really impressive!
Confession time: I was frustrated on this one, because I'd say it was actually a fairly "standard" question when I did the IB Tripos, and I couldn't remember how to do it. So I googled it! The solution I found was a bit vague but had the critical step (projection map from the isotropic subspace to the "+ve" span space), I basically took that bit and reworked the rest.

Quick Reply

Latest