The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Chemistry Unit 1 - June 10th 2014 *OFFICIAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by craigrose98
thanks, just what I was looking for :biggrin: Think it's ethe​ne and steam???

Whats ethane and steam?
Hi, can someone please explain the Miller-Urey experiment for me please? Nothing's sticking today!:frown:
Original post by 21sophie21
Hi, can someone please explain the Miller-Urey experiment for me please? Nothing's sticking today!:frown:

heya, its basically a process in which scientists 'miller and urey' were trying to re-create Earth's early atmosphere and see how/if life was formed (which it was - amino acids were formed)

here is a diagram :smile:

--the electricity sparks represent lghtning
--gases in the atmospere (the circular glass thing) were roughly CO2, Nitrogen, (i think oxygen) and a mixture of other gases, such as Argon etc

They took the gases that were thought in the early atmoshere (Nitrogen, CO2, Ammonia, Methane and water vapour) and added electrical sparks to them. The result was that 11 amino acids were formed.

Bit basic, but there you go!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AnonymousNerd
I just did my real GCSE Chemistry Unit 1 exam today. We did it 1 day earlier because the school is have a teachers strike. It was incredibly hard! I wish I had revised 'Phytomining'. It was a 6 mark question and I didn't know what it was, so I guessed it was combustion of a virus! How silly of me! :frown:

Let me know how others found it :frown:

What at other questions came up
I just did my real GCSE Chemistry Unit 1 exam today. We did it 1 day earlier because the school is have a teachers strike. It was incredibly hard! I wish I had revised 'Phytomining'. It was a 6 mark question and I didn't know what it was, so I guessed it was combustion of a virus! How silly of me! :frown:

Let me know how others found it :frown:

wait.. WHAT?! what were the questions :cool::colondollar:
Original post by ohmyapplepie
They took the gases that were though in the early atmoshere (Nitrogen, CO2, Ammonia, Methane and water vapour) and added electrical sparks to them. The result was that 11 amino acids were formed.

Bit basic, but there you go!

Thank you! And so the amino acids are the basics to life etc..
I'm only joking, sorry to get your hopes up everybody!

wow.. lol
Predictions?
Thank you! And so the amino acids are the basics to life etc..

Pretty much I think! Thanks for the rep :smile:
Original post by chronicmusic
Predictions?

6 marker being being either (in my opinion)
-extraction of metal OR purifying of metals
-limestone cycle
-+ and - of mining (i.e. quarrying etc)
Original post by Blueyy__
heya, its basically a process in which scientists 'miller and urey' were trying to re-create Earth's early atmosphere and see how/if life was formed (which it was - amino acids were formed)

here is a diagram :smile:

--the electricity sparks represent lghtning
--gases in the atmospere (the circular glass thing) were roughly CO2, Nitrogen, (i think oxygen) and a mixture of other gases, such as Argon etc

Thank you so much! So the amino acids are basics of life and stuff.
Thank you so much! So the amino acids are basics of life and stuff.

yes! amino acids are essential for protein growth - which is essential for building life :smile:
No. Aren't amino acids are used to make sperm in a females vagina?

no..
Reply 194
Just did a past paper and had trouble on one question. They mentioned argon being used in the production of Titanium and it is apparently because it is not reactive, and if oxygen had been used it would have oxidized either Magnesium or Titanium, worth noting for the exam just in case...

And also they mentioned Copper Carbonate, and eventually it becomes Copper Oxide or something so no more Carbon Dioxide is produced when it is heated.
Original post by FS97
Just did a past paper and had trouble on one question. They mentioned argon being used in the production of Titanium and it is apparently because it is not reactive, and if oxygen had been used it would have oxidized either Magnesium or Titanium, worth noting for the exam just in case...

And also they mentioned Copper Carbonate, and eventually it becomes Copper Oxide or something so no more Carbon Dioxide is produced when it is heated.

Out of curiosity, what year was that paper from?
Original post by Blueyy__
6 marker being being either (in my opinion)
-extraction of metal OR purifying of metals
-limestone cycle
-+ and - of mining (i.e. quarrying etc)

Thanks
Reply 197
Original post by thepurplerain
Out of curiosity, what year was that paper from?

I think it was the Jan, 2013 paper
I have a few questions for you guys.

1. Explain fractional distillation.
2. Explain the Miller-Urey experiment and the primordial soup theory.
3. Outline the benefits, drawbacks and risks of using metals as structural materials.
4. Explain the methods of extracting copper from low-grade ores.

And does anyone have any 6 marker predictions? I'm intrigued. :P
(edited 9 years ago)
I struggle with questions such as, for example, if it was a question on how something is produced in a kiln and the questions would be like "why is a certain gas produced" or smiliar, the reactions of gases in the air confuse me a bit, could someone recommend what to revise for this or how to help?? I hope I explained this okay:tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending