The Student Room Group

Easy Maths modules at University

I've just finished my first year of Mathematics, have received my results and now need to choose my modules for the second semester of the coming year.

I would like some information from former 2nd years as to what are the easier modules to take. I have an idea that the more statistics/finance-oriented modules are generally easier, so may even switch to the Maths with Mathematical Finance course.

For a better idea of what I mean by easy/easier. In first year it is possible to do well in courses simply by learning what to predict from the three or so past papers provided. A comprehensive understanding nor mastery of the course is not required at all. Does this trend continue for at least some courses following first year?
Statistics is a piece of p*ss, you need nothing more than basic calculus.
Original post by Dot.Cotton
Statistics is a piece of p*ss, you need nothing more than basic calculus.

I assume that goes for the Statistical Methods course we got.

And what modules are particularly hard-er; for the sake of comparison. I've heard Real and Complex analysis is for instance, though that's compulsory.
Original post by TheFuture001
I assume that goes for the Statistical Methods course we got.

And what modules are particularly hard-er; for the sake of comparison. I've heard Real and Complex analysis is for instance, though that's compulsory.

Even graduate level statistics requires little more than bare-bones calculus and linear algebra.

Generally the more proof-based a module is, the more people struggle with it. On a scale of easy to hard, areas of maths would likely go something like Statistics-Probability-Applied Maths-Algebra-Analysis.
Even graduate level statistics requires little more than bare-bones calculus and linear algebra.

Generally the more proof-based a module is, the more people struggle with it. On a scale of easy to hard, areas of maths would likely go something like Statistics-Probability-Applied Maths-Algebra-Analysis.

I see. Thanks for your help :smile:

What year are you btw, or have you graduated?
Reply 5

Probability theory is very measure-theoretic and involves a lot of analysis at a higher level. It's ridiculous to say that statistics or probability is any easier or harder than algebra or analysis, given that all these areas are huge and encompass a lot of branches of maths. There's no reason to say analysis is any harder or easier than algebra; it depends on the person and the subject you're doing.
Our Probability second year unit with discrete and continuous markov chains is sooo hard, mainly due to the proofs
Reply 7
I know this is old, but what is easy and hard in math is very individual. I found the math in Operations Research easy, but what was hard, for me at least, was converting a problem into one that could be solved by operations research. Usually, Analysis is considered hard. I was really worried about it, but surprisingly, it was a snap for me, and I loved it. I did all the analysis options I could. I did all the Stats options not because I liked it or found it easy, but the professor was such a funny guy I was hooked.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest