The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RealistZ
How so ??????

June 2009 question 2C identical question; i've posted the answer above this post
Original post by ThePrestigeUK
June 2009 question 2C identical question; i've posted the answer above this post

So if u didn't mention metallic bonding would I get all marks??
So if u didn't mention metallic bonding would I get all marks??

I guess so I don't see why not I didn't include it.

If a question is identical from one year to the next and same marks and wording etc etc, loads of people who have done past papers would have wrote that answer so they should really be awarding 5 marks.

I really don't see how it will be 3/2 marks or then they would of said comment on structure explaining the conductivity. It simply said state conductivity in the three forms/compounds so simply stating them and explaining nothing to do with structure I believe.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
What are the marks then?

(c) Compare and explain the electrical conductivities of sodium and sodium oxide in the solid and
liquid states.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/61530-question-paper-unit-f321-01-atoms-bonds-and-groups.pdf

Click on the link above to see the question in June 2009 paper.

The question wanted to know that
Sodium Oxide solid- Doesn't conduct elec(1) because ions are fixed(1)
Sodium Oxide liquid- Does conduct elec(1) because ions are mobile(1)
Sodium- Does conduct elec because delocalised elec are free to move and hence they can conduct elec.
How so ??????

(c) Compare and explain the electrical conductivities of sodium and sodium oxide in the solid and
liquid states.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/61530-question-paper-unit-f321-01-atoms-bonds-and-groups.pdf

Sodium- Does conduct elec because delocalised elec are free to move and hence they can conduct elec.
Original post by WesterosWildling
Did the question explicitly mention structure? Because I mainly talked about conductivity but my answers are normally quite wordy so i may have referenced it somewhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The question wasn't about structure.
It was about why/why not does each structure conduct elec i.e. whats within the structure that helps it conduct elec. ions, electrons etc

marks for identifying which structure does
and marks for explaining why in terms of ions or elec
Original post by RebelV005
liquid states.

If the marks are allocated like that then I'll have 4/5... So I hope so.
June 2009 question 2
liquid states.
sodium is a (good) conductor because it has mobile
electrons OR delocalised electrons OR electrons can move
sodium oxide does not conduct as a solid
sodium oxide conducts when it is a liquid
ions cannot move in a solid
ions can move
OR
are mobile when liquid

I wrote this exact model answers and I think it should be 5 marks if it's the identical question and they told us specifically about conductivity; fair enough if they said comment on the structure but I just remembered this question from a past paper and wrote out the mark scheme answer :biggrin:

You seem familiar with marks schemes. Can you help me out please-
For the question on the last page with equations-

reaction 1: Ba + 2H2O à Ba(OH)2 +H2
Reaction 2: Ba3N2 +6H20 à 3Ba(OH)2 +2NH3

Will I gain no marks if I wrote the equations other way around accidently? i.e.
reaction 1:Ba3N2 +6H20 à 3Ba(OH)2 +2NH3
Reaction 2:
Ba + 2H2O à Ba(OH)2 +H2
Even though the 2 reactions have completely different balancing and one has Ba3N2, so you can clearly tell it was an accident even though I got the equations right! Examines are usually harsh with chem. just wondering whether 3 marks go down the drain
You seem familiar with marks schemes. Can you help me out please-
For the question on the last page with equations-

reaction 1: Ba + 2H2O à Ba(OH)2 +H2
Reaction 2: Ba3N2 +6H20 à 3Ba(OH)2 +2NH3

Will I gain no marks if I wrote the equations other way around accidently? i.e.
reaction 1:Ba3N2 +6H20 à 3Ba(OH)2 +2NH3
Reaction 2:
Ba + 2H2O à Ba(OH)2 +H2
Even though the 2 reactions have completely different balancing and one has Ba3N2, so you can clearly tell it was an accident even though I got the equations right! Examines are usually harsh with chem. just wondering whether 3 marks go down the drain

Maybe 1/3 , I don't know about that because that's solely down to the marker / team leader, scientifically what you stated is incorrect but there are marks for BOD (benefit of the doubt) and they can be applied considering slip-ups are common due to lack of time/pressure of the exams but they're not explicitly used or it would just mean they're marking wrong answers right if you know what I mean.
Maybe 1/3 , I don't know about that because that's solely down to the marker / team leader, scientifically what you stated is incorrect but there are marks for BOD (benefit of the doubt) and they can be applied considering slip-ups are common due to lack of time/pressure of the exams but they're not explicitly used or it would just mean they're marking wrong answers right if you know what I mean.

Hmm looks like the lack of time costed me 3 marks.
Thanks anyway
Hmm looks like the lack of time costed me 3 marks.
Thanks anyway

No problem, I made so many errors I think the best I have is 46 (hoping 48 is an A) really messed up but the next one is the big daddy 50% decent A in that and I'm back on top of it :biggrin:
Reply 91
for question 6)a)ii)
i put just Ra instead of RaCo3
do you think i will get the mark?
Reply 92
In question 3 I used 0.8 instead of 0.08 the entire way through, will I lose all 6 marks?
Reply 93
Original post by HTKeep
In question 3 I used 0.8 instead of 0.08 the entire way through, will I lose all 6 marks?

You will probably lose one of the marks on the first part, then gain the marks for error carried forward (providing everything else is correct)
Original post by jimyjamy
for question 6)a)ii)
i put just Ra instead of RaCo3
do you think i will get the mark?

no
Reply 95
Original post by RoryV
You will probably lose one of the marks on the first part, then gain the marks for error carried forward (providing everything else is correct)

The 0.08 was given in the question so I wasn't sure they would award me anything. That's what I get for rushing and not reading properly I suppose. Thanks
For 6 (b) (the water of crystallisation one) can anyone explain to me why it was •2H2O?

I got the moles correct but used the calculator value when I put it in the calculator; I got •3H2O. I was probably being massively thick and panicking because time was running out though :colondollar: I did 0.08 ÷ 0.0245 and got around about 3 and didnt have time to do much else to it so just left it as that. Was I missing out some information from the question that I needed to use to get to 2? Thanks
Reply 97
Original post by violetquinn
For 6 (b) (the water of crystallisation one) can anyone explain to me why it was •2H2O?

I got the moles correct but used the calculator value when I put it in the calculator; I got •3H2O. I was probably being massively thick and panicking because time was running out though :colondollar: I did 0.08 ÷ 0.0245 and got around about 3 and didnt have time to do much else to it so just left it as that. Was I missing out some information from the question that I needed to use to get to 2? Thanks

You did the same thing I did, the 0.08 is correct but you worked out the moles of substance left after water was removed, you were supposed to just use the 5.*** number they gave you NOT minus the g of water. This would have given you something along the lines of 0.08/0.02 ish and therefore 4. You then minus this from the original 6 and get 2. Too bad I didn't realise that in the exam either aha
I flipped the percentages for empirical just looked at a past paper mark scheme they award one mark if the percentages are flipped , 1/3 better than my initial reaction of 0/3 haha such a noob, I think I just was in such a rush I forgot what I was doing
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by HTKeep
You did the same thing I did, the 0.08 is correct but you worked out the moles of substance left after water was removed, you were supposed to just use the 5.*** number they gave you NOT minus the g of water. This would have given you something along the lines of 0.08/0.02 ish and therefore 4. You then minus this from the original 6 and get 2. Too bad I didn't realise that in the exam either aha

Ahh we obviously thought too far into it then! I must admit I knew 3.2... wasn't the right answer but just simply didn't have time to mess around trying other things out :/ ah well hopefully got 1 or 2 working marks somewhere

Latest

Trending

Trending